Confused with 6D vs 80D

shashankdombe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All. I am planning to upgrade my 1200D which I am using from bit more than an year. I use it for hobby and mainly shoot portraits, parties and bit of landscapes.

Now thinking of upgrading to better one but confused between 80D or 6D..

Have a wedding in family couple of weeks and thinking of buying one before that. I have budget for 80D 18-135mm and I can extend it for 6D with 24-105 F4L.

Tired of checking reviews but still couldn't decide. I don't do sports and wildlife normally and mainly use one point to focus. I see advantages in dynamic ranges with full frame 6d but always I have to carry a speedlite with it.

I need some advice on choosing right upgrade for me now. Now I mainly use 50mm 1.8.

I was thinking 80d now and upgrading to full frame may be 5D mark 4 in near future when I start making money out of it.

Thanks in advance for all.

You havent even stated what kind of photography you want to do.

Thus on what basis am I supposed to give you any tips ?

Started making money, I like that.
Just wondering did you study photography ?
Did you shoot already weddings and events before ?
The camera is but a tool, to shoot for money you need the knowledge which takes years or else you will have unhappy customers.

For evets I recommend always full frame, yes you can shoot whole event easily with the 80D but full frame will be an advantage.
I know few of my fellow event photographers who use the 6D for this type of work and all are very happy with it, tried it once and was very impressed.
Personally I would wait for the 6DII or bite the bullet and get the 5D IV or get a lightly used 5D III mainly because of the AF which is super basic on the 6D

You havent even stated what kind of photography you want to do.

Thus on what basis am I supposed to give you any tips ?
I am sorry if I didn't specify clearly. Mainly portraits and walk around street photography. May be a little landscape.

Started making money, I like that.
Just wondering did you study photography ?
Did you shoot already weddings and events before ?
The camera is but a tool, to shoot for money you need the knowledge which takes years or else you will have unhappy customers.

For evets I recommend always full frame, yes you can shoot whole event easily with the 80D but full frame will be an advantage.
I know few of my fellow event photographers who use the 6D for this type of work and all are very happy with it, tried it once and was very impressed.
Personally I would wait for the 6DII or bite the bullet and get the 5D IV or get a lightly used 5D III mainly because of the AF which is super basic on the 6D
It has a long way to go. Doing a regular 8 to 5 job and hooked up with cameras an year ago. Now regrettting for buying super entry camera. If I was having a decent mid range I would be putting money on some glass. But as per my understanding better to have a decent body with quality lenses. Correct me if I am wrong.
Didn't do any course just web and YouTube.
Never worked for money but got patting on the back few times from professionals.
Just want to cultivate this hobby in right direction.
6D is bit above budget and looking for used ones.
I was thinking of getting 80D body and finding some good replacements for 18-135 usm. I borrowed few L lenses in last shoot and fell in love. So thinking of putting that 400 USD in other lenses.
I agree with AF of 6D. But I got used with center point focus and recomposing.
Let me if I am doing anything wrong and if there is a better way I can use my money.

Well the main and most important tool is the photographers skills.
You can shoot great wedding photos with both the 80D and 6D but you need to know what you are doing and that's the key.
You need to find a mentor to work with you, to do weddings and other events.
First you need to know the basics of ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed, learn composition and shoot as many weddings as second shooter till you are ready to work on your own.
Full frame is better but the 80D is good too, in wedding in most cases you use a flash anyways, the only problem is if you can use your flash or subject is far for the power of the flash and then the full frame advantage will be critical.
You can shoot a wedding with the 18-135mm but I would recommend a faster lens.
My go to lens for events is the 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8
But you can consider slower lenses if you are really short on cash.
Another option is using primes, some of them are very cheap and still very effective in most cases

I, personally, like the full-frame camera and the way it "sees the real world" with old-style lenses, like the 24mm prime, the 28mm prime, the 35mm prime, 50mm prime, and the 85mm prime, the 105mm prime, the 135mm prime, the 180mm or 200mm prime, and the 300mm f/4 prime, and also the way it works with the 70-200mm zooms, and the 24-86mm walk-about zooms. THOSE are the basic tools of 35mm-style photography, and have been since the beginning of the 1960's with the Nikon F 356mm SLR system. 24,25,35,50,85, 100 or 105, 135, and 180mm and 200mm were "the basics"; the 300mm was the long lens; the 20 was rare, and exotic and was considered ultra-wide for many years, then in the 1980's the "ultra-wide" became the 17mm or 18mm length.

I owned both a 20D and a 5D Canon with the 24-105-L, and a few other lenses: the 50/1.4, the EF 100/2.8 IF macro, 135/2-L, the little 135/2.8 Soft Focus, and 70-200/3.8 L IS USM, and a Sigma 18-125 for the 20D for walkabout. 580 EX-II speedlight. It was a good system, and I got into it in the 2005 and 2006 era, when the 5D was new and exciting, and cuting-edge in image quality. The 5D classic is STILL a very viable portraiture camera, no matter its age.

Personally...I prefer the way the bigger sensor makes use of so,so many lens lengths. MOST Canon lenses are, and were, designed for use on the 24 x 36mm size capture medium. There is ***NO*** size or weight advantage to APS-C or m4/3 once the lenses get longer or faster than the normal, consumer-level designs that Canon sells. A 135mm f/2 is the size it is. The 70-200/4 L-IS USM is nice! Sweet lens! But on an 80D...that fantastic lens becomes almost useless over most of its range indoors, except in the largest of buildings.

