Considering a switch from Full frame DSLR to mirrorless, have a few questions

nzmacro said:
Very interesting if you are into mirrorless AF ..........

Well worth spending the time on this video.

Danny.

It's even MORE worthhwile comparing The Camera Store's February, 2014 video, where they praised the sh*+ out of the Fuji XT-1, and then comparing what they said about it then against what they say about it NOW in this subsequent video. Remember--these videos are being done by a Canadian company that wants to sell cameras and lenses.

Here are a few quotes and time stamps for the earlier hype abiout the fuji XT-1:
Feb 16, 2014 video produced by The Camera Store
6:00 we have to talk about autofocus.
6:23 "It's like a machine gun".
6:26 "And we're certainly getting a full eight frames per second shooting."
6:44 At 8 frames per second, it followed that very nicely!"
6:55 "I'm getting a really good hit rate."
7:00 "I'm really impressed!"

And now, in the video linked above in post #33, today, we see things like this said about the XT-1:

5:44 "But when it came to the continuous autofocusing tests and this fast shooting, this is probably going to be the bottom of the bunch." "It doesn't have a very fast frame rate that it can sustain when it's trying to track moving subjects." "The buffer filled up pretty quick too."

6:21 "The other thing that I find ,sometimes it has a really HARD and slow time trying to get the initial focus."

Cough, cough,cough.

Nary a pom-pom in sight, either. I can hear the forehead slaps at Fuji.ca now.

Last edited by a moderator:
A month or so ago I traded my whole dslr setup (d5200 and 4 lenses, mostly primes) in for the new Sony A6000 for exactly the reason the OP expressed. I was leaving my dslr home far too often because of the bulk, yes I know it isn't huge compared to a full frame but still was holding me back. Plus I didn't like how dslr tend to draw attention in street photography when you're trying to remain inconspicuous. Love just about everything about the a6000. Top of the list would be the size of weight especially with the Sony 35mm 1.8 OSS which is my go to prime for most walk around use. It's ridiculously light while still feeling like a quality piece of kit. Close second would be the autofocus, if you've read any reviews you'll hear how crazy fast the autofocus is. My d5200 might have been near as fast in some situations like low light but with the a6000 having 179 phase detect focus points covering 92% of the frame it blows it away for versatility. Don't use the potential of the 11 fps shooting but it's nice to have available. The switch from OVF to EVF wasn't a big deal for me and was a benefit in many situations. I enjoy being able to see how the photo with turn out as far as exposure and depth of field which a OVF just can't do. I use the EVF almost exclusively in bright light. And I lost nothing in image quality going from the d5200 to the a6000.
I just love having my essential walk around kit being so small fitting in a bag my old dslr body and small prime probably wouldn't fit in, let alone with the accessories I carry (battery, memory cards, ND and CP filters, lenspen, manfrotto pocket tripod, remote control, expodisc....). For a $650 body it's a ridiculous value since it tends to be compared to much more expensive competitors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

nzmacro said:
Very interesting if you are into mirrorless AF ..........

Well worth spending the time on this video.

Danny.

It's even MORE worthhwile comparing The Camera Store's February, 2014 video, where they praised the sh*+ out of the Fuji XT-1, and then comparing what they said about it then against what they say about it NOW in this subsequent video. Remember--these videos are being done by a Canadian company that wants to sell cameras and lenses.

Here are a few quotes and time stamps for the earlier hype abiout the fuji XT-1:
Feb 16, 2014 video produced by The Camera Store
6:00 we have to talk about autofocus.
6:23 "It's like a machine gun".
6:26 "And we're certainly getting a full eight frames per second shooting."
6:44 At 8 frames per second, it followed that very nicely!"
6:55 "I'm getting a really good hit rate."
7:00 "I'm really impressed!"

And now, in the video linked above in post #33, today, we see things like this said about the XT-1:

5:44 "But when it came to the continuous autofocusing tests and this fast shooting, this is probably going to be the bottom of the bunch." "It doesn't have a very fast frame rate that it can sustain when it's trying to track moving subjects." "The buffer filled up pretty quick too."

6:21 "The other thing that I find ,sometimes it has a really HARD and slow time trying to get the initial focus."

Cough, cough,cough.

Nary a pom-pom in sight, either. I can hear the forehead slaps at Fuji.ca now.

