Contemporary Senior Girl

Well I think "Living in the Past" in more intune with the thread........but Cross Eyed Mary WROCKS!
Oh, and I have been called on the "bell bottom" pants thing. I have been informed that they are flairs or loons. Please consider me appropriately groovy now.

elsaspet said:
Well I think "Living in the Past" in more intune with the thread........but Cross Eyed Mary WROCKS!
Oh, and I have been called on the "bell bottom" pants thing. I have been informed that they are flairs or loons. Please consider me appropriately groovy now.
Loons....? :scratch: I've not heard of that one. A flair isn't a true bell-bottom, anyway - it just a pants bottom that's not a stovepipe. Also known as "boot-cuts".

I stand by bell-bottom. Heck, we used to cut up the side-seams and sew in addtional cool fabric to make them wider - purple paisley was one of my faves. :sillysmi:

elsaspet said:
MD? I really need those birkenstocks. They work so well at the commune. Please?

sure come and try and pair of em on, and see whatcha like, and you are walking outta here with them! :)

terri said:
Loons....? :scratch: I've not heard of that one. A flair isn't a true bell-bottom, anyway - it just a pants bottom that's not a stovepipe. Also known as "boot-cuts".

:sillysmi:

Try to tell that to the Brits.........

Wow... miss a day, miss a LOT.

I'll put in my thoughts. First, I'm never happy about entering into a serious discussion with someone who is anonymous. I don't know who you are, Tally Ho. I dont know where you work. I know nothing about your background and accomplishments. I don't even know your name. This makes it impossible for me to take much of what you have to say seriously. I prefer you stand in the light.

The way you have presented yourself and your work for viewing/critique does invite a challenge. There are others here familiar with the "rules" to which you subscribe. I learned these same rules more than twenty years ago, attending seminars and such with folks like Blair, Kennemer, Zeltzman, Collins, Zucher, and so on. I try to apply these rules to my work. As a result, I feel my work has become a bit antiquated. Saleable, sure... but stagnant. We all have to move beyond these "building blocks" of portraitue if we want our work to evolve. I'm learning some new approaches here. Come down from the soapbox for a while. You think you'll be surprised.

Now, in your defense, I think we've all heard the phrase, "Remember to be good before we remember to be different." These compositional rules are important... just as technical rules of exposure are important.

Another familiar quote is, "It's not creative unless it sells." No one knows this more than the photographer who is trying to eek out a living in a studio. No matter how happy we are with our recent accomplishments, if it's not selling, you're not eating.

Your work is consistant, and in a real world application, certainly up to par. Lighten up! If you're here to show us how good you are, you're in the wrong place. Try the PPofA. If you want to share what you've learned and get some impute from others, change your posture... because you don't come off thay way.

-Pete Christie

tsienni said:
Hello,

My first time in this Portrait & Wedding Photography forum.

Just curious, Tally, can you show me one master portrait [photographer] that in your opinion best illustrates the lightning method as you suggested? Thanks.

Nope, can't think of just one, but I can think of four that I have studied under. Frank Cricchio, Monte Zucker, Don Peterson and Don Blair, all masters and all craftsman. BUT keep in mind two of these guys are dead and the other two are over 65.

I find it interesting that I'm still getting comments on the image especially since it was 'lost' three days ago when they went to a 'new server.'

Tally Ho

Tally Ho said:
I find it interesting that I'm still getting comments on the image especially since it was 'lost' three days ago when they went to a 'new server.'

Now, ya see? What's this meant to be? Is it some sort of accusation? Do you mean you feel some sort of justification? I'm wondering why you made this statement. I think this is the sort of thing that's drawing so much fire.

BTW.... what IS your name?

-Pete

tsienni said:
Just curious, Tally, can you show me one master portrait [photographer] that in your opinion best illustrates the lightning method as you suggested? Thanks.

Tally Ho said:
Nope, can't think of just one, but I can think of four that I have studied under. Frank Cricchio, Monte Zucker, Don Peterson and Don Blair, all masters and all craftsman. BUT keep in mind two of these guys are dead and the other two are over 65.
Tally Ho, we are not against your knowledge. It is actually great to know that you were groomed by these maestros. Its all excellent :).
But, the way you lay it out is a huge turn off for most of us. You speak as if everyone else other than you are cavemen or anyone who does not follow the Monte Zuckarian principles are lowly. No you did not say that, but that is how I read it when I come accross your posts. A pompous attitude is usually never welcomed. By the way, M Zucker I hear is known for his humility.

So, do you have a link to your website/work?

Christie Photo said:
hehehehe. Humble? Monty? :er: Maybe he's been through a life-altering experience.
Well, this photographer from another forum had a lot of words to write about how caring, kind, considerate, humble etc etc MZ is to his disciples. Don't know nothing more about the maestro! :)

Tally Ho said:

Thanks for your reply. I´m honored to get your response. Hehe, I hope I don´t sound cynical, for I am not.

I am not qualified to make judgments on how great those four photographers are. Actually, if possible, can we focus on ideas? Could you please show me but one example of their works that embodies those essential elements about which you feel strongly in portrait photography?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back