Considering moving to the boonies

NeilS- you are a wise man !:thumbup: Well said.

OP: I find it interesting that you started this by talking about moving "out to the boonies", but now you are mostly talking about politics.

Was this your intention all along?

You will never really win an argument about politics, because its based almost totally on opinions.

The vast majority of people in the U.S. are totally clueless about politics, and this is the issue that really matters.

I work with a guy who is a U.S. citizen, and he didnt know who the Vice President was the other day when we were talking politics. I am dead serious about this.

If he doesnt even know that, what else do you think he probably doesnt know? Virtually everything about our government I am guessing.

This is one of the biggest problems in the U.S. today, and what needs to change before we can fix the problems that we currently face.

This is a far greater issue than what people think about Sarah Palin, or any of the other trivial little things that people are always concerned with.

Only an educated and informed public can ensure that their government is kept in line, and does not become corrupt.

Do not be naive and think that the people in government care about you, or that they can be trusted. Countless billions have been oppressed and enslaved throughout the ages for making that very mistake.

Politicians have an agenda just like everyone else, and they need to be watched by the people very carefully to ensure that they are doing the right things.

What I am talking about here isnt even really politics by the way. This stuff transcends party lines, and is bigger than the differences between liberals and conservatives. It is about individual rights and freedom from oppression for all of mankind.

- Neil

Although politics is NOT supposed to matter, if you voite in elections etc. and follow the news, it is rather difficult to relate to a group of locals that are far right wing in their often expressed views when you happen to be liberal in your views, although I must say that I do not think much of politicians of either the right or left wing. In Canada, one tends to vote for the lesser of two evils, or perhaps the best of two incompetents.

Actually, many Quebeckers vote for the Bloc because despite their separtist view, their politics are more consistently liberal than either the Liberals or Conservatives.

skieur

Although politics is NOT supposed to matter, if you voite in elections etc. and follow the news, it is rather difficult to relate to a group of locals that are far right wing in their often expressed views when you happen to be liberal in your views, although I must say that I do not think much of politicians of either the right or left wing. In Canada, one tends to vote for the lesser of two evils, or perhaps the best of two incompetents.

Actually, many Quebeckers vote for the Bloc because despite their separtist view, their politics are more consistently liberal than either the Liberals or Conservatives.

skieur

Ya I understand exactly what you are saying. :mrgreen:

I just wanted to try and drop some wisdom lol.

I grew up really deep in the country in northern California, and lived around a bunch of rednecks for like 15 years.

I didnt always agree with their ways about many things.

You know what the secret to getting along with them is?

Just be friendly and dont talk about politics.

If they decide to talk about politics with you then just agree and nod your head, and think whatever you want inside.

This actually goes for anyone talking to anyone else about politics in any situation where they want to get along and not have problems.

You cannot offend someone if you keep agreeing with them lol! :lol:

If they decide to talk about politics with you then just agree and nod your head, and think whatever you want inside.

This actually goes for anyone talking to anyone else about politics in any situation where they want to get along and not have problems.

B0ll0cks. Speak your mind, but within reason. No need to stir the pot, but likewise, no need to succumb to ascertions that at your core, you disagree with. It's called "having a set". Most people will give you the respect for speaking your mind rather than what your politics are. Agree to disagree, if you will.

I love how you think you'll have trouble talking to people because of politics. It's not like they speak a different language. There are countless other things to talk about.

B0ll0cks. Speak your mind, but within reason. No need to stir the pot, but likewise, no need to succumb to ascertions that at your core, you disagree with. It's called "having a set". Most people will give you the respect for speaking your mind rather than what your politics are. Agree to disagree, if you will.

I think that a mix of Kundalini and Neil probably would work best. Thanks of the comments, everyone! :thumbup:

skieur

I cant for the life of me think of why it would matter if your neighbors are conservitive or liberal. Who walks over to you neighbors to talk politics?:er:

Rual will equal a more conservitive background. People who enjoy total freedom with little goverment. But arent you looking for total freedom? Maybe not from the goverment, but to live you life the way you choose without the ratrace? So maybe they arent a bunch of backwoods gun wilding ****tards. *

As for living rual and off the radar its the most enjoyible thing you can do. Its good for the soul.

*Dont flame me, you dont know who I vote for, may be a surprise

I don't live in the boonies I live in the burbs. Right wing people in the this country have been stereotyped as religious nut-balls largely by the media over the past 30 years. It started back in the 80's here with Jerry Fallwell and the Moral Majority movement. But there are plenty of people with right wing ideals that have no religious agenda, may not support any religion at all.

Sounds like that might play a role up north as well.

I cant for the life of me think of why it would matter if your neighbors are conservitive or liberal. Who walks over to you neighbors to talk politics?:er:

Rual will equal a more conservitive background. People who enjoy total freedom with little goverment. But arent you looking for total freedom? Maybe not from the goverment, but to live you life the way you choose without the ratrace? So maybe they arent a bunch of backwoods gun wilding ****tards. *

As for living rual and off the radar its the most enjoyible thing you can do. Its good for the soul.

Well, we have a seasonal lot in a trailer park in cottage country and during election time, neighbours and the park owner have constantly introduced politics into the conversation. I don't know how many times I heard that the majority in rural areas is Conservative from locals.

As to the business of less government versus more government, it is a matter of mathematics. If more government means health and hospital plans, then that means less money off your pension when you get sick.
When the operation, a month long stay in the hospital, chemo drugs, $50 per day in medicien to reduce nausea caused by chemo and follow-up meidical appointments are covered by the government, it can mean the difference between a comfortable retirement and total poverty.

Anyway, not a big deal. I will probably spend more of my time trying to learn about wells, pumps, septic systems, putting out and bringing in a dock, marine railway, water softeners, and various other non-urban type things.

skieur

Well, the latest thing is staging a house, which is apparently more common in the US than in Canada. Apparently you store almost evrything and a company makes your house into a "model suite". The idea is that it sells faster for more money because it is designed for the potential buyer as opposed to being designed to be lived in.

skieur

OH yeah, staging is huge here. Was a lot bigger durring the boom but it's still important. I think you can do it yourself for free just using some tips like removing clutter. We rented a storage unit and got a uhaul and moved a lot of stuff that was stored all over the house into it.

I managed to move my boat to my daughters place, so that one garage had furniture and the other had boxes up almost to the ceiling. I don't know about the cost of staging in the US but in Canada it averages $5,000 plus. I tend to think that if you get the best, it is worthwhile, but if you get "amateurs" who have got into the business, then....you may be disappointed at the results.

Property Condition Statements which are also common in many areas of the US. are NOT recommended whatsoever in Canada. There is NO advantage whatsoever for a seller to fill out such a statement and it is more likely to lead to a legal confrontation than NOT filling one out.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back