Couple of firsts for me

Ach, these are a pretty good standard and I like your shots and I think you can take some nice shots and are learning fast. So I'm going to give you some pretty harsh critique. This is not to do you down, but because I think you are capeable of some excellent shots. I do hope you take if as constuctive.

1. Tail cropped, either include it or scrap it.

2. Looks like you've pushed in post. Tones are a bit grey on the heron and I'd expect more backlighting (specular highights on the edge of the feathers to be spesific)

3. Blown highlights around the beak or/and same tone as background but it merges anc the overall effect is that that area looks blurred or lacking in sharpness

4 Is accaptable though a bit lacking jn tone

Thanks for your input Weepete, you are right the woodpeeker's tail has been clipped in the framing, I've others so will look them over. I still like the shot though.

The Heron was underexposed so I either upped the exposure in post or the shadows, would need to look over the raw file. It had a stick poking out of its head, but I removed that.

I think after Zombie Snr comment the wood duck shot would be better in colour as I had it originally. I also don't think the eye is in focus after taking a closer look.

As always I appreciate the critique.

Wood ducks are my favorite duck. Those Pileated aren't very cooperative usually lol.
My girlfriend loved them because of the colours, they look like a painted wooden duck is what she said.

Most reactions

Back