What's new

Couple Pics from the new Camera

pmcbrier

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 12, 2007
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Location
Salt Lake City, UT
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got a Canon 40D recently and it is my first SLR. It kicks ass from what I can tell, and while I have always enjoyed taking pictures, this takes it to a whole new level. Anyways, nice blog, here are a couple photos, and I would like advice on how to improve. Thanks in advance.

1.
3933488066_d7c0c5db42_o.jpg


2.
ProvoRiverfishing2_2.jpg


3.
TimpoonekeTrailTimpanogosmmddyyd-1.jpg
 
Very cool dog shot. I'm loving the last photo. Keep it up!
 
2&3 are nice, especially for your first few. #1 is a bit out of focus... try a faster shutter speed if you're shooting manual. Like the ideas though, keep it going.
 
#1 the focus is off or your shutter speed is too slow, #2 and 3 are nice first efforts. #2 is definitely best out of the 3, IMO.
 
Big fan of #2 and #3, what lens did you shoot them with?
 
Big fan of #2 and #3, what lens did you shoot them with?

These were shot with a Canon 40d kit lens 28-135mm
Settings for the photos are as follows:
1. f/5.6, 1/500, 250iso, 135mm, Tv, Pattern metering, Center focus dot.
I thought 1/500 would be fast enough. Maybe I was wrong, maybe a focus issue?

2. f/9.0, 1/250, 200iso, 28mm, Av, Pattern metering, Center focus dot.

3. f/16, 1/80, 200iso, 28mm, M, Pattern metering, unsure as to focus settings.
This may have benefited from using a lower aperture setting to let more light in, along the lines of the second one, but I was concerned that I wanted to have the flowers, which were very close, in focus, so I went high on the f/stop. Ideas?

I have been studying up, reading Peterson's Understanding Exposure. I have been reading online on how to improve fairly constantly in the evenings, as well as trying to learn how to develop a post processing workflow to try to bring more out of the photos after shooting. I am using Adobe Camera Raw, and Photoshop CS3.

Thanks for the comments. I will post more photos up soon.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom