Contrasty Trees in the Sunset C&C

Beast95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
6691848423_c35ee30e0f_b.jpg

ISO800, f/4.5, 1/500th, 133mm

I was in my backyard and I noticed that there was a really cool sunset, so I grabbed my camera and went running. I was actually trying to take pictures emphasizing the clouds, but then I noticed that the sun was right in that exact spot and I figured I could get a really contrasty picture out of it. It worked!

This is my first picture on here so I would definitely like to know what you think!!! If you like/dislike something, feel free to tell me!!! I wont take it personally or get offended! There's only one way to improve :)

Thanks!

EDIT: Heres 2 more that I took that day

6696753655_4e6081b3f5_b.jpg

This one was supposed to be kind of towards the scary side.. I was going for this kind of shot that night because I wasnt in the nicest mood, ill leave it at that.
This is the photo that represents the emotion that I wanted people to see in my photos.

6696751993_ed79466103_b.jpg

I kinda like how the sun looks, but I was trying to emphasize the clouds in this one. I thought they looked really breathtaking and dark, almost frightening.
This photo was taken out of pure appreciation for nature and her beauty.

Last edited:
At this point I've built up in my mind such a spectacular contrasty-trees in the sunset picture that I hope the OP doesn't get his links corrected. There is no way it will meet my now overblown expectations.

Sorry about that, i guess Windows SkyDrive doesnt let me share pictures... it looked fine to me. Does it work now?

Its there. Why did you shoot ISO 800 are 1/500 , when ISO 200 at 1/125 would have given you the same exposure? What do you like about this shot? What is the subject?

The sky is a solid light orange. The trees are in shade. One doesn't really see a sunset. At least not what you saw. Is this the image you wanted to capture?

The colors are nice and warm. But it doesn't really say anything to me. It's tough to take a photo like that with the sun coming through things and have it look like anything but blown out light behind whatever it is you're shooting through. What might have worked nicely is if you'd gone to something like 100 ISO, stopped all the way down to f/22 or even 32 and if you could have caught the sun right you would have ended up with a nice sun star, which may have worked as a subject/focal point and you probably wouldn't have lost so much detail in the trees to the blown out sunlight. But I'm only theorizing on how that might have looked.

The colors are nice and warm. But it doesn't really say anything to me. It's tough to take a photo like that with the sun coming through things and have it look like anything but blown out light behind whatever it is you're shooting through. What might have worked nicely is if you'd gone to something like 100 ISO, stopped all the way down to f/22 or even 32 and if you could have caught the sun right you would have ended up with a nice sun star, which may have worked as a subject/focal point and you probably wouldn't have lost so much detail in the trees to the blown out sunlight. But I'm only theorizing on how that might have looked.

Yea.. if the OP had a TRIPOD.. because that would have kicked the shutter speed WAY into non-handheld range... and most likely would have made the shot even contrastier.. and lost ALL detail in the trees. Sun Star?.. whatever.......

Yea.. if the OP had a TRIPOD.. because that would have kicked the shutter speed WAY into non-handheld range... and most likely would have made the shot even contrastier.. and lost ALL detail in the trees. Sun Star?.. whatever.......

So you are unfamiliar with the concept of experimentation then, eh?

cgipson1 said:
Its there. Why did you shoot ISO 800 are 1/500 , when ISO 200 at 1/125 would have given you the same exposure? What do you like about this shot? What is the subject?

I'm trying to remember my reasoning. I think I kinda liked the noise for this one in particular. This was one of those shots that didn't turn out as I expected, but I still liked how it was so washed out where the sun should be, I kept it. Idk about everyone else but I personally like shots that are subtly different, and I've never seen this kind of shot before

Most reactions

Back