Cottonwoods and Low Water on the Mississippi

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nice crisp Autumn day yesterday and I was able to get away from school work long enough to get out for a couple hours in the afternoon. Went down to the river which is really low this time of year.

Joe

cottonwoods_zpsed66331e.jpg

I would have loved seeing a bit more of the Mississippi in this one! It does look like a gorgeous day, but without knowing the river name from the title, it could be anything - even a little lake behind the tree.

Do you have any more? Missouri is such a gorgeous state. :)

I'd love to see other images, looks like such a lovely place!

where the photo is related, technically I would of liked to see a wider lens used, just to capture more of everything, I cant really fault anything other than how I would of liked to see the whole tree to complete the image :)

The river floodplain this time of year can be enchanting. The river slows down and the sediment drops out and it's actually blue under a blue sky. I only had my little point n' shoot compact along for the walk. I did take a shot that included the top of the tree, but I didn't like that big black branch sticking out the left side so I moved in for some closer shots. Terri I was already holding the camera over my head so that's as much water as you're going to get. I shouldn't have told you it was the Mississippi and then you wouldn't have cared. :wink:

Joe

cottonwood_zps9da6853d.jpg

This is what I mean when I say I just want my photos to put people there- I am African American and never been to Ole Miss- being a descendant of slaves I think you know what the opportunity to see what my fore Fathers saw means to me- And it is not shot with a tourist guide in mind- I love the aperture fore and distant- the dryness of the brush you can feel crumble between finger tips- the shadows great and the sky gradient with the water blue and receding shore line too boot- nice- thanks for putting me there- the age of the tree is intriguing- this is what I get from your photo- thank you.

Terri I was already holding the camera over my head so that's as much water as you're going to get. I shouldn't have told you it was the Mississippi and then you wouldn't have cared. :wink:

hee hee, you're right - those pesky titles. ;)

I do like the second shot - I think I prefer the vertical where the tree is the more obvious subject.

This is what I mean when I say I just want my photos to put people there- I am African American and never been to Ole Miss- being a descendant of slaves I think you know what the opportunity to see what my fore Fathers saw means to me- And it is not shot with a tourist guide in mind- I love the aperture fore and distant- the dryness of the brush you can feel crumble between finger tips- the shadows great and the sky gradient with the water blue and receding shore line too boot- nice- thanks for putting me there- the age of the tree is intriguing- this is what I get from your photo- thank you.

I'm glad you like the photos. The Mississippi and it's history are a hobby of mine. The river is not indifferent as Oscar Hammerstein suggested. It remembers -- it's a marker in place and through time and it tells it's stories. Come visit some day.

Joe

Most reactions

Back