Computer question

People are so optimistic about this field. Some of it for good reason, there will always be a need, but not for everyone with a cert. Certifications are a stepping stone to employment, they are not the end all be all of getting a job in IT. The industry is slow right now, and will be for awhile. Meanwhile colleges are pumping out more computer science degree's then ever before. When the market picks up, if you don't have at least a 4 yr degree in comp sci, then good luck to ya. Some have been fortunate to keep their jobs that don't have degree's, many have not. Many with graduate degree's have been phased out as well.
You may know 3 times as much as some loser with a masters in Comp Sci, but when it gets down to hiring someone, Human Resorces will 90% of the time pick the loser with the masters.
A cert. is fluff that you can add to your resume if you have a degree to back it up.
I know some will disagree with me, but i know first hand that if you don't have a degree your goig to be ****ed when the market picks back up.
Your right in that security is the future, it won't be outsourced, but it will also be the job that requires the most expertise, and companies will not be able to risk their network security to someone that hasn't been willing to show the fortitude that getting a degree shows.
Plus Trish, be very certain that it is a thankless job, the layman knows nothing about what you do, and even more rarely cares.

all good points havoc!!

but rest assured, im not looking for gratitude or a job well done pat on the back type of thing. i just want to be super duper smart and learn as much as i can about this stuff, so when the time comes...i will be prepared to get a super phat job yo.

thanks for all yalls comments.

md

Havoc said:
You may know 3 times as much as some loser with a masters in Comp Sci, but when it gets down to hiring someone, Human Resorces will 90% of the time pick the loser with the masters.

True true!!

IMHO People often place far too much importance on certification. I have my CCNA. I picked it up a few years ago. It's really done nothing for me. I had originally planned on following it up with my CCNP and MCSE, but ultimately decided it was a waste of time and money. My CCNA will expire at the end of this year and I have no intention to go after it again.

I've seen folks with any cert you could imagine, but still have no idea what's going on (that's really not the problem I have with certification though.). The big problem I have with certs is that they're put out by companies. Microsoft and Cisco get to decide who the qualified people are? All Cisco and Microsoft are doing is trying to flood the market with individuals who's answer to everything will be "Let's go Cisco" or "oh ya, Microsoft just released a new version of Advanced Server so we have to upgrade everything."

Don't get me wrong, if you're out job hunting certifications will stand out on a resume. The fact that a lot of organizations use them as requirements is not right. Certification from Cisco or Microsoft should not be weighed higher over real life (hands on) experience.

Certifications may get you in the door, but experience will (or should) get you the job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back