Criticize my most recent photoshoot

Good to know your reliance on logical fallacies is alive and well.

And the idea is still cheesy. If there were any irony meant in the description, then sure I can see how it would work - however I think you meant that completely serious; you surely see where the cheesy and cliche label comes from. Its an advertisement for (one would presume) gender neutral snowboarding t-shirts, not a photograph for the Chi Delt's annual tits and ass calendar.

Good to know your reliance on logical fallacies is alive and well.

And the idea is still cheesy. If there were any irony meant in the description, then sure I can see how it would work - however I think you meant that completely serious; you surely see where the cheesy and cliche label comes from. Its an advertisement for (one would presume) gender neutral snowboarding t-shirts, not a photograph for the Chi Delt's annual tits and ass calendar.
So, once again, please tell the class how many years you've worked in advertising.

Sad that your response to criticism is still the same tired defensive posturing. Tsk.

In any case, I'm sure the OP (and most people in general) is wise enough - without having the benefit of these mythical "years in advertising" you've developed a Hard Johnson for - to recognize the ridiculousness of a tits and ass ad for a T-shirt company looking to sell product to the entire population.

I would also hope you do NOT have any advertising experience as such a suggestion would seem to indicate a total lack of understanding of your craft.

Sad that your response to criticism is still the same tired defensive posturing. Tsk.

In any case, I'm sure the OP (and most people in general) is wise enough - without having the benefit of these mythical "years in advertising" you've developed a Hard Johnson for - to recognize the ridiculousness of a tits and ass ad for a T-shirt company looking to sell product to the entire population.

I would also hope you do NOT have any advertising experience as such a suggestion would seem to indicate a total lack of understanding of your craft.

Ahh, more of your childish personal attacks. How ironic given your first post in this thread.

I would love to answer your taunts in the same childish manner, but I have something you lack - common sense.

Them'r some fightin' words!

hehe my bad for SLAMMING the ol' yanks, i was just doing what everyone else does. Sorry bout that - bit sheepish of me!
getting back to the image though, I cant help but ask why people who dont understand a culture would be so disrespectful towards it? YES snowboarding is different from skiing, and no just because they wear 'baggy trousers' this does not make them stupid ok?
and to then claim that you are giving advice from one business man to another (very noble) I would still ask why you would stick your ignorant face in the matter of clothing style instead of sticking to something you are actually aware of (or atleast claim to be aware of) which is photography yes? cool , great stuff.

so, I hate to get all defensive but I must ask those who are not aware of the meaning and even traditions within a given culture, to bite thier tongue and simply offer helpful advice. afterall, no one likes it when some dude from an un-important country somewhere outside of gods favoured land points out the blindingly obvious 'bad' traits of its culture and people. This is fair enough too, for what would an outsider truely know? now i know nothing about the land of the free and so i bite my tongue, I argue that you should do the same, be respectful and try to help out.

this dude has explained that he is starting out, so why would you openly mock and discourage the man who is trying to make something out of nothing, building from the ground up is how business works. while you are masturbating over your 9th canon lens he is actually trying to get something out there.

what i am trying to say is, if its bad, be constructive. it helps alot, afterall one is more likely to take advice from a considerate and fair man over a bitter man.

And how come you are so quick to jump on a guy in this instance, yet when someone posts an awful photo of some kid you all go "ooohhh nice TRYYY!! maybe try this and that then re post and we are happy to hold your hand alllll day long! xxoxoxox"

I mean c'mon, it has become obvious that a large portion of why you dislike the image is because of its content. This has happened on several occasions, you have let yourself become blinded by prejudice and as a result have come across as a bunch of... well frankly...Americans.

no no no that's unfair, Im sorry, more like a bunch of Nazis.

oh and one more thing, if read properly you will notice that the first post explains that the photographer is not the t-shirt designer. good on ya from 'slamming' him for that.

god speed and all that ****.

He asked for criticism and got it. Treatment of the subject is part of photography. Getting a proper job done is also part of photography. That picture, if published, especially as an ad, could be fatal to a business.
And, yes, wearing pants that way is only done by someone very stupid.
Check the advice of the great photographers. What makes a photograph is the subject. Content is everything.

Them'r some fightin' words!
Oh, that crazy ANDS! just loves a good flame war.

You see, my comments about the ad to pimp the t-shirts was actually made somewhat tongue in cheek. I wasn't being all that serious. But I knew if I suggested something like that, ANDS! absolutely couldn't resist making a snarky comment or two directed at me.

