Couple of firsts for me

birdbonkers84

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While I was in Vancouver I came across many Great Blue Heron around the Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park. I also stumbled across a Pileated Woodpecker, pecking on a log on the floor. Never seen a woodpecker in the wild before, annoying it was surround by branches and twigs so getting a clear shot was a nightmare. Such a cool find. I could of lived in Stanley Park. Also seen wood ducks irl for the first time too!

1. Pileated Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker by Mark Coull, on Flickr

2. Great Blue Heron, would liked to of seen more of the reflection, unfotunately it wasn't possible.
Great blue heron by Mark Coull, on Flickr

3. Female Wood Duck
Female Wood duck by Mark Coull, on Flickr

4. Male Wood Duck
Male Wood Duck by Mark Coull, on Flickr

Nice set, #1 is my favorite

Nice set. Really love the woodpecker.

Ach, these are a pretty good standard and I like your shots and I think you can take some nice shots and are learning fast. So I'm going to give you some pretty harsh critique. This is not to do you down, but because I think you are capeable of some excellent shots. I do hope you take if as constuctive.

1. Tail cropped, either include it or scrap it.

2. Looks like you've pushed in post. Tones are a bit grey on the heron and I'd expect more backlighting (specular highights on the edge of the feathers to be spesific)

3. Blown highlights around the beak or/and same tone as background but it merges anc the overall effect is that that area looks blurred or lacking in sharpness

4 Is accaptable though a bit lacking jn tone

Ach, these are a pretty good standard and I like your shots and I think you can take some nice shots and are learning fast. So I'm going to give you some pretty harsh critique. This is not to do you down, but because I think you are capeable of some excellent shots. I do hope you take if as constuctive.

1. Tail cropped, either include it or scrap it.

2. Looks like you've pushed in post. Tones are a bit grey on the heron and I'd expect more backlighting (specular highights on the edge of the feathers to be spesific)

3. Blown highlights around the beak or/and same tone as background but it merges anc the overall effect is that that area looks blurred or lacking in sharpness

4 Is accaptable though a bit lacking jn tone
Not sure but if so OP correct me on this if i am wrong but i think the woodpecker one may have just had a clipped tail

Not sure but if so OP correct me on this if i am wrong but i think the woodpecker one may have just had a clipped tail

Naw, definatley cut off in camera mate, have a look at the frame.
Do you mean he cropped it or he just framed it to where it cut off the tail but maybe he did not notice? you have me confused when i said it may have just had a clipped tail that would be in camera

Do you mean he cropped it or he just framed it to where it cut off the tail but maybe he did not notice? you have me confused when i said it may have just had a clipped tail that would be in camera

Yeah mate, framed it to where where it cut off the tail. Sorry in my speak clipped can also mean just cutting off a bit

Yeah mate, framed it to where where it cut off the tail. Sorry in my speak clipped can also mean just cutting off a bit
Oh ok so i will try to remember not to use clipped when i mean in camera

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back