Let me share an example I've been using. Wedding. Bridal couple, full-length portrait, 8.45 foot tall picture area needed for the two people. Canon 6D and the NICE 85/1.8 EF USM lens (loved it!). Distance? 20.0 feet. With the 80D? You need to be wayyy back, at 34.5 feet. PERFECT distance for people to walk in front of you, constantly, unaware that, "Oh...he's taking a picture of them, from wayyyyy over there!"

Perfect for shouting posing instructions.

Last edited:
Indoors? Full frame. 12.2 million pixels, 12.8 million, 24 million pixels, 36MP, 42MP: all can make great images. The actual size of the world shown is not that big! 16 to 24 MP is really quite nice on people pics, and it gives the expected background defocus, and the picture angles of view, from the normal, regular, real-world working ranges for singles, couples, and groups. FX or FF has a "look" at closer distances, like out to 100 feet.

Outdoors? Either one, FF or APS-C: all can make great pictures, with high image quality. There are some real differences though: expect that the 36- and 42MP Nikon D810 and the big Sony to give more detail, a sense of higher visual acuity, than say, a 16-MP Nikon D7000 shot made with an 18-55. I think APS-C has that little extra bit of depth of field, per identical picture angle, that favors APS-C for medium and tele-work. Buuuuut, I also love the look of FX Nikon or FF Canon, and the classic lenses, the 85,135, and the 70-200, shot on a big sensor.

The biggest problem with APS-C is groups, portraits, and wide-angles and such. AWFUL look at the 30,32,34,35,40mm lengths; shows the background wayyyyyyy too clearly beyond 25 feet, due to sensor size/lens needed/real-world f/stops. In the above example with the 85mm lens, at 34.5 feet...check the DOF tables on-line for f/5.6. APS-C backdrops become MUCH more-recognizable on almost any image shot on APS-C beyond 20,25 feet. DOF can be numerically quantified, but the human visual system SEES the "look" of iPhone and APS-C pictures very readily, and they do not look "like professionally done pictures" for people work.

In the APS-C format, the "new" 24 MP sensors are a step up from the older-gen 12MP, 16 MP, and 18 MP sensors. The Nikon and Sony ones are state of the art; Canon's new 24MP 1.6x sensor is an improvement over the old ones they ran with for 7 years.

Long-range shooting: High-density (meaning high-MP, like 24 MP) APS-C sensor. Leverages that long glass for shooting tightly-framed, long-range pictures, especially if the light level is decent. CAMERA itself though, can be a factor here, for some uses.

Last edited:
Inhave a 70D, love it but concur with Derrel it can be a challenge to shoot groups indoors.

You can shoot great wedding photos with both the 80D and 6D but you need to know what you are doing and that's the key.
First you need to know the basics of ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed, learn composition and shoot as many weddings as second shooter till you are ready to work on your own.
Full frame is better but the 80D is good too, in wedding in most cases you use a flash anyways, the only problem is if you can use your flash or subject is far for the power of the flash and then the full frame advantage will be critical.
Another option is using primes, some of them are very cheap and still very effective in most cases
I will be working with a professional event and wedding photographer from next month. Mostly on weekends as a second shooter.
I have short of budget for new 6D. If I don't get an used 6D in my budget, I will go for 80D. But I don't want to invest on 18-135 USM lense.
I own a 50mm 1.8 + 18-55 IS II + 55-250 IS II in which I didn't touch kit lense once i bought prime.
So my bargain will be 80D+ new EF-S 24 2.8(cheap) + 85mm 1.8 STM/USM or 80D + EF 24-70 F4L + EF-S 24mm 2.8(walk around lens)
I had an offer for the 70D demo piece for 650 USD(I believe not a bad deal)

I would buy a clean, used Canon 6D.
I think that is one of the suggestion I wanted to here. Looking for one at the moment in the budget and I may add a 24-105 F4 L. Along with my 50mm 1.8 it can serve me well for the moment.

Inhave a 70D, love it but concur with Derrel it can be a challenge to shoot groups indoors.
I have a good deal of 70D Demo unit for 650 USD. New 80D body costs 1050 USD. I can put that 500 on some good glass but not sure about 70D. Does the step up to 80D is significant except AF?

1050-650= 400

I have a good deal of 70D Demo unit for 650 USD. New 80D body costs 1050 USD. I can put that 500 on some good glass but not sure about 70D. Does the step up to 80D is significant except AF?

I will be working with a professional event and wedding photographer from next month. Mostly on weekends as a second shooter.
I have short of budget for new 6D. If I don't get an used 6D in my budget, I will go for 80D. But I don't want to invest on 18-135 USM lense.
I own a 50mm 1.8 + 18-55 IS II + 55-250 IS II in which I didn't touch kit lense once i bought prime.
So my bargain will be 80D+ new EF-S 24 2.8(cheap) + 85mm 1.8 STM/USM or 80D + EF 24-70 F4L + EF-S 24mm 2.8(walk around lens)
I had an offer for the 70D demo piece for 650 USD(I believe not a bad deal)
Then you are serious and going the right way, good, very good.

Get the 6D, don't bother with the 80D
In weddings and events I use both crop sensor and full frame and like Derrel said there is a problem with group shots.
Get the 6D with the 24-105mm F4 and a 50mm 1.8
These 2 lenses are a good start
Another option is the 6D with a used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC and 50mm 1.8, in future add the 70-200mm 2.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back