Contemplative photography in Bhutan - do I take full DSLR kit or chill?

What should I take on a contemplative photography tour to Bhutan?

• Total voters

Simonwils

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am going on a Contemplative Photography tour to Bhutan at the end of the year and I was ready to buy a completely new Canon EOS 7D with a nice wide angle for shots of the large temples and mountain landscapes, a really fast mid range lens, a 100 mm F2 for candid portraits, and a telephoto lens out to about 200mm - range of filters for slow shots of the rivers and then I thought - what am I doing? This is supposed to be contemplative photography, I am going to Bhutan to be "in the moment" and see everything as it is, not jockey between lenses like a game hunter going for the kill.

So here is the question, do I buy a full kit like above (currently nursing a very old canon dslr) or do I chill and take a chance on a high quality fixed lens camera so I am not jumping from lens to lens, and I can carry it on a pouch on my belt all the time - contenders for this are the new Canon G1X - with a dslr size sensor, the older Canon g12 (which I can almost carry in my jacket pocket),or the Sony NEX range (yes can change lenses but less likely too), or my current favourite - the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 with a huge 28 - 600 equivalent zoom range without changing a lens??

Appreciate any and all suggestions. Simon

Very difficult question and one that I ponder often, I am the sort of person that likes to take lenses for all circumstances and then I spend tons of time deciding which lens will be best to use in each circumstance. I actually get frustrated with myself by the end of it! :lol:

I now understand why you hear about quite a few pros nowadays getting a camera and a 35mm lens or 50mm lens and nothing else, as it frees the mind and makes life simple. Instead of worrying about which lens to put on the camera, you then spend time actually worrying about taking photographs and little else. Ofcourse these photographers will find limitiations with using a fixed lens, but they like to view it as a challenge. I sometimes wonder if my 6 lenses are a benefit or a hinderance and whether or sometimes these decision making processes are beneficial as they seem to cause me more stress than joy. Hey, I'm still learning though I guess as we all are!

Interesting article by a guy who seems to only need a 35mm lens for his work.Why shooting with just a 35mm lens WILL ... - Steve Huff Photos

It really depends on where your personal focus will be (Pun fully intended). I too am a 'full kit' sort of person. My travelling kit (and I do a LOT of travelling) is one body, three fast zooms from 16-200, 1.7TX, CF tripod, basic set of ND, G-ND and CPOL for filters, remote release, and one speedlight. For me, contemplative photography means getting the shot that I want, and presented with opportunities like you will have on this trip, I would spend the entire time kicking my own butt if I didn't have the gear I needed to get the shot I wanted.

That said, there's NOTHING wrong with something like a GX1, NEX or whatever. As long as it will satisfy your requirements, it's enough.

i asked a similar question a while back, and i dont remember who said this but it really stuck with me:

"i don't understand people who buy pro gear and than want to leave it behind when the opportunities may strike" so my advice, take a dslr. Just because its contemplative photography doesn't mean you cannot have the best means to capture it. I would maybe invest in a pro 2.8 zoom if you don't want to change lenses often, maybe rent a 24-70 2.8 or 17-55 2.8 for the trip.

If you have the money avaliable I would go with the best gear you can get. Having the opportunity of a travel shoot like this would find you frustrated using a point and shoot simply because it saves you a few seconds to change lenses, I believe that you would end up missing more images not having a wide selection of lenses. It's the boy scout thing about "always being prepared"

If you're going to do it right, do it right at the start.

Since you are even asking this question you probably don't need to take a full kit.
I know for me if I take a full kit.....I am obsessed with the photography and become consumed by it and that is all the trip would be about.
If you take something less that you can still get good photos with....you will probably take the time to "participate" in the trip a lot more.

As a professional photographer I travel with all my gear on every trip. On the odd trip that I have not taken everything I have always regretted it, as something always came up where I knew the images would have been better with the piece of gear I didn't think I would need.

Very difficult question and one that I ponder often, I am the sort of person that likes to take lenses for all circumstances and then I spend tons of time deciding which lens will be best to use in each circumstance. I actually get frustrated with myself by the end of it! :lol:

I now understand why you hear about quite a few pros nowadays getting a camera and a 35mm lens or 50mm lens and nothing else, as it frees the mind and makes life simple. Instead of worrying about which lens to put on the camera, you then spend time actually worrying about taking photographs and little else. Ofcourse these photographers will find limitiations with using a fixed lens, but they like to view it as a challenge. I sometimes wonder if my 6 lenses are a benefit or a hinderance and whether or sometimes these decision making processes are beneficial as they seem to cause me more stress than joy. Hey, I'm still learning though I guess as we all are!

Interesting article by a guy who seems to only need a 35mm lens for his work.Why shooting with just a 35mm lens WILL ... - Steve Huff Photos
I really enjoyed reading this article - certainly a great training method. Pushes me more to the leave the full kit behind, however, a compact with a big zoom range may defeat the purpose Steve Huff is aiming at.

Appreciate the input, it seems like a choice between regret on one side and "being there" on the other,although I am sure there are many folks with dslr kits that would be fully in the moment. I am leaning towards the canon g1x now, reasonable camera, flexible zoom range and a fixed lens ,so no temptation to change lenses and I can probably carry it in my jacket pocket. Also, this will be a lot lighter to carry on the 5 day trek going over some of the high 12,000 foot passes in the Bhutanese Himalayas after the contemplative photography tour. Thanks for the feedback!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back