convince me not to do it

panocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to challenge you to convince me not to go ahead with the decision I provisionally made. This is in order for me to confirm the decision and make it definitive -or perhaps think it over.

The story, as short as I can, is:

I shoot film, and love it, but for a number of reasons I decided to go digital (as well!). My first decision was: wait until you can afford a D200 (I shoot Nikon). But times goes by and I realized that I will have to wait a lot more before I save one thousand euro for the camera. So I said to myself: why don't I buy a second hand D100, which I already can afford?

I know the D100 is not popular at all. I have read a lot of bad comments on it, and very few positive, but still it seems to give me what I need.

The main problem for me with this body would be not having metering with MF lenses. Otherwise, of course I would prefer the upgrades of the D200, but wouldn't suffer much without them.

So what would you say? Let me summarize my options:

1. I buy the D100 (by the way, there is an "extra risk", which is that I would be buying it on-line at the U.S., and I don't live there, so if something were wrong.... but, on the other hand, the seller is much reliable)

2. I go for a D70, which second hand costs just a little bit more and seems to be preferred by the majority of Nikon users. I still tend to prefer the D100, though

3. I forget about the whole thing: the D100 has a few limitations to me (I mentioned the most important one already) and buying digital second hand is not a good idea.

Would you, then, try to convince me to other than option 1? Please, keep in mind the great disadvantage of n. 3, namely, that I wouldn't have a dSLR for a looong time.

I appreciate your time reading this and advising...

Given your choices, I would buy a D70. Seriously.

Why not look into a new or a second hand D80. The only difference between the D200 and the D80 is the body material, the metering system (the D80's system is still very good), and the fps. Other than that they are pretty much the same camera for a much cheaper price tag.

A used D80 is still beyond my budget, being as it is the latest model on its category.

I am divided between the D70 and the D100 because both of them basically give me what I need, with the exception of metering with older lenses -which the D80 doesn't give either, so wouldn't help anyway. Once I am willing to leave that, I don't really need the upgrades of the D80 (not to mention that I have already read several comments on issues with the D80).

The D70 is two years newer, so has obviously several upgrades which make it a better option than the D100. But them the D100 also has a couple of things (as a better flash control system, or a nicer body, to my view), and the upgrades of the D70 do not seem as significant as to make the choice easy...

It's my understanding that the D80 has the exact same backwards compatibility that the D200 has as far as lenses are concerned. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will point it out but as far as the Nikon site goes it list the backwards compatibility is the same. Also just out of curioustiy what bad things have you heard about the D80? I haven't read one single bad review about the D80 in any of the photog rags. Now on the other hand I have read quite a few bad reports on the D70. As a matter of fact I remember one article saying it was among the worst DLSR's out there. I have no knowledge of the D100 so I can't help you there.

Now on the other hand I have read quite a few bad reports on the D70. As a matter of fact I remember one article saying it was among the worst DLSR's out there

:shock: It's clear that one can find anything as far as reviews are concerned. And that is precisely the disadvantage (among the many advantages) with the net, that you find anything. I don't mean to deny that opinion, since I am obviously not qualified to do it, but I do have read A LOT of excellent reviews on the D70 (I tend to stick to the reviews and comments contemporary with the launchment of the camera, although then I interpret them from the current perspective)

the things I've read on the D80 (not too many, though) have to do not with the quality of the camera but with problems that some bodies developed. And people seemed to talk as if it were not rare with this model. But again, you can't trust anything, can you?

I'd have to check it, but I believe the D80 won't meter with non-CPU lenses, whereas the D200 will.

By the way, a remark: I mentioned that the flash system of the D100 is better than the one of the D70, and that's not true. It's rather the contrary. I was thinking -again!- in older lenses, and with these I believe that the D100 works better

The D70 is twice the camera the D100 is. Don't let the higher number fool you. The amazingly superior flash exposure ALONE is why you use the D70 over the D100. The D1's have HORRIBLE flash control, it's inconsistent and gives off bad results 60% of the time. The i-TTL metering uses the camera's 420 or 1005 point matrix meter to determine flash exposure. The D1's just guess at it after the mirror has flipped up.

Since you already have a camera now (though it's film) your not really hurting to rush and get another camera, right? Just hold out and get the camera that you want, said D200. You will be happier in the end since you get the camera that you wanted to begin with, not a second option.

I would like to challenge you to convince me not to go ahead with the decision I provisionally made. This is in order for me to confirm the decision and make it definitive -or perhaps think it over.....

Good things come to those who wait. All the cameras you've mentioned are losing value daily. As newer models are released the others will will be less desirable to those who have to have the "latest and the greatest". If you have good nikon lenses with your film camera then wait for the used market price on the D200 to drop. Till then keep shooting with the film that you love. You can buy a lot of film for the price of a new DSLR.

Panocho, It would help to know why you want to switch. From what I gather the D100 has a tougher body but how are we to know if build is a consideration?

For all I know, your best option could be a really good film scanner and some chemistry. (you can mix up your own formula you know)

mike

For those of you who suggest waiting, you really have a point there, that's true. But as I mentioned, I know I would have to wait a long time (when will D200's be under 500 euro?), and I have already waited long enough since I decided to go digital.

And why am I going digital? well, first of all let me insist that I am not planning to leave film, but combine both. Now, the problem is that right now film developing has become really expensive for me, and I keep feeling limited in shooting just because of that. I know that with the money I plan expending in the digital (something between 300 and 400 euro) I could develop a lot of film, but it's not that easy. I am trying to carry out a couple of projects that involve shooting a lot -and then throwing away most of the results, as usual ;)
With a digital body I could shoot what I need without hesitation. With film, I do hesitate a lot, and that's not what I need.

As for the necessity of having a more resistant body, it is not as much a necessity as such as it is my personal tendency to get tough bodies. But to be honest most of the shooting I would be doing with the digital doesn't require a metal body at all. And I could always get accustomed to treating cameras more gently!

So thanks for trying convincing me (that's what I need!) but I think that waiting is almost definitively rejected as an option. So the two remaining are the D100 and the D70. I expected masive advice on the D70, as I see you give me. And maybe you are beginning to convince me with this... I don't know...

go to dpreview and look at comparisons of why the D70 is better than the D100 in every way shape and form. Hell, Rockwell probably has something to say about it (BUT BE CAREFUL).

The main problem for me with this body would be not having metering with MF lenses.

So take a test shot, and check the histogram. Once you know the right exposure it doesn't change until the light does. Before long you won't need to use a light meter at all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back