Contents of a starter SLR kit

GeeTee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm just starting out in SLR photography, having only really been serious about taking photos since the dawn of the digital age.

I have bought a lovely old Pentax ME Super on eBay, which came with a 50mm f1.7 lens, and I have since aquired a 28mm wide lens, a 70-210mm zoom and a x2 tele converter. I've also picked up some filters (polariser, red, orange and a starburst special effects one).

I know I need a good bag and a flash next but, is there anything else that I should really have before I go out and shoot some landscapes or attempt some portraits? <he says, waiting for some bright spark to suggest getting some 35mm film!!!!>

And can anyone recommend a good budget price flash (probably a bounce one)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lens hoods for your lenses.

Vivitar makes decent flashes, and they are usually inexpensive compared to bigger brand names.

For landscapes a tripod and cable release is always nice, comes in handy for other subjects too.

Thanks guys.

Over in the UK at the moment one of our big horse racing festivals is taking place and, in the last hour, I've had a nice little win. I think I'll spend it on a tripod!

Nice...congrats.

When buying a tripod, there are a few directions to go.

Cheap & flimsy but light....sturdy but heavy...strudy & light but really expensive.

Check out Bogen/Manfrotto

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks pretty good.

I can't tell if that head has a quick release plate. For a 35mm camera I would not want a tripod head that did not have QR.

Of course you could buy that set, sell the head, and buy another.

GeeTee said:
I know I need a good bag and a flash next but, is there anything else that I should really have before I go out and shoot some landscapes or attempt some portraits?

If I can give some advice :blushing: I would say that you don't need more, but less! Personally, I would try to start using the camera: just the body and that 50mm you mention. Shot at least a couple of sesions with only that, and then try to continue adding more "gadgets" to the equipment, one by one.

At least me would feel overflowed with so many things at the beginning (if this is the beginning, as I assume...), and couldn't manage to learn to use (control) them all at a time :confused:

IMHO the best thing is to get to know every part of the equipment separately, so you can focus on it.

As for the tripod, I'm with Big Mike. Find one with a quick release plate

Good luck with your Pentax!

Thanks Panocho.

I think that is good advice. I am a typical guy - when I get into something I want all the gadgets right away.

I'll slow down and get the basics right first.

And thanks Mike for the QR advice.

For the meantime I think the cash I won on the horses will go on a meal at a nice restaurant instead.

Well, I didn't mean you have to keep from buying the material; I think that's perfectly all right if you find a goo deal not to let it go. But then I would probably keep it in the closet a few weeks until I was "ready" to start using it.
I myself have got some equipment when the deal was there -and what deals, man!... but that's another story

enjoy the meal!

Great ebay find! I've been collecting Pentax cameras for a while now. Both the ME SE and my ME super have served me very well.

I too would recommend getting a nice tripod and cable release. In my opinion, they are a must for many landscape photography. Light and sturdy tripods are very expensive and in most cases more than the typical person would need. Go for quality, compact, and light. I've seen cases when big heavy tripods have turned people off to using them...

This is what I use on trips when I need compact/light but is somewhat difficult to find.

IMG_4790_post.jpg

IMG_4802_post.jpg

This was my second choice:

http://www.velbon-tripod.com/ultra_maxi.htm

As for the flash. Definitely go for the Vivitar 283. Its a classic, still popular, very powerful, very versatile, and relatively available used or new.

CRW_4933_RJ_post.jpg

No need to build up a large collection of equipment. I could count on one hand the number of items I've purchased new. Just keep an eye out for good used stuff and perhaps search through camera swap meets in your area. Learn what you got. good luck and welcome to the joys of photography.

I would suggest really studying the works of sucessful landscape and portrait photographers, online and in print. A scanner and Photoshop CS would get you started with the digital darkroom as well.

Most reactions

Back