Criticism, Please!

JenKat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is a photo from a "shoot" for my cousin's senior photos. While we got quite a few good shots, I really like this one.

Since I am still learning, I would love some other people's criticism on composition and editing especially... I used Lightroom 3 for this.

I was happy with the results. The colors turned out very well I think.

Thanks!

148658_166647216700544_100000657991006_405955_6547833_n-3.jpg

The desaturated look is a matter of taste. If you and the her like that's fine. The main points I see for improvement here are in the exposure; you have blown highlights in her hair and deep shadow around her right eye. A reflector or fill-flash would have reduced the overall dynamic range and given some detail to the right side of her face.

The desaturated look is a matter of taste. If you and the her like that's fine. The main points I see for improvement here are in the exposure; you have blown highlights in her hair and deep shadow around her right eye. A reflector or fill-flash would have reduced the overall dynamic range and given some detail to the right side of her face.

The color editing was for fun on my part. The original I left in natural colors, and brought out the color just a little bit. I did this one to get an artistic affect.

I know the exposure's not right. The photos were taken on a very bright day, and I had not yet bought a reflector...

I'm so looking forward to getting my first dslr, and having alot more flexibility with settings. :)

:thumbup:

I prefer bright vivid colors myself.

The biggest problem with this shot is that the model is competing with the tree !!!
The tree was the first thing my eye went to.

The tonality looks fake ... especially the dodging of the right (dark) side of face.
I tend to prefer photographs that look natural (like in real life).

Artistically I like!~ the de-saturated colors and the comp is nice. It is however blown out in the high lights and a little shadowy for me. Reduced lights and bring up the shadow around her face and hand. (maybe trim a bit off the tree) My opinion

The biggest problem with this shot is that the model is competing with the tree !!!
The tree was the first thing my eye went to.

The tonality looks fake ... especially the dodging of the right (dark) side of face.
I tend to prefer photographs that look natural (like in real life).

I actually prefer more natural colors myself. This was just an experiment. I also did a B&W version that turned out alot better.

I really needed a reflector, or to use flash when I originally took the photo, but this was taken before I had the former, and I've learned alot since this was taken. (never, ever done learning though!)

What could I do to make her stand out more than the tree? Zoom out a little (or closer)? Cut more of the tree out?

I tend to be turned off by excessive post processing.

A handy litedisc + tripod makes for a good combo.

Find a tree with subdued bark.

Very nice catch, I agree with cropping a bit more of the tree out to give her more room in the shot. Lighten up under her eye a bit, and I think it will improve a lot for you!

Here's the "original"... well, I had to pull it off of Facebook, as I can't find the original. I like the colors in this version... For her final copy, I just increased colors a little bit.

148658_166647216700544_100000657991006_405955_6547833_n.jpg

I find that better than the originally posted shot ... though the tree still bugs me, but at least my eye went to the face first.

I think a smoother tree would've been better. This was my first "shoot" with an individual, done last year. There are so many things I wish I could change now. Lol.. Starting with... my cousin losing the make-up. She's so beautiful, and sometimes gets a little too heavy on it.

Most reactions

Back