Considering moving to the boonies

These are required by law in my state to be filled out honestly, and I live in one of the more conservative states.

These are required by law in my state to be filled out honestly, and I live in one of the more conservative states.

In Canada, the Property Condition Statement is not very meaningful but provokes legal costs and litigation despite its useless nature. Frankly most home owners do NOT know what kinds of pipes or electrical wiring have been used, whether the fireplace works if they have never used it, the condition of septic systems etc. That is what a home inspection is for and sometimes even the inspectors miss important problems.

To tell a home owner that he has to be accurate and honest about the condition of his house, despite his limited knowledge of plumbing, electricity, furnaces, air conditioning, sewage systems, pumps, water softeners, masonry, etc. is ridiculous, and then add to that the fact that the owner can also be sued for what he said, what he did not disclose, and what could be interpretted differently.

skieur

Oh I totally agree. ours doesn't go into that level of detail it's mroe like, has a pipe ever broke, have you ever had water in your basement, a fire. Things like that.

I actually live out in the sticks, as the locals call it. I live on the very outskirts of eastern Florida development, another mile west and it's 50 miles of swampland and cow pastures.

Growing up in the city, I wouldn't trade this for anything.

I actually live out in the sticks, as the locals call it. I live on the very outskirts of eastern Florida development, another mile west and it's 50 miles of swampland and cow pastures.

I've seen a Florida map before and I always thought it was funny, down there in south Florida, how there's like a straight line going North/South with development on one side then nothing on the other. I suppose it would be nice to live on the edge and have a nice view of the everglades.

Well, I have already had 12 showings on my house in 4 days, so hopefully that means that it is priced right and will sell in reasonable time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

skieur

Last edited:

I've seen a Florida map before and I always thought it was funny, down there in south Florida, how there's like a straight line going North/South with development on one side then nothing on the other. I suppose it would be nice to live on the edge and have a nice view of the everglades.

Yep, I-95 is the corridor, all the development strands between I-95 on the west and US1/A1A on the east. If you notice the railroad rarely ever strays into the marsh land, 100 years ago the railroad was the only link of the whole East coast of Florida.

A lot of that marsh land is state protected to curb urban sprawl from enterprising retired Northeasterners, which is why you see that. They make up about 70% of our population, natives like me are very rare, especially ones who go back 5 generations.

Now is the time when despite showings, real estate agents say that there have been comments that your house is priced too high,...to get you ready for accepting a lower price in an offer. The advantage of the net, is that you can check and find out that your house is definitely NOT priced too high at all, and is comparable to anything in the area.

skieur

I grew up in the boonies of Maine, USA, with an incredibly interesting mix of back to the earth liberal hippies (my parents) and rednecks, and everybody got along surprisingly well. My fiance and I are looking at houses now, and some of the property out in the boondocks does look appealing-we could get 15 acres, waterfront, and a nice house for less than a small house on 1/8 acre in civilization.

I grew up in the boonies of Maine, USA, with an incredibly interesting mix of back to the earth liberal hippies (my parents) and rednecks, and everybody got along surprisingly well. My fiance and I are looking at houses now, and some of the property out in the boondocks does look appealing-we could get 15 acres, waterfront, and a nice house for less than a small house on 1/8 acre in civilization.

Yes, you pointed out the very big advantage. :D

skieur

Speaking of funny paperwork-I had to disclose if there was any paranormal activity or meth labs in my building.

Wow, that is a stretch! They are now talking about "psychological impediments", including paranormal, murders etc.. Any home inspector who cannot spot a former meth lab should be sued for incompetence.

skieur

Last edited:
Anyone moved to the boonies in north country in the dead of winter? Last year towns and highways were closed, because there was no room for the snow in December. Someone said to me: "Well I guess, you are going to be getting a snowmobile, eh? :lol:

The real Bombardier snowmobiles that are built like an old tank with the treads are still around in some parts of Quebec.

skieur

Last edited:
I consider all of canada to be red necky and in the boonies.

Well except for Vancouver BC, that place looks nice

Housing prices are so dependent on location.

My brother lives upstate NY. He has 31 acres, 4 buildings, including a very nice house. During the height of the selling boom, he paid $175,000 for this property with a property tax of $1400 per year.

My sister's house is much older than his, much smaller and sits on a lot 80ft by 100ft. The house during the slow times now is worth about $525,000 - property tax of about $13,000 per year. Go figure.
My brother's picture postcard property or my sister's cramped neighborhood.

The difference is my sister is a 30 minute train ride to NYC, my brother lives in a town that does not even have a post office...

Most reactions

Back