couple more tricolored and green herons from kayak

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
took the kayak out today to one of my local spots I spend a lot of time at. this time was my first on the kayak, I have been here probably 100s of times but never from a kayak, it was really nice to be able to explore pretty much anywhere I wanted.

did some fishing as well all in all 6 hours and got a ton of up close and personal photos of herons. the green and tricolored, allowed me to get within less then min focusing distance, it was pretty outstanding I could almost reach out and grab them :lol:.

here are a few photos, I haven't even really looked at them all, just picked a few to edit a little. also identified at least one green heron nest, saw a green heron sitting on it, and then another green heron couple in another location.

1) tricolor, up close and personal.
tri11.jpg

2) ehh, I guess I will throw in a great blue heron, I just like its wing detail and the lighting.
tri12.jpg

3) my friend the green heron
tri13.jpg

4) the tricolored giving me the over the shoulder look
tri14.jpg

5) morning light, shot about when I got there at 7:30 or so.
tri15.jpg

I also am adding some photos of me in action, as my friend was there shooting from the bank, and sent me these.
$untitled1.jpg$untitled2.jpg

6) up close of the heron
tri16.jpg

7) im sneaky
tri17.jpg

8) my what long neck you have
tri18.jpg

That's a beast of a lens. Great series. 2 and 6 my favorites.

High shutter speed or VR when using slower shutter speeds. But high shutter speed is really key. I would rather shoot wide open or close to it and even bump up ISO because it will help me gain shutter speed which helps with sharper images when stability issues and hand holding is about the only option.

Thanks for the comments its a 500 f4 vr and d800, but the 10+ lbs deffently gets heavy while sitting in a kayak for many hours

You used to hear everyone talk about gimble heads and heavy duty tripods for big glass. But let's be totally real here. How many of you do wildlife photography and stay in one spot. I dont shoot from a blind or one spot ever. I dont have birds come to me, i have to move around an follow.

With modern IS and VR lenses that weigh less then the first version glass and high iso capability FF cameras i rarely use a tripod or even my monopod, both are too restrictive and cause to loose many shots adjusting or spending time moving it around. And forget about close bif. Everyone i have talked to wildlife photography wise says handhold if you can, while im young i will keep doing it for now

You used to hear everyone talk about gimble heads and heavy duty tripods for big glass. But let's be totally real here. How many of you do wildlife photography and stay in one spot. I dont shoot from a blind or one spot ever. I dont have birds come to me, i have to move around an follow.

With modern IS and VR lenses that weigh less then the first version glass and high iso capability FF cameras i rarely use a tripod or even my monopod, both are too restrictive and cause to loose many shots adjusting or spending time moving it around. And forget about close bif. Everyone i have talked to wildlife photography wise says handhold if you can, while im young i will keep doing it for now
I agree. Staying in one spot I would have missed some of the descent shots I got.

There is no right answer really do what works best for you. I use my monopod and tripod sometimes, but rarely. When i first got my long lenses i would use a monopod with tilt head all the time, but now i just hold it, works well even on a rapid strap. But if i had a 400 2.8 or a 600 f4 i probably wouldn't be hand holding. I think the 500 f4 is about the limit as far as me and nikon weight goes. Now canons new second gen lenses there 600 might be even lighter the the 500mm nikon, cause the new canon 500 is 1.5 lbs less, thats huge savings

Firstly great series as always! You really get awesome Herons. It's pretty rare for a Tricolor to come up this way.

I agree about the tripod/monopod, and I don't have VR or a FF.. I never stay still for very long either, if the birds aren't there I go to another spot.. It's kind of like fishing, you can cover a lot more water trolling then sitting in one spot... The few times I have brought out a pod I always end up leaving it at the beginning of the trail. because I normally end up chasing something through bushes...

Mathew, these are very good images. You keep raising the bar with these guys.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back