Copyright and logo issue

bogdan.m

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so here is my problem, i don't want people running around stealing my photos, i am just a beginner but i want some info on that so, how do i get copyright for my photos and can i apply a logo of my own on them ?

Like others have said on here the only true way to protect your images is to not post them on the Internet. That being saidThe one real way to protect your images is to register them with the United States copyright office

someone just posted the instructions on how to register them too just recently.
you'll have to search for that .. unless I can find it.

You have an interesting situation. You live in Romania, so Romanian copyright laws are applicable most likely. You're also in "international waters" with the internet, so you really need someone who's versed in international copyright laws.

In the U.S., your images are automatically copyrighted the instant you press the shutter release, and they can be registered as MSnowy notes.

I know nothing of Romanian copyright law, but I'm sure a few minutes of on-line research will give you the basics. I would expect that its most basic level, like most of North America and Europe, copyright is automatic with the creation of the work. Protecting it is another matter entirely. First, you have to accept that if you put your work on line, it's going to get stolen. Not if, but when, and in all likelihood, sooner rather than later. Some of the best methods, IMO, are to post relatively small (No larger than 800px on the long edge) images and 72PPI. This renders them useless for anything but on line use. If you want to apply a logo or watermark, that may help, but the problem is that in order to get any real benefit from it, you have to pretty much ruin the image with it, otherwise it's too easy to clone/crop out. My personal method seems to have worked well: Spend your life taking mediocre images that no one can be bothered to steal.

So post them small, and maybe just a small watermark, not too invasive ? i don't want people using my photos like their own, that's all.
...Spend your life taking mediocre images that no one can be bothered to steal.
made me giggle, thank you :)

The Op is Romanian and so is an EU citizen - under EU law, copyright is automatic and there is no need to register anywhere.

ok, ty for answers guys :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back