Considering moving to the boonies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by skieur, Oct 6, 2010.

1. j-dogg

j-dogg TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yep, I-95 is the corridor, all the development strands between I-95 on the west and US1/A1A on the east. If you notice the railroad rarely ever strays into the marsh land, 100 years ago the railroad was the only link of the whole East coast of Florida.

A lot of that marsh land is state protected to curb urban sprawl from enterprising retired Northeasterners, which is why you see that. They make up about 70% of our population, natives like me are very rare, especially ones who go back 5 generations.

2. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Now is the time when despite showings, real estate agents say that there have been comments that your house is priced too high,...to get you ready for accepting a lower price in an offer. The advantage of the net, is that you can check and find out that your house is definitely NOT priced too high at all, and is comparable to anything in the area.

skieur

3. davisphotos

davisphotos No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I grew up in the boonies of Maine, USA, with an incredibly interesting mix of back to the earth liberal hippies (my parents) and rednecks, and everybody got along surprisingly well. My fiance and I are looking at houses now, and some of the property out in the boondocks does look appealing-we could get 15 acres, waterfront, and a nice house for less than a small house on 1/8 acre in civilization.

4. davisphotos

davisphotos No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Speaking of funny paperwork-I had to disclose if there was any paranormal activity or meth labs in my building.

5. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, you pointed out the very big advantage. :D

skieur

6. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, that is a stretch! They are now talking about "psychological impediments", including paranormal, murders etc.. Any home inspector who cannot spot a former meth lab should be sued for incompetence.

skieur

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  7. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Anyone moved to the boonies in north country in the dead of winter? Last year towns and highways were closed, because there was no room for the snow in December. Someone said to me: "Well I guess, you are going to be getting a snowmobile, eh? :lol:

The real Bombardier snowmobiles that are built like an old tank with the treads are still around in some parts of Quebec.

skieur

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  8. Hawaii Five-O

Hawaii Five-O My alter-egos have been banned. :( Now I must be

Photos OK to edit
    I consider all of canada to be red necky and in the boonies.

Well except for Vancouver BC, that place looks nice

9. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Housing prices are so dependent on location.

My brother lives upstate NY. He has 31 acres, 4 buildings, including a very nice house. During the height of the selling boom, he paid $175,000 for this property with a property tax of $1400 per year.

My sister's house is much older than his, much smaller and sits on a lot 80ft by 100ft. The house during the slow times now is worth about $525,000 - property tax of about $13,000 per year. Go figure.
    My brother's picture postcard property or my sister's cramped neighborhood.

The difference is my sister is a 30 minute train ride to NYC, my brother lives in a town that does not even have a post office...

10. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Actually, according to the journalists on both sides of the border, Canada's red necks are the equivalent of US Republicans. One of our Liberal Prime Ministers was called a Pinko by a US President. Our Conservative party equals the US Democratic Party. :lmao:

skieur

11. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is becoming an interesting saga of real estate agents and I am learning fast to throw away any preconceived notions or biases.

I needed 2 sets of agents: one for my urban area and one for the boonies.
    I expected a lot from the "award winning", experienced, qualified brokers with a university degree, from the urban area and I did not know what to make of what seemed to be a "hick" type with limited education as the real estate agent in the boonies.

What is interesting is that the hick from boonies turned out to be the better real estate agent in skills, strategy, intelligence, and dealing with people than the 2 experienced super-qualified, award winning urban pros. In a style that I truly admire, the buying boonies agent said to the 2 pro sellers over the phone. What do I have to do, come down there to the city and sell that home for you, so that he can buy the home here?

Boy, I think I am going to like the style here in the boonies.

skieur

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  12. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

It seems now that I may have to rent an infrared thermal imaging camera ($4,000 plus to buy), in order to prove that I do NOT have leaks in the basement of the house that I am trying to sell.

Wow, buying and selling homes has become extremely more complicated then it ever was in the past!:confused:

skieur