Could someone help me with this terrible doubt?

gutho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I want to buy a new camera and after a lot of searching I felt in love by the Canon EOS 7D. It seems to be an awesome choice. But looking for some samples from other cameras (more specifically Canon T3i and Nikon D7000), the 7D samples doesn't seem to have a so "vivid" color, I don't know... Is it a totally wrong impression? Maybe the conditions of the photos were different? I don't know, that makes me confused because T3i is not so advanced as 7D and the Nikon costs half of the price... Could someone give me a feedback about it? I would be deeply grateful because I am kind lost. By the way, forgive me if this question is silly, it's because I am not an advanced user.

There are three galleries which can help me to ilustrate the impressions I am talikng about:

Canon EOS 7D:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/page31.asp

Canon T3i:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos600d/page20.asp

Nikon D7000:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/page22.asp

I think you have a totally odd impression. Don't compare the 7D with the T3i-they are two different birds. The T3i is an entry level DSLR. The 7D is a much more advanced piece of gear.
The d7000 is a viable option there and you have to decide which one fits you best and does what you want it to do in the best way for you.

Yes MLeek, that's why I'm so confused. I know 7D is in another level indeed... But could you take a look on the galleries link I've posted to check about what I'm talking about? It would be great to hear from a more experienced user to compare and understand my impressions.

You can't use the shots at Dp review for a comparrison in any way. They are not the same image shot with wto different cameras, They are completely didffernt images shot by tow differnt photograpghers.One that shot the 7D shot a lot of dull flat boring city scapes and the other one shot a lot of colorful poppy images. So of course.which one do you think looks better?

Here's te thing, the 7D and the T3i have similar sensors with different electronics bdhind them. If you had both camera side by side on a sunny day with the same lens, the two images would look more or less identical.

The 7D will go lower in light (High ISO)and has more "technical " capabilities. Better focus system, better waterproofing, Faster Frame Rate shooting, Better Shooting Buffer. The ability to control flashes off camera etc.

Basic Image quaility if you didn't USE those technincal qualities...You would never know the difference.

The best thing to make the most difference is buy the lesser camara and then buy better lenses. A cheap lens on a 7D will get you no where. A Great lens ona T31 will

gutho said:
Hello guys,

I want to buy a new camera and after a lot of searching I felt in love by the Canon EOS 7D. It seems to be an awesome choice. But looking for some samples from other cameras (more specifically Canon T3i and Nikon D7000), the 7D samples doesn't seem to have a so "vivid" color, I don't know... Is it a totally wrong impression? Maybe the conditions of the photos were different? I don't know, that makes me confused because T3i is not so advanced as 7D and the Nikon costs half of the price... Could someone give me a feedback about it? I would be deeply grateful because I am kind lost. By the way, forgive me if this question is silly, it's because I am not an advanced user.

There are three galleries which can help me to ilustrate the impressions I am talikng about:

Canon EOS 7D:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/page31.asp

Canon T3i:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos600d/page20.asp

Nikon D7000:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/page22.asp

Buddy no camera is gud unless u know how to use it. U know what I mean, right? So my suggestion is to go for entry level dslr first and know what it is, how does it work and how to make work for u. U can upgrade it any time if u want.

Just my 2 paise ;)

Hello guys,

Canon EOS 7D:
Canon EOS 7D Review: 31. Samples: Digital Photography Review

Canon T3i:
Canon EOS 600D Review: 20. Samples: Digital Photography Review

Nikon D7000:
Nikon D7000 Review: 22. Conclusion & Samples: Digital Photography Review

As far as the vivid colors.....check the Saturation levels in the mode your shooting in....they can be altered to appear more vivid from one camera to the next...

I suggest you look real hard the the D7000...it is a very well made, well like camera out here.....buy once cry once.....

The 7D and D7000 are equally priced on Amazon right now... both just over $1300.

Both are great cameras, but are a huge investment if you're just starting out. I'd recommend starting with the T3i you suggested before you get too much invested. No mater which body you choose, the camera is just the tip of the ice burg. Vivid color tends to have a lot more to do with your lenses, lighting and processing... your images aren't going to look dull coming out of any particular upper end DSLR.

If this is your first DSLR save yourself $500 or more and get a Canon T3. Unless there is a very specific reason you need faster shutter speed or fps, you won't even notice the difference in pictures. Use the rest of the $500 to get some quality glass.

Go there: Canon EOS 600D Review: 18. Compared to (Raw): Digital Photography Review and choose the cameras you want to compare to T3i; change ISO, move the image area, etc. In RAW, you will see that T3i and 7D are more or less identical, because they have more or less the same sensor. In JPEG, you will see that T3i JPEG internal conversion is set to be slightly more vivid - something good for beginners, that use JPEG instead of postprocessing RAW according to their taste. No dSLR camera gives its best on the auto settings ;) .

Thank you so much for the opinions guys, you can imagine how that can help me because I'm really in doubt. Both Canon and Nikon looks wonderful to me and they are like a brunete and blond you know, both can be astonishing each one with your singular qualities. Because of the money I can have only one and it's not going to be a one night stand for sure, I really want to marry this time :) After I buy it, I don't want to change the camera soon, really ... And I really want to dive deeply in the one which I am going to get. I already have a DSRL for years but it's so old and outdated and it's really time to buy a new one. Do you mind if I ask a few others question which is going to help me choose the best option? Ok, let me do it then:

In the three camera models (both Canon and the Nikon), can I have the same picture quality? I know it's a a very abstract and particular subject and it depends how best is the photographer but I mean, technically, any of those three can give me the same colour, lighting, sharpness quality?

Which is usually better, make a pre processing configuration before take a photo or take a photo in a raw mode and make a pos processing to reach a specific result?

In my case, I want to take all kind of photos but primarily I need a good camera for action photo and also which take good photos indoor. Considering these 3 options which one is more suitable for these needs?

About lens and filters, which one(s) you advise me to look for for canon or Nikon? The very necessary one(s)? I mean, if I could have just one or two which ones are the ones?

If you can help once more, you would made a happy guy, really!

Scratch all of those and buy a Pentax K5 ;)

You do realize, I hope, that the biggest contributor to good results is the person holding the camera? It is the skill, knowledge and talent that will make your pictures memorable. Most equipment, from either manufacturer, will have capabilities that greatly exceed the abilities of the beginning photographer, so the equipment choice is almost never the limiting factor. You mention that you already used a DSLR for years, but the questions you are asking do not reveal a deep understanding of camera mechanics (if I am wrong, please accept my apologies). So perhaps this is an opportunity to build up the knowledge base. Learn about the exposure triangle, basic composition and basic postprocessing. Take lots of photos but in a structured manner: form an intent, set up and make your shot, analyse how your results compared to the intent, and where the improvement needs to be. Use TPF (and other forums) as a resource to getting your photos critiqued. Join a photography club and participate in the club shoots, competitions, and workshops. If you can, join a mentoring program and learn from a more experienced photographer. With your photographic skills evolving, you'll see where you need more equipment. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, in which case I'll send you by PM a suitable place to place it.;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back