What cracks me up is the direction in which he took his rebuttal. He's actually saying that sex in advertising doesn't work or is the product of an inept advertising campaign.

Really? Such a notion is so amazingly ignorant it's staggering. Pretty women have been used throughout modern history to sell things, with great effectiveness. I thought he was kidding at first. While I know he's often argumentative just for the sake of being a jerk, I didn't think he was actually this out of touch with reality.

I mean, would someone use sex to sell a hand bag? Certainly not! How ignorant! Any advertising exec who would propose such a ludicrous concept should be fired for being inept at his craft!

That would be almost as bad as if someone used a pretty girl to advertise a computer product. What kind of moron would do that?

God only knows sex has never been used to sell clothing.

Seriously, it would be kind of like using a pretty girl to sell candy or something.

ANDS! couldn't resist making snarky comments about my profession when I never said anything about what I did for a living. I simply asked what experience he has in advertising that would qualify his opinion that using a pretty girl in an ad targeting 20-somethings was off base. His rebuttal was to attack me.

ANDS! is always good for a good chuckle, this one just happens to be better than most.

Oh crud inTempus---I just bought my wife a fancy new purse and a new Mac OS computer,and ordered a carton of Pez candy,thanks to those doggone links you just provided.

As far as my earlier post in the thread--I offered some advice, in the same vernacular and tone as the Arsenic dude was using. The shot of the guy standing on a white bed sheet, wearing a ski jacket, bibs, boots, and an oversized T was *awful*. If they are going to sell ski wear,and shoot advertising photos, they need to shoot the photos professionally. Or even semi-professionally!:lol:

To my Kiwi detractor and anti-American taunter--I did give the kid some advice. Namely, that the photo looked very amateurish, and he needs to THINK deeply, inside his head, and not go with the ideas just poppin' out of his dome. And he needs to have quality photos, or his two-man operation will indeed stay "small". It's very easy to shoot fashion shots outdoors on the slopes; the lighting is good, and there's plenty of fill light. Ski wear looks good shot on the slopes, but it looks like cvap when lighted with one eBay light plugged in and stuck near the subject.

There are probably five or six easy ways to approach the T-shirt market. A simple "pack shot", with the T-shirt shown flat on a white seamless sweep would look better than some horrible,atrocious shot of a kid standing on top of a coffee table with a bedsheet thrown over it...a cute girl wearing the shirt, a la Snorg Tees would be a winner...a handsome looking 20-something male model wearing the T-shirt while standing next to a cute girl who happens to be *looking at him* in a "good way" would make the orders come piling in--but the shot of a kid in a jacket,bibs,and boots, looking like a dork is a serious, grave mistake--a deadly poisonous advertising shot. Like Arsenic,bro.

You see, my comments about the ad to pimp the t-shirts was actually made somewhat tongue in cheek. I wasn't being all that serious. But I knew if I suggested something like that, ANDS! absolutely couldn't resist making a snarky comment or two directed at me.

So basically - your posting habit is dictacted by the response of others. Fabulous. And of COURSE you weren't being serious; how convenient for your crass, cliche, objectifying suggestion.

Sex sells everything... even Disney products.

They at least have the common sense to do it with some bit of subtlety. As soon as they start sending out Miley Cyrus in a t-back thong, then we can start worrying. Until then, sex/sensuality in advertising is not equivalent to simple minded T&A shots.

He's actually saying that sex in advertising doesn't work or is the product of an inept advertising campaign.

Only you are saying that kid. Your suggestion isn't sexy. It's a cheap go-to for someone without any ideas. Please though, continue to think otherwise - I'm sure you're going to go far. Most people I'm sure are possessed of enough common sense to recognize the difference between an edgy fashion shoot and a bloody T-shirt ad for local college students. If the OP was going for the crass, boorish T&A crowd then I'm sure his first choice wouldn't have been Mr. Sausage In My Pants to begin with; see those are the things one susses out when we actually READ.

I simply asked what experience he has in advertising that would qualify his opinion that using a pretty girl in an ad targeting 20-somethings was off base. His rebuttal was to attack me.

My rebuttal was actually to point out the, continued, use of a logical fallacy. But then you'd consider running into a red-light on a busy street a personal attack against yourself.

hehe my bad for SLAMMING the ol' yanks, i was just doing what everyone else does. Sorry bout that - bit sheepish of me!
getting back to the image though, I cant help but ask