I had this camera for a day. It is a very, very good camera. Fun to use, quality all round, the glass is ridiculously good. It just murders any cropped DSLR. One of those very rare cameras once tried you hate to see it go. I do not know about Canada, but in UK you have to pre-order XT-1 and wait. It sells faster than any other camera - by a country mile. I can not hear any forehead slaps, FUJI hit the bull's eye here, big time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an article written by Thom Hogan, describing how a Nikon D7100 outfit, a Fuji XT-1 outfit, and an Olympus E-M1 outfit ACTUALLY worked on his two-week Galapagos workshop trip earlier this year.Equipment Used at the Workshop | byThom Sites | Thom Hogan

"The E-M1 and X-T1 were slightly more of a mixed bag, mostly attributable to focus. While most of us figured out ways to deal with fast motion and getting in focus shots, for me the EM-1 turned out to be the better choice, and I believe that is mostly due to lenses and the snap of the initial focus acquisition. The long telephoto option for the X-T1 does not seem to be as fast at adjusting focus as the m4/3 options we were using, and tended to move less rapidly to initial focus. If—and that’s a big if—you acquire focus and can keep the moving subject where the X-T1 wants it with the 55-200mm lens zoomed in, you’re fine, it’s actually better at holding focus tracking on regularly moving subjects than the E-M1 by a bit, though it will sometimes vary the burst rate doing so. Beware of what happens when you temporarily lose focus: more often than not you’re hosed for that sequence (not true of the D7100 or Nikon DSLRs at all when set properly. as their phase detect systems usually reacquire lost focus very rapidly). The Fujifilm often couldn’t reacquire initial focus quick enough when I lost it and restarted a focus sequence on a moving object."

And so on and so on.

I switched from a Nikon D700 complete with pro lenses to an Olympus OMD EM5. I don't regret the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just recently sold off all of my Nikon 610 and lenses and bought the Sony A7. I will be getting the 70-200 f/4 Sony FE lens, and my reasons are the same as the OP. I weighed the Fuji XT1 and decided even though it produced incredible colors, and sharpness, so does the Sony A7. After shooting with the D610, I decided I wanted full frame. I love the size of the Sony and I already take it everywhere I go. My once 30 lb. backpack has turned into a 5 lb. backpack. I bought the 43 flash for the Sony, and I'm pretty much ready to roll again. I don't regret the change over one bit. I think mirrorless is the wave of the future, and DSLR's will become obsolete. Most people, as Darrel stated, want even smaller, as in camera phones. The bottom line is image quality. I think I have that, plus a small and lightweight rig.

Last edited:
I have a Samsung NX300 that has a 20.3 pix sensor the same specs in size as in a Nikon Crop sensor DSLR and its fantastic. 8 FPS and a Shutter speed up 1/6000th is impressive.The downside with mine is no view finder and I cant see the LCD on sunny days. That said, no way I would ditch my DSLR Cameras.

Get one with a EVF then you can use it on sunny days,that's why I sold my NX and went with a Fuji XE2.....................

I have a Samsung NX300 that has a 20.3 pix sensor the same specs in size as in a Nikon Crop sensor DSLR and its fantastic. 8 FPS and a Shutter speed up 1/6000th is impressive.The downside with mine is no view finder and I cant see the LCD on sunny days. That said, no way I would ditch my DSLR Cameras.

Get one with a EVF then you can use it on sunny days,that's why I sold my NX and went with a Fuji XE2.....................

...Get one with an EVF, then...

at least some proper English.....sorry Bigal1000

Even though this is a necro thread, I'll offer up my experience as well:

I've also made the switch from DSLR to mirrorless, with no regrets. Traded in a D800 and all of my lenses (all f/2.8 glass) and jumped ship from Nikon to Fuji.

Even though this is a necro thread, I'll offer up my experience as well:

I've also made the switch from DSLR to mirrorless, with no regrets. Traded in a D800 and all of my lenses (all f/2.8 glass) and jumped ship from Nikon to Fuji.

Browncoat....it's all your fault! When I read your post on the -ites site, I started thinking about where the future lies. I figured I'd take my lumps now rather than a full decapatation later when my equipment wouldn't have been worth much. I still have 20 odd days for you to talk me into a Fuji. I was almost there but I found a sweet deal on a Sony A7 refurbbed deal with less than 65 clicks on it. I like it, just wish there were more native lenses for it. As for Fuji, I have nothing bad to say except they should shoot raw @ 100 ISO. Other than that, they take fabulous pictures. Thanks Browncoat for turning me on to the wave of the now/future!

The A7 is a fine camera. The guy @ MPEX tried pushing one on me, and I took it for a little test drive. It was still too DSLR-like for what I was trying to achieve. Maybe once the rebel in me has settled down a bit, I'll start taking a look at the interchangeable lens mirrorless models. My first DSLR was a Sony, before I switched to Nikon.

...Get one with an EVF, then...

at least some proper English.....sorry Bigal1000

Sorry for the mistake Mr. Frigging Perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take a hike.

Last edited:
Sorry for the mistake Mr. Frigging Perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take a hike.

He should! Exercise is important for a happy and healthy lifestyle.

There is 1 big problem with the XT1 if you shoot lots of low light it will only shoot upto iso6400 in raw anything after is JPG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back