Computer?

If money is tight... any i3 or better laptop w/ 2gb or 4gb of ram will do fine. A bigger monitor may seem important, but... get an external monitor for like $200 at best buy, sams club, bjs wherever... and the smaller screen is more portable, and you have full size when at home. A laptop w/ a monitor, usb keyboard, and a usb mouse IS a desktop... except you can unplug the stuff and take it with you.

If money is tight, you can use GIMP, but you'll have to surmount the learning curve.

Luckily, I think lots of youtube videos are available these days to show you how to do different things with GIMP.

Laptops can still be excellent photo editing machines. You just need to add a decent desktop monitor. If you can fit it in the budget see if you can put $350 or so aside for it.

Yup,

I purchased a laptop, and got a great deal (IMO at least). So we shall see how it goes!

Yup,

I purchased a laptop, and got a great deal (IMO at least). So we shall see how it goes!

I lost my desk computer about two months ago and haven't replaced it. I may not replace it. The day after that loss I upgraded my laptop to 8 gigs RAM and it can handle the editing. Storage is on external drives which I didn't lose. So a laptop can work, but, BUT, BIG BUT, I would never try and edit a photo using the display on my laptop. Along with that 8 gigs of RAM to upgrade the laptop I also brought home an HDMI to DVI cable and attached the laptop to my desktop display and immediately ran a calibration for the display.

Laptop displays are not acceptable for photo editing.

Joe

I've had no issue with it so far. Since I am not going crazy with editing and am no professional, I think its just perfect!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back