Corporate portraits, need help with lighting

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just recently redesigned my dad's website for his law firm. He now needs corporate portraits done. I don't do photography professionally.

I need to do a few different shots for the site:

a) 4 individual portraits of the lawyers in the firm. About middle of torso and up in frame. Blown-out white background. Consistent results important.
b) 4 individual portraits of the lawyers, more creative. Lighting/background can be whatever.
c) 1 group photo of the whole firm (secretaries, lawyers, etc).
d) 1 group photo of just the lawyers (4 lawyers). Preferably similar in nature to shot (a) described above.

I'm working with a D750, 85mm prime, 50mm prime, and 15-30 Tamron. I have a single SB-700 flash, and one tripod.

I'm not too worried about shots B or C, as the backgrounds and lighting can be primarily ambient. Inconsistent results on shots B & C are fine.

For shots A and D, though, I'm wondering what I should do in terms of renting/buying lighting equipment. I'm not sure what kind of backdrop I may need, additional continuous lighting, additional flashes, additional diffusion boxes, etc. I don't need a super complex setup, as long as the result is pleasant, and I don't have issues with backdrop shadows.

I am open to suggestions. If a slightly not-so-blown-out background would be easier to achieve, that might be fine. The website I designed calls for a very very very bright background with lots of separation (very bright blues would be acceptable in the background), but little to no out-of-focus parts on the subject.

Last edited:
For one time shots like these I would suggest just going outside. Take a small ladder to get you up a bit for the group shots. Use their building or a local park for a nice background.

A These need to be classic professional poses. 8 Tips to a Perfect Professional Business Portrait | Photo Magic of Texas
B. Go outside if the business has a good storefront and use that storefront. Again, you are talking about a classic business.
C. See B.
D. Conference room. Classic group of attorney photos.

Don't understand the whole white/light background thing.

www.Strobist.com for lighting ideas. It shouldn't take that much lighting. I have done lots of business professional photos with two strobes stands and some softboxes.

Great thanks for all the replies. I think I have a good general idea of the budget now, and the equipment I'll pick up :)

White background shots depend on having more light hitting a plain backdrop, and less light striking the portrait subject(s) in the foreground. The key is to have the right amounts of light hitting each area. If you want to rent something that will make it easy, you need a plain drywall-finished wall of some adequate size to position 4 adult lawyers in front of, about 10 feet or so in front of the wall; 15 feet in front of a BIG wall would be ideal. Then on the background you need two flash units of about 800 Watt-seconds each. For the foreground lighting on the four lawyers, you need about 300 to 400 Watt-seconds of light shot through a large modifier of at least say 1,200 square inches, or more, like a 1,728 square inch 36" x 48" softbox, or a 60-inch umbrella, something "big".

2 x 800 W-s for background, and 1 x 300 to 400 W-s for foreground will make a white wall or a white seamless drive up to pure, clean white in the Speedotron system, with the background lights being shot onto the paper from about 8 feet in front of the wall, and angled back to hit the wall so both lights are even, and maybe have a little bit of overlap in the very center.

A single Speedotron 2400 Watt-second power pack, and a pair of 102A flash heads with 11.5 inch 50-degree reflectors will light the background nicely if aimed right, or you could use two 32-inch black-backed reflecting umbrellas to light the background evenly. Block those off with big cards to prevent any lens flares. Light the group with a BIG softbox, or a big octa, or a large umbrella.

You could also do the four people individually, as "talls", and perhaps make a composite, or PAY like Asian Clipping Path a few bucks to make the four individual white-backdrop shots into one, 4-person "group" shot.

So...three flash units: 2 of 800 W-s (or more), and 1 flash of 300 to 400 W-S is needed. Three light stands,minimum. Big, plain wall, preferrably white or gray. One large modifier for the group, two smaller ones to light the backdrop evenly. 30 x 40 inch poster boards to serve as flags, to make SURE no background-light rays strike the group or the lens. Those would best be mounted on stands as well, with clamps, so five total stands would be very handy.

Last edited:
Hi, I've done quite a number of executive photos and here's what I'd think about besides the photography. If all are men, ask their wives to pick out a couple shirts, ties and clean and pressed jackets. If any are women ask them to bring a couple outfits that are business appropriate. Ask if the firm will pay for a hair and makeup stylist. They can be invaluable, taking care of "the look" while you take care of the camera and lights. These are busy people. Try to schedule appointments. Maybe 30 minutes each for makeup and shoot with clothing change. Leave yourself time on each side of each appointment. You will also be the 1st person blown off if there is a time crunch. Be patient. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not normally a headshot photographer, but I had a friend ask me for their firm.
Prince, Youngblood & Massagee, PLLC, Attorneys at Law, Hendersonville, North Carolina

For this, I had two lights, one left and one right. The main light, the brighter one, was just like this: https://res.cloudinary.com/powerrev...to,w_1024,h_682/prod/g7fntcp3eyixcvzsufnp.jpg
(that is the photek softliter)

then the other side... just a bit of fill was a shoot through umbrella.

remember that the closer the lights to the subject, the softer the light and less harsh the shadows will be.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back