"Crashing" | Big Waves | Joaquin

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wow. The waves last night at Beavertail State Park were incredible. We arrived just a few minutes before sunset and I ran down to the shore to shoot the sunset, and that TOO was a killer! Really glad we made the trip out, and I'm headed back today in the hopes of photographing the waves themselves in better light. Wish me luck!

_RSP8218 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Taken with:

Nikon D800
Nikon 16-35 f4 VRII
Lee 0.3 GND Hard
Hitech 0.6 Reverse GND
Induro CT2124 + Arca Swiss Monoball + Really Right Stuff L-Bracket

Cheers!
Jake

Not a single response? Hmmm..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really nice Jake. I keep trying to figure out if it works better with some of the sky cropped.

There is incredible energy in the ocean right now! You're lucky you have beach access . Here on the Eastern Shore we have lost all beach parking!

Wonderful picture! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with today.

I'm no stickler for the rules of photography, but having the horizon directly in the center of frame isn't working for me here. There is nice light, and good wave action, but it would've helped to either shoot or process the photo to show the viewer what the main subject is. I would get closer and lower to the waves (take that with a grain of salt- I've badly damaged my d750 doing that hah) to add some drama to the scene. It's a nice photo but there isn't much here to draw me in that would make it a great photo

I'm no stickler for the rules of photography, but having the horizon directly in the center of frame isn't working for me here. There is nice light, and good wave action, but it would've helped to either shoot or process the photo to show the viewer what the main subject is. I would get closer and lower to the waves (take that with a grain of salt- I've badly damaged my d750 doing that hah) to add some drama to the scene. It's a nice photo but there isn't much here to draw me in that would make it a great photo

Valid assessment. The difficulty is that the waves were, on average, less than a foot below where my legs were. The rogue waves coming up significantly higher than that. It was difficult to get close and stay safe. haha. But I see what you mean. Solid material and colors, but the composition is lacking.

Jake

Really nice Jake. I keep trying to figure out if it works better with some of the sky cropped.

Oh I could never crop out that color...

Oh I could never crop out that color...

Maybe near a third off the bottom then? I suggested the sky initially because waves were mentioned in title.

Most reactions

Back