Confused with 6D vs 80D

6D and the f/4, stabilizer-equipped 24-105 L-IS USM lens...that lens was sold as the paired or "kit zoom" with the 5D and 5D-II and I suspect 5D-III and 6D bodies. Available in a big box, I payed like $3,800 for the 5D classic and the 24-105 f/4 L-IS USM zoom..all in one box!! So...this lens is available, used, all over the world, for $600 or so, more or less. It has all the lengths you will actually "need"...24,28,35,40,45,50,60,70,85,100, and 105mm...any "classic 35mm format" length is in the 24-105. And it is an L-class lens. And it has USM focus, and it has the stabilizer feature for slow-speed, low-light landscapes and travel and creative photos.

Plus, it is f/4: so it will keep you from making awful wedding pics shot at f/2.8, with no DOF. The 6D has a good sensor in it, a BIG sensor. It has high image quality, even at higher ISO levels like 3,200.

In my area, used 6D Canon bodies with 2 batteries and charger are $900 or so. I know costs vary around the world, but this is one heck of a solid workhorse for weddings, portraits, travel, general photos. The 50mm lens on this is very good. PLUS, on 24 x 36 format, the basic 35mm f/2 lens looks good for candid pics of groups: not too much distortion at the corners of the frame. 85mm is a solid portrait lens. The 6D has good enough higher-ISO quality that you CAN EASILY buy f/4 zooms...you do NOT need the 70-200 f/2.8...the smaller, new 70-200 f/4 L IS is a GREAT lens, and balances so well on the 6D. Plus...at f/4 it is quite good optically: it is a NEW lens design, it is not the 20 year-old f/4 version.

Like goodguy above says: "
Get the 6D with the 24-105mm F4 and a 50mm 1.8
These 2 lenses are a good start
Another option is the 6D with a used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC and 50mm 1.8"

Well the main and most important tool is the photographers skills.
You can shoot great wedding photos with both the 80D and 6D but you need to know what you are doing and that's the key.
You need to find a mentor to work with you, to do weddings and other events.
First you need to know the basics of ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed, learn composition and shoot as many weddings as second shooter till you are ready to work on your own.
Full frame is better but the 80D is good too, in wedding in most cases you use a flash anyways, the only problem is if you can use your flash or subject is far for the power of the flash and then the full frame advantage will be critical.
You can shoot a wedding with the 18-135mm but I would recommend a faster lens.
My go to lens for events is the 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8
But you can consider slower lenses if you are really short on cash.
Another option is using primes, some of them are very cheap and still very effective in most cases
I will be working with a professional event and wedding photographer from next month. Mostly on weekends as a second shooter.
I have short of budget for new 6D. If I don't get an used 6D in my budget, I will go for 80D. But I don't want to invest on 18-135 USM lense.
I own a 50mm 1.8 + 18-55 IS II + 55-250 IS II in which I didn't touch kit lense once i bought prime.
So my bargain will be 80D+ new EF-S 24 2.8(cheap) + 85mm 1.8 STM/USM or 80D + EF 24-70 F4L + EF-S 24mm 2.8(walk around lens)
I had an offer for the 70D demo piece for 650 USD(I believe not a bad deal)
Then you are serious and going the right way, good, very good.

Get the 6D, don't bother with the 80D
In weddings and events I use both crop sensor and full frame and like Derrel said there is a problem with group shots.
Get the 6D with the 24-105mm F4 and a 50mm 1.8
These 2 lenses are a good start
Another option is the 6D with a used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC and 50mm 1.8, in future add the 70-200mm 2.8
Thank you for the suggestions. I am pleased to find some local craigslist kind of service post for 5D Mk3 around 1000 USD with 24-105 F4L. I am trying to get one and I own a 50mm 1.8 already.
As you told it will be enough for me to start with.
Found some body with less than 10,000 Shutter counts. I hope I can get it delivered soon

I don't have a 6D but do have the 5D Mk3 and the 80D. Both cameras have their place. I really like the new features on the 80D like touch screen, better video, and time lapse. Also I like the sensor on the 80D as well as the 5D. My walk around camera will be either the G7X or the 80D because of weight. The 5D will get used for specific landscape shots and portrait. I'm glad I have all 3 now.

I just got some offers on 6D. I mean pretty good offers. one with 50K shutter counts around 800USD.
Is it worth to buy body with almost half of the shutter life(100K as per canon) for nearly half of the price of new?
and as a hobby portrait and wedding photographer I wanted to know which one of these suits better. Tamron 70-200 f2.8 image stabilized or 24-105 f4L?

I just got some offers on 6D. I mean pretty good offers. one with 50K shutter counts around 800USD.
Is it worth to buy body with almost half of the shutter life(100K as per canon) for nearly half of the price of new?
and as a hobby portrait and wedding photographer I wanted to know which one of these suits better. Tamron 70-200 f2.8 image stabilized or 24-105 f4L?
Given what you are shooting, I think you will need the 24-105 as the 1st lens. Pretty tough to shoot groups at a wedding with a 70-200 but, you can shoot the entire wedding and your portraits with the 24-105.

Why not rent then spend the money you have and the money you'll get to get the setup you want?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back