Computer whiz's I need your help.

Brotage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So there was this laptop on sale at bestbuy (200$ off) I don't think it's anything fancy. but I don't know anything about computers. We were going to get laptops (we as in family) for christmas anyway but I guess this was such a good deal..

here it is
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...aptop&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1210379087572

I would rather research something like this for a pretty long time before I buy anything more than a few hundred. So, I haven't opened the box so if it's a piece of crap I can return no problem.

I'll be using it for some games (nothing groundbreaking graphics wise.. I think they came out in 2000) and general internet surfing..

but mostly photos and editing which is what I'm most concerned about.

So is it a piece of crap that I should return and get something else? or is it worth the money? (It came out to be 480$)

Maybe I'm just old, but I think that $480 is a pittance for a LAPTOP of this performance (nothing really crazy now but WOW compared to even 1.5 years ago, I paid a grand for a single core laptop w/ 548mb of RAM, not my main photo rig but nonetheless), and yes I think it'll be fine for 8 year old games and some photo editing, yes.

I'll be using it for some games (nothing groundbreaking graphics wise.. I think they came out in 2000) and general internet surfing..

but mostly photos and editing which is what I'm most concerned about.

I bought my laptop 6 years ago for almost $3000 - just because I wanted and I felt like to have a laptop in addition of a desktop I had and still have. Ever since that time this laptop has been sitting on the same table, never use it anywhere else. The games and everything else are done with the desktop which has more gut.

So, is the laptop you intent to own will move around or will it sit tight in the same table?

For what your wanting to do this laptop will be just fine. If you will be doing an internet gaming you will need something a little more powerfull...preferably a Desktop.

I did notice that it is sold out now.

yeah, my brother got one too and opened his. downloaded counterstrike 1.6... and theres no way I would play with how crappy it was on that. so I guess I can forget games.

but as for photos and editing will it be good?

overall is it a good laptop?

My limit was 1000$ I think, but I really don't want to break my aunts bank..

so if you want to suggest other ones under 1000 feel free to

The only problem with running counterstrike on there is the fact that you're running vista.

P.S. the biggest problem you're going to have with that laptop would be the video card and you'd have to spend a considerable amount more for a laptop with a better video card.

The only problem with running counterstrike on there is the fact that you're running vista.

I asked the guy if I could put windows XP on it and he said it would cause more problems... but I'm not really sure if it actually would.

It would be really nice to have a laptop that can play those games though, and to the guy that asked no it wouldn't be sitting on my table. I usually go to my friends house and we skate or something, it would just be nice to have for all those "that 70's show marathons" meaning we don't know what to do and all he has on his tivo is that 70's show. I could put pictures on and what not

And what should I look for in laptops? for photos and editing? and games?

Running XP should not be a problem at all if I'm not mistaken
Microsoft offered a downgrade from vista to XP a while ago. Personally I prefer Linux but it takes too much effort to do the things most people do. XP would be a good choice until they got the bugs worked out of Vista. For a laptop that is about as good as you're going to get the only thing you could look for that would be better is a little more ram and a video card with dedicated ram.

Let's step back a minute. I have owned 10+ Vista computers, and am always in the market for some "budget" laptops.

Fact: Vista SP1 dramatically improves reliability.
For me - graphics, no games - Vista has been GREAT. Clean up all the junk that comes on there and strip it to the basics. Install Avast! Antivirus. It's free and is very compatible with Vista.

The problem with this? The processor. Intel slipped out the "Pentium Dual Core" in the midst of the dual-core hype. They didn't heavily advertise it, but now that people go into BB saying "I want a Dual-Core PC" the stores have something to offer besides a Celeron. Don't get me wrong...this is better than a Celeron, but is at the bottom of the chain in popular dual-core processors.

If you can swing $599, you can get much better bang for the buck. Like, an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, a bigger hard disk, and more memory. I bought my laptop a couple weeks ago - a simple cheap Gateway. $699, 64-bit Vista Premium SP1, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 4hr battery, 15.4" nice LCD, and a very slick design. Anyway, I've seen the 14" with a 250GB drive for $599 several times. Pretty crazy.

Anyway, I'd say save up a hundred extra bucks and look around for a couple weeks. Look for a Core 2 Duo (not Pentium Dual Core) and a bit more RAM.

Most reactions

Back