Completely new to Photography! I need your help!

caputok1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, Iv recently been really into taking photos. I purchased the iPhone and got the app called Hipstamatic. I don't know if you guys ever heard of it but its pretty much a vintage 35mm camera I guess? I don't really have any experience with cameras other than a few digital cameras and the iPhone. Anywho, I was looking at buying a nice camera that has similar qualities to this application. So, I was looking at Nikons and came across the FM10. I know its a film camera, would you guys recommend this? I mean, if I did get this how would I get the pictures onto my computer? Any recommendations on what to get?

well i think you would need a film scanner

Hey guys, Iv recently been really into taking photos. I purchased the iPhone and got the app called Hipstamatic. I don't know if you guys ever heard of it but its pretty much a vintage 35mm camera I guess? I don't really have any experience with cameras other than a few digital cameras and the iPhone. Anywho, I was looking at buying a nice camera that has similar qualities to this application. So, I was looking at Nikons and came across the FM10. I know its a film camera, would you guys recommend this? I mean, if I did get this how would I get the pictures onto my computer? Any recommendations on what to get?

Transferring film/negatives to digital is easily done using a scanner that connects to you computer. There are MANY scanners out there... Some good... Some not so good. I believe that the ones that use a negative scanner are most recommended...

But you may want to consider buying a low end or used Digital SLR to start with... And if you decide to stick with photography... upgrade at that point...

Canon and Nikon (amoung others) offer great starter models. The Canon Rebel lineup is nice... I know Nikon has a similar linwup, but I am a Canon shooter.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the quick response! Ya, it doesn't have to be a Nikon. I guess what Im really looking for is a camera with vintage effects? and it would be nice to just connect it directly to my computer. I do really like the 35mm though.

Thanks guys for the quick response! Ya, it doesn't have to be a Nikon. I guess what Im really looking for is a camera with vintage effects? and it would be nice to just connect it directly to my computer. I do really like the 35mm though.

You can't connect a 35mm directly to you computer. A digital camera is the best bet for this... And an SLR (single lens reflex) is not the only solution.

An SLR (35mm or digital) will offer you more flexibility as far as setting go... generally speaking... but there are many solutions.

The new dSLR's (digital SLR's) that are out ther today really offer most, if not all of what those vintage camera's had to offer...

With a dSLR, some post processing skill (Photoshop, Gimp or another software...), some talent/willingness to learn about photography and a lot of patience... you can make some great photos. :)

What's your budget?

I get the impression they are looking for a camera that spits out vintage looking photos?

Thanks again guys for the responses. Um i would have to say for a budget of around 250$-300$? Again Im totally alien to the Photography world so I don't even know what I can get for the money. But yes Im looking for vintage. Open for all opinions..

Looking at some of the SLR's, they are quite expensive, I guess I would definitely need a higher budget for those. Any other options for not spending around 800+$? Also if i were to get a 35mm, is it a pain to scan prints onto a computer?

Last edited:
you know... digital is very nice to mess around. If you are using film and have no idea what you are doing, youll waste your whole roll.

Buy used on Craigslist!

Used, quality 35mm film cameras are all over eBay. I'd suggest sticking with a better name/model, like a Canon AE-1 or a Nikon FE. Both are readily available and relatively inexpensive. I have a Nikon FE along with a really nice assortment of lenses. It's more of a toy than anything else... I'm much happier taking digitals.

Alright, so I have been researching a lot and came across the Canon EOS Rebel XS Kit with EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens 10.1 Megapixel. It might be the one, any negative aspects?

Alright, so I have been researching a lot and came across the Canon EOS Rebel XS Kit with EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens 10.1 Megapixel. It might be the one, any negative aspects?

New? Used? Price?

The Rebel XS is a nice camera. Its a Canon... So it can't be bad. :lmao:

I got my Canon Rebel XT (dslr) for $305 on ebay in great condition, a good entry digital camera but Im sure others brands are in the same price range.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back