Confused over which lense does what... please help buying new camera and lense

lbowman920

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay so I have a film slr and have finally decided to go digital. I have decided on the rebel xti and have found several different kits on ebay that I have been looking at. My questing is which lenses would I be looking for in the kits, some kits have standard 18-55 some have 28 - something and some 70-300 I think. What do these lenses do and when looking for a kit that has extra lenses what lense should I be looking for. I would like to do some close ups of my children and pets and just vacation shots like beach, lighthouse, I would also be doing shots of animals some times. If that helps at all. I would like one with the most zoom I guess.

That One Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
it would help if you posted some links to the kits you are looking at.

the most zoom would be the 70-300mm, but there are many other factors to consider as well.

like:

aperture of the lens.
your purpose or what you are going to be photographing.
quality.

i own the xt and shot with the kit lens for about a year. i bought a prime lens (50mm f1.8 no zoom) and all i can say is wow!! it blew away the kit lens. better colors. sharper photos, etc

i am now going to upgrade to the 70-200mm f4.0 L

the lens is what makes your photos......remember that.

That One Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
one more thing

the 18-55mm kit is the kit lens i had. it took great photos.

the kit that has the 28mm: this could be a prime lens. if so, the zoom is your feet.

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
get the 18-55 kit lens. 70 to whatever is too long for a begginer probably, and the quality probably blows with a range like that.

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
A lot of those kits on ebay just have a bunch of extra junk and counterfeit lenses thrown in with them. Just start with the basic kit lens and maybe a 50mm prime. so find out what specifically they come with and let us know.

Most reactions

ClickASnap