computer to flat screen tv

jcsphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first ever post, so I hope this works. I just bought a flat screen tv to show large high quality images for prospective clients to view. What is the best way to connect to my compter (in another room) so that I can have control over what is displayed. I have a wireless router, but if the tv can connect to that signal, how do I navigate etc. Do I need to attach a laptop directly to the tv and navigate on the laptop to the files. Should this be done with a HDMI connection?
Thanks for your input.
Joe

KmH,
Thanks for this great article. If my computer is in the other room, what is the best way to acess it on the tv?

There are all sorts of ways to do this -- we'd probably benefit from knowing what sort of TV you've got, and whether there's anything hooked up to it that can access your PC over the network. Perhaps the easiest option would be to see if your TV has a USB port -- you might be able to just load photos on a USB memory stick and walk them over to the TV. Otherwise, some TV's have wifi and can read DLNA servers, or if you've got a PS/3 or XBox connected to the TV, they might be able to load photos. You might even look at something like Apple TV, or Roku, or maybe even Google's Chromecast.

I use xbox 360 and the media center app, pretty good stuff, play music, look at photos, and play videos of many different encodings. pretty fast too, and not too buggy. it will basically allow you to access anything you put in the library that is on your computer

I use it when I have friends over and want to show some recent photos, it also works well as a screen saver type slideshow

Just picked up a device for myself that plugs into tv hdmi and then communicates via wifi to iPhones androids and possibly computers. I don't see why it wouldn't when it broadcasts its own ssid like a router does. Then it can view photos movies and or mirror what is on your screen.

Holler if you need more info and ill see if I can direct you in the right direction.

Sent from my Tapatalk enabled device.

Is your TV a 'smart' TV? Many of the new TVs can connect to a network in order to access all sorts of on-line content. If you have your computer set up on a home network, then you should be able to share/view media files like photos and videos.

I bought a new TV this year, and after a lot of research, I bought a 'dumb' TV rather than an expensive 'smart' one, but then I bought a smart BlueRay player which allows me to connect to my network. You could also use a modern gaming system or even a media hub/player.

My TV does have USB and memory card slots though, so that might be the easiest way.

I have also been connecting my laptop to my TV via HDMI cable. The laptop makes it easy to access files on my network (the blueray is dreadfully slow).

Most reactions

Back