Creating v. Producing

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In a few of the more 'philosophical' threads we've had recently, I felt like this was a sort of sub-issue, that we might discuss a bit more on the surface.

On this board, of those that produce a lot of content we typically have two sorts of photographers, the 'working pros' and the 'diligent amateurs'. Both terms, I think, are really not particularly good ways to term what I mean, but I'm not particularly sure what they should be termed. I think the issue comes to the purpose of your craft.

One type produces content for a job, to fulfill a purpose. This isn't to say there isn't creativity and talent used in the production of this type of photography. The point is that it's primarily to fulfill a demand. And not an ephemeral demand for art or beauty, but a very specific demand for a certain image of a certain thing. Before the camera, this type of demand was often fulfilled by painters, and was in fact the primary thing that even the great masters did. The majority of Leonardo's work was commissioned and was to be of a certain thing. Leonardo was considered great in time not because he was creative (which he obviously was) but because he could realistically paint that which he was commissioned to paint. Today, a realistic depiction in a photograph doesn't take near the skill level that it took in Leonardo's day did with a paint brush, but it still does take some level of skill and know how. However, no matter how much skill and talent it might take to produce a great portrait, there's always a certain sense that 'if I wasn't here, somebody else would make this same image, probably reasonably similarly to the way in which I'm doing it right now." Sure, the lighting might be slightly different, and the pose might be slightly different, but probably not in a way that really matters to anybody who is ever going to view this photograph. But because it does take a certain amount of skill and equipment to produce such a work, you do get paid for it. You're essentially paid for your time, skill and usage of your equipment. This is what I mean by producing photography. It doesn't mean it's devoid of all creativity. It simply means that creativity is to serve the production. In some way you aren't creating something, you're an assembly line. Many times a self contained assembly line, but an assembly line none-the-less. I don't think you can say such work is or isn't art. That's sort of besides the point. The distinction is that you produced content to be consumed by a specific paying audience.

On the other hand, we have creating photography. This is the idea of taking a picture not because of demand, but because of the need, felt inside the photographer, to release this vision of something that probably wouldn't otherwise be created. It may or may not be beautiful or interesting, or even very good, but it's a release of something inside you. I take a lot of fairly moody cityscapes. Every now and again somebody likes them, and I've even had people buy prints of them a few times. But this is really only incidental. These works are created for me. They're created because I have an intense, personal desire to create a photograph capturing the feeling of the moment and place I was inhabiting at that time. I can't paint. I can sort of but not really write songs. So the camera was the medium I chose. While I may hope people like this type of work, the main point is that it's something of me, out in the world. To the extent that it is or isn't original is the extent to which I am or am not original, and my skill in capturing myself through the way I capture the world.

This isn't to say that it's not important for other people to like your creative work, but it's important for a different reason than your production type work. Whereas for production type work, where I am making something for somebody else, it's important that other people like it, because other people are the entire point. It's their work. I'm merely a vessel through which their desires are expressed. When it comes to my creative work, it's important to me that other people like my work, because it helps me connect to other people in a way that just isn't possible through normal discourse. When somebody gets my work, it's an affirmation that somebody else get me. However, when people don't get my work, it can be just as special. It either indicates that there is some aspect of who I am that people don't get in the first place, or it indicates that I'm not very good at expressing who I am. Neither of those realizations are particularly failures.

And this isn't to say that these two are some exclusive or exhaustive dichotomy. They're blended all the time. Maybe there are other types of photography besides those two as well. However, I do think a problem can arise when the two become unknowingly confused. I think it can be bad when a photographer called upon to produce a product for consumption by another person confuses that with creation of personal art. The photographer may get angry when their work isn't accepted in such scenarios, clients may get angry that their demands weren't fulfilled. The photographer may speak of staying true to his or her vision, yet create something that doesn't fully fulfill the needs of the client consumer. The photographer's self indulgence has made people in the world less happy. He has only created something for somebody who didn't want it. A great political philosopher once said (sorry I can't remember who) "the great failing of communism wasn't in motivating people to produce, it was in figuring out what people wanted to consume. We ended up making lots of things people didn't want and little of what they did." This is what happens when the producer confuses production with creation. The world is lessened by your creations, not bettered.

Similarly, when someone confuses creation with production we are equally worsened. When an artist is so desirous of acceptance of their art that they change their art to suit the tastes of consumers, they've confused creation with production. This sort of art never lasts long. It's what is often labelled as selling out. And the problem isn't that they're not being true to their artistic vision. The problem is that they have lost their artistic vision by bending it to a homogenized version of other people's desires. Producing work to be consumed is fine, but just don't let it cause you to lose the creative aspect of the art, if that's what you set out to do.

True, great, creative art is amazing because it allows you to experience another creative mind and find something out about yourself, and the other at the same time. It allows you to deepen your individuality, while also knowing you connect with somebody else. However, when we cheapen our creative work by making it easily consumable, and still pretend that it's our vision, that's when the process is cheapened for all involved.

In some sense, I think the age of the internet and easy theft of intellectual property is a bit of a boon to this dichotomy. There was a time when art for creation and art for production was often and easily confused. Because money was often demanded to experience creativity, creativity was often conflated with production. This was and is perhaps more of an issue in musical art, but is still something of an issue in photography as well.

In a sense creative work is the making of a new virus, one that is cultivated in the greatest virus maker in world history, our human brain, and then either keeping it there, or unleashing to see exactly how many people it can infect. Production is manufacturing viruses that are old, well established and work.

As far as payment goes, when it comes to production, it's quite obvious. In that you are fulfilling a demand, payment is fairly straight forward. There's a supply of capable photographers and a demand for images. As supply and demand fluctuates, so does payment, but it's relatively clear how it all works. For creative work, payment is sporadic and incidental. I don't think it is wrong to make money for creative work, but I think if you're aspiring to create, you shouldn't seek payment on purpose. It should merely, occasionally be the result. If you're a good creative photographer, you can easily produce work too, so it's not like you'll be left high and dry and destitute (though perhaps less well off than if you tried to do something harder with greater demand). When I make creative work, if somebody wants to take it, then so be it. If somebody wants to pay me for it, then so be it. I'm not producing the work for money, the 'payment' as such was releasing the work into the world int eh first place. If others arbitrarily like it, and desire to give me money for it, then that's sort of like finding a $20 bill on the ground. I'm not trying to say this is how everybody should feel about their art, but merely how I feel about art. Though it does mean I also have little sympathy for when people take the creative art of another (so long as they don't misrepresent it as their own work). Others may differ on that aspect, it's merely how I feel when it comes to creative art. When it's created, it's released, what happens after that is up to the world, not me.

Anyway, that got a lot more ramble-y than I intended and I fully comprehend that it's most likely "tl;dr" but it was something I wanted to kind of get out there and see what would happen if it was out there.

I'm not sure if this falls in the same vein of discussion, but this whole kind of debate is the reason I don't particularly enjoy street photography. I don't feel like I'm creating "art" or whatever. It just feels like I'm recording something that anyone with a keen enough eye could just as easily photograph with usually minimal effort. But when I'm actively trying to bring a concept that I came up with to fruition then I feel more productive and it boosts my self-esteem, because it feels like I accomplished something.

Photojournalism/editorial photography, on the other hand, is almost like the production side of things. It's not necessarily self-centered like the artistic side of street photography is. Generally I'm told where I need to be and what kind of shots I need to get for some sort of publication. It's more of a job than an individual endeavor, and for some reason I enjoy that more.

But in the terms that you are wanting to discuss, I find myself enjoying the artistic side of things more than the production side. Part of this, I think, is because art doesn't have boundaries that are as concrete as, say, commercial photography. Yes there are general guidelines for what makes an appealing photograph, but generally commercial photography is done a certain way, and must be technically at its best, because that is the industry standard. The fine art of photography on the other hand doesn't always require that technical perfection because art isn't as easily categorized and is much broader in scale then other types of photography.

