What's new

Corrosion Rainbow

deeky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 22, 2012
Messages
1,244
Reaction score
415
Location
Sioux Falls, SD
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This was corroded stainless or aluminum - not sure which. Either way, liked the color patterns with the hard rivets for just a little contrast.

Curious for your reactions.


IMG_6194a by breckmiller, on Flickr
 
I'm not sure what you've done in pp here but I would prefer it with a different pp.

I know I haven't said anything helpful... ;)
 
It's actually very little post work on this one. Just slight bumps in saturation, contrast, and clarity; some slight local sharpening on the three rivets, and then a high pass layer masked off other than the three rivets just to pop them a little more. That's it. The colors really did look like that in person in the sunlight.

I played a little more and here's one other look at it:


IMG_6194b by breckmiller, on Flickr
 
It's actually very little post work on this one. Just slight bumps in saturation, contrast, and clarity; some slight local sharpening on the three rivets, and then a high pass layer masked off other than the three rivets just to pop them a little more. That's it. The colors really did look like that in person in the sunlight.
That actually is not "a bit" of pp. You've just confirmed my doubts and the reasons why I don't like this pp. Boosting contrast and clarity will boost saturation also. Adding there more saturation takes away from the image itself.

I like corrosion, always look at it and photograph it, that's why I commented on this photo.

We have different tastes. I never touch saturation slider and high pass filter I use rarely. For me, your pp is overwhelming and completely wrong with the corrosion. Corrosion suppose to be raw, strong, sharp imo, this is more like corrosion on drugs.

Don't be mad at me and don't hate me, it's just my preference ;) I like the photo , I just don't like your pp
 
FWIW, here's another shot, straight out of camera with no processing beyond converting from RAW to jpeg. Slightly different shot, but same corrosion. It wasn't corrosion like rust, so there was nothing to be sharp. Perhaps 'oxidation' would have been a better word than corrosion. It was more like a smear across the surface.


IMG_6193 by breckmiller, on Flickr
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom