Considering The NYI Portrait Photography Course

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't have any intentions of going pro but I'd really like to up my skill. Has anyone taken this course Portrait Photography Course | Learn Portrait Photography | NYIP ? What's your opinion of the course??? Yay/nay???? I really don't have the time or energy to sit through a bunch of redundant material that I've known for years.

Any suggestions on other advanced level courses?????

@AlanKlein I have a library of videos (Purchased and free) but piecemeal learning has some disadvantages. The NYI courses aren't cheap, and I'm not sold that they're what I need either.

What is it that you’re trying to improve? Lighting? Posing? Editing? Creativity? Have no experience with NYI so can’t offer an opinion there. I like the Creative Live tutorials since the more advanced ones tend to specialize on one or two skills.

What is it that you’re trying to improve? Lighting? Posing? Editing? Creativity? Have no experience with NYI so can’t offer an opinion there. I like the Creative Live tutorials since the more advanced ones tend to specialize on one or two skills.

All of the above! I've reached the point where I feel like I'm on the edge of moving to the next level in creativity but need a nudge. To get to that point I believe will require a re-evaluation of everything from ground up. There's several who's work I follow, one is Joey L. - NYC-based Photographer and Director
 I have one of his books in route. Once I look at it, I might buy some of his videos. I've also looked at Creative Live.

I like her tutorials too. 2 years ago I got the creator pass for creative live and went through dozens of courses throughout the year - hers were a favorite. The pass was well worth the money. I saw some emails about it being on sale this year too. Just be aware some courses are excluded so if you do it figure out the courses you want and make sure the math works out.

if you do it figure out the courses you want and make sure the math works out

This was why I initially leaned toward the NYI course as my thought was, it would be an all inclusive course, but reading into it further I'm afraid it includes more fluff than content which would actually benefit me. Given the cost of the course I might be better served searching out more targeted tutorials. Looking for more like Nick Fancher's "Studio Anywhere". He takes you from the setup, through the shot, and finally through the complete post processing on real life examples.

I don't have any intentions of going pro but I'd really like to up my skill. Has anyone taken this course Portrait Photography Course | Learn Portrait Photography | NYIP ? What's your opinion of the course??? Yay/nay???? I really don't have the time or energy to sit through a bunch of redundant material that I've known for years.

Any suggestions on other advanced level courses?????
Smoke, I don't know anything about the online courses except they're still online no matter how you take them.
If you're serious about moving your skills up a few notches my suggestion is that you go to school. I mean real school, as in a real wattle and daub college or university. I'm a formally trained photographer and believe me you can not duplicate what you learn in a classroom vs on line.
You just can't replace a professional photographer with an MFA looking over your shoulder or the critiques of 20 creative students. Some Junior Colleges have pro photo programs and are cheaper than 4 year schools or art schools. If you're serious and in or near a big city you should consider it!
No matter what level you're at, school will move you up a couple levels more, not to mention possibly give you the connections to be able to work professionally or exhibit if that's your goal. Good luck!
SS

You just can't replace a professional photographer with an MFA looking over your shoulder

Yeah I hear you. For a couple years I was in a Carving Group hosted by a Master Carver. When anyone got in trouble on a piece he would lay his hand on yours and guide it through the cuts. That way you saw and felt the tool connect with the wood. I really learned a lot from him.

One of the unfortunate downsides of living in the woods, is there isn't anything close. Our local junior college offers some basic photography courses, there are some more advanced level courses offered in Birmingham, but that's an hour one way on a good day.

Can you get a course program so that you can see what is going to be covered
That way you should get an insight on the course and be able to decide if it’s what you want, too basic or to advanced

If you have their curriculum, instead consider Kelby training. What ever you need is there for $2oo a year or 20 a month. I was in charge of a PPA mentoring program and someone came to me who was a grad of NY and she didn't know crap. Join a meet up that does shoots with lights and you will be able to bounce q

questions off others and perhaps even some folks who are knowledgeable.

Most reactions

Back