That's why I like the fine art side more. I can not attain the technical prowess that is required for production-type photography. I mean, if I had a whole production team with an artistic director or something, maybe, but I think that the imperfections of my production photos would drive me to the point of depression.

lol It sounds like I'm taking the easy way out. "Art is easy but commercial photography is hard." I don't mean it to sound that way. I just think that the conceptual part of a lot of commercial photography isn't as complex as fine art while the technical aspects are difficult, while it's the opposite for fine art itself.

It's too early to be thinking this hard. And it's not even that early, ha.

I agree, essentially, but would probably lean on the "spectrum" aspect more. How much do other people's ideas influence your work, how much do you care what other people think?

There's a second dimension here, which is "how much of your own creativity can you sneak in?" The best commercial work is really a collaboration between the customer and an artist who is also a skilled technician. Is is these collaborations that drive change in commercial work, that bring in new ideas which the other 99.9% then copy. The best artistic work is arguably done with a keen sense of how it will affect the viewers, not a literal collaboration but a collaboration between the artist and a notional audience. We see it less in photography, but imagine the playwright, if you will. The author of a play has to be very much in tune with How People Watch Plays, to get the cadences right and so on. A photographer, even one making the most pure art, is well served by a similar set of instincts.

Also, I think it's a mistake to try to understand payment in the same context as the way of working. It muddies the water and obscures what you're sorting through. It's a fine topic of discussion in its own right, of course.

rexbobcat, isn't "seeing and recording" what all of photography is? I can see, certainly, that there are degrees, and possibly street emphasizes aspects past your comfort level. Or do you prefer studio work, where you control everything?

I think the issues raised about 'street photography' and control are pretty on-target.
If you look at a the image of commercial shot on a set to simulate reality, everything in the frame is 'on target' and 'on message'. Off message things are minimized or just not there at all.

The major hurdle of street photography is to create the message on the fly and somehow manage the frame so that off target things are excluded or minimized. The amount of control is limited to what the photographer handling the camera and PPing can do. Emphasis is on pre-visualization, camera positioning and fast response and thus it is a real challenge for novice photographers.

personally, the biggest difference for "me" isn't about the creative process at all... its a difference of personal satisfaction and enjoyment. I don't really enjoy just randomly "shooting" all that much. now days, I rarely just go out and take pictures for the sake of doing so. I just don't care much for photographing "for me".

now, shooting for someone else? I LOVE that. whether it is commissioned work, someone needing portraits done, or second shooting.
I have two second shooting gigs coming up early next year, and I cant wait. I find shooting for myself boring. yup, I took another picture of a car, or a flower, or my kid...I just cant get into it enough to REALLY enjoy doing it. Give me a set of criteria for something you need photographed, and im all over that.

I know what the arguments will be on this one...I don't have any artistic vision of my own...if i were a more talented photographer I would enjoy ALL aspects of photography... and maybe thats all true. and maybe i am perfectly happy with my limited scope of practice as a photographer. But my job as a paramedic is to go in and assess a situation, use a predetermined set of protocols (written by other people) and get the best possible outcome staying within those protocols. we have a specifically set "scope of practice". we don't get much "creative" license when it comes to what we can and can not do. our protocols are basically someones "vision" of what the best course of treatment is for certain issues. I love my job. and i love treating photography the same way. I LOVE taking someones vision and getting the best possible results within the criteria that I am given. maybe thats not "creating"..maybe I am only "producing". im still OK with that. Im comfortable doing it. I enjoy doing it. The only difference is, with photography, changes CAN be made if necessary without calling a doctor at the receiving facility.

this may be a bit off topic..kinda sounded like this thread was along these lines at least a LITTLE...if not, sorry for the hijack.

pixmedic, there can definitely be a HUGE boost in ones enjoyment and indeed in ones personal creativity when you bring some collaboration into the mix. Just having someone else set some limits and bring out some ideas can really get things going.

I saw this in mathematics a lot. There are the guys who labor away in solitude, and there are the guys who are completely helpless without a collaborator or two. Both can be equally brilliant and individually creative, but they need different settings and contexts to get that brilliance rolling. I dare say art of any sort is much the same.

This has been the best post I've read in my almost six years here, I think. Thank you.

I have the benefit of living with a creative artist, who has sold works, published images, exhibited, and taught. In her field, the technical ability is an important part of what she does, but her method is to work at it until the technical part is so internalized, that it disappears below the level of consciousness. Her creative process focuses on her vision, and the means by which she achieves this is supported by a framework of technical expertise which is always present, but never the primary focus.

We have a friend who is a professional artistic potter. It's her main source of revenue, but her focus is on producing beautiful pieces that go way beyond functional. She also teaches and works at developing new techniques. She also sees the technical expertise necessary to fulfil her artistic vision, and she has lamented the tendency of some students to focus on technique while producing un-inspiring pots and cups. They are looking for a formula, and she's trying to get them to get past that to a point where they can create work that excites and inspires. As she has pointed out to us, some of the work is technically flawed, but original and stunning. These students will, eventually, master the technical part and push their art to a different plane. The ones who work on the technical parts without the creative spark, might as well be producing nice cups in a factory.

I am trying hard to develop the same level of technical expertise in my photography, hopefully to the level that it becomes completely transparent to the process of creating or capturing an image. To my mind, the physical equipment is just a toolbox. The knowledge and skill to use the tools in the toolbox are the "soft" tools. The ability to "see" and create interesting or inspiring images is the higher-order skill that leverages talent with training and experience. In this forum (and on others as well), we tend to focus on the physical tools first, and to some extent on the soft tools, but we rarely venture into areas that involve the third. One of the reasons I have enjoyed work from David (Bitter Jeweler), Judi (Pixelrabbit), Mischele, Frederico (Invisible), Nandakumar (Frequency), Lew (The Traveller), and others (my apologies if I have not listed everyone I admire on this forum, but it IS a long list), is that they often feature images that speak to the third area of perception and seeing.

@fjrabon: in your discussing the "production" of portrait photography, you are completely correct in that the lighting part may be more or less the same, but it is the interaction of the subject with the photographer that will take the image from a standard shot into something that can be revealing. It is that interaction that takes the image to a different level. Whether it is Karsh, or Leibovitz, or Steiglitz, or Lang... the portraits speak to us because the subjects and the photographers were interacting.

@Lew: I find street photography to be very difficult, precisely because of the need to quickly sieze the moment where the image comes together - my technical skill is not at the level when I can successfully capture the "feeling" at the right moment. I admire the ability of the artists who can do this effectively. On the other hand, the "ambush" style of street photography that some practice leaves me feeling cold, and on a certain level, disgusted.

@ rexbobcat: a street photographer that I admire has told me that sometimes his "spontaneous" shots take weeks of waiting for the right moment to come together. He is a keen observer, and often notices "something" that is interesting or intruiging, and then he figures out where he needs to be to be able to capture the image. Then he waits for the right moment (light, passerbys, background) to come together. As he told me, the street people he sometimes photographs stop paying attention to him after the first few hours, and leave him alone to do his thing, like they do theirs. He uses a 28mm or 35mm lens on a full-frame, so you can understand he's close to his subjects. He finds ways to fit in, and the result is that he has some moving and poignant images, partly because his subjects accept him.

Well fjrabon if there are two types of photographers on this site then I happen to be the third type and I would probably suggest that there is a fourth type as well. (One amateur type and 3 pro categories)

In the pro category there is a photographic technician who documents objects, works, evidence, experiments etc. with no creativity expected. There is the photographer who runs his own business and does weddings, sports, events, children, portraits, etc. with his/her own style and creativity.

I am the more rare type in this forum. The salaried producer/photographer who works on projects with total creative control of the images and I am definitely NOT on any assembly line and yes a producer is creating something.

skieur

skieur said:
I am the more rare type in this forum. The salaried producer/photographer who works on projects with total creative control of the images and I am definitely NOT on any assembly line and yes a producer is creating something.

Ditto. Only...for me. Totally.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back