Conversation in the sky

in2thewild

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I would like to know what you think about this photo in terms of composition. I put the lamp on one of the intersecting lines but my tree is a little too far to the right. Does it damage the effect of the photo?

I'm just a novice trying out different ideas at the moment.

Thanks for your feedback.
IMG_6741.jpg

In terms of composition I think it lacks a continuity or any relationship between the elements. Picking a few random elements and placing one on a third line does not make a good composition or a good photo.

In terms of composition I think it lacks a continuity or any relationship between the elements. Picking a few random elements and placing one on a third line does not make a good composition or a good photo.

OK, thanks for your honesty. I'll scrap that one then and try again!

Hello, I would like to know what you think about this photo in terms of composition.
When I see the elements in this composition, I see a rather offbeat possibility in just three things, not five. How about just the light and the textured sky? So you've got blue sky textured with white clouds in a pattern, and a light. That's the composition that is more interesting to me.

Where you place the light against the sky is going to be more subjective than just robotically putting it on the third lines, although the third lines are a good place to start.

Hello, I would like to know what you think about this photo in terms of composition.
When I see the elements in this composition, I see a rather offbeat possibility in just three things, not five. How about just the light and the textured sky? So you've got blue sky textured with white clouds in a pattern, and a light. That's the composition that is more interesting to me.

Where you place the light against the sky is going to be more subjective than just robotically putting it on the third lines, although the third lines are a good place to start.

Is this better?
IMG_6741.jpg

Well, a bit better, but it's easier to imagine what I would do after seeing what you started with, so it's really unfair to you, as the one who made the original composition. Like "Monday morning quarterbacking". Woulda coulda, shoulda after somebody else did what they did. I don't mean to discourage you, so keep on keeping-on.

Well, a bit better, but it's easier to imagine what I would do after seeing what you started with, so it's really unfair to you, as the one who made the original composition. Like "Monday morning quarterbacking". Woulda coulda, shoulda after somebody else did what they did. I don't mean to discourage you, so keep on keeping-on.

No worries; I appreciate your opinion and honesty. I think I need to look at other people's work more and learn from their composition. At the moment I'm never sure what would make a good photo in the end. Try, try again!

No worries; I appreciate your opinion and honesty. I think I need to look at other people's work more and learn from their composition. At the moment I'm never sure what would make a good photo in the end. Try, try again!
Yes, do that. Try to find a source of REALLY GOOD photographs and when you go through them, try to analyze what, exactly, makes them good as opposed to not so good. There are books on art composition, which you can borrow from your library. For the purposes of learning art composition it doesn't matter if it is painting or photography, the same principles apply. This quest is going to take some time and a little effort, so expect to spend some time at it.

One other thing; I've never been lucky enough to set out to make art and actually end up making it, but once in a while I end up fairly satisfied with a composition, which I usually don't even realize until I am editing on my computer. And I see some really good photos posted by others on here.

Yes, do that. Try to find a source of REALLY GOOD photographs and when you go through them, try to analyze what, exactly, makes them good as opposed to not so good. There are books on art composition, which you can borrow from your library. For the purposes of learning art composition it doesn't matter if it is painting or photography, the same principles apply. This quest is going to take some time and a little effort, so expect to spend some time at it.

One other thing; I've never been lucky enough to set out to make art and actually end up making it, but once in a while I end up fairly satisfied with a composition, which I usually don't even realize until I am editing on my computer. And I see some really good photos posted by others on here.

Yes, I see what you mean. I also find that people pointing out what is not good in my photos helps because it's easy to look at a completed work of art; so much more difficult to create it yourself.

I'll look up the books and go photo hunting!

It's a major way I improved my shots mate, with a lot of thanks to the good people on this forum. Critique can be hard sometimes, but you've got a good atitude so that will help you.

It can be a good excersise to look for patterns. Repitition of shapes or colours, opposing dark and light, juxtaposition (like something old with something new), refections are all common themes that can work really well.

My old art teacher used to teach us to look at an image and note how our eyes moved within the frame, good compositions would keep your attention in the frame and moving through as different parts of the image grabbed your attention and brought you back to the begining again. Balanced images would find you looking at the whole piece and while it tended to be paintings or posters we were looking at it stands true for any art form.

It's a major way I improved my shots mate, with a lot of thanks to the good people on this forum. Critique can be hard sometimes, but you've got a good atitude so that will help you.

It can be a good excersise to look for patterns. Repitition of shapes or colours, opposing dark and light, juxtaposition (like something old with something new), refections are all common themes that can work really well.

My old art teacher used to teach us to look at an image and note how our eyes moved within the frame, good compositions would keep your attention in the frame and moving through as different parts of the image grabbed your attention and brought you back to the begining again. Balanced images would find you looking at the whole piece and while it tended to be paintings or posters we were looking at it stands true for any art form.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I have to admit this image wasn't my best, but sometimes I like to run ones I'm not sure about past others to see if there's something I could do to make it into a good shot.

I'll keep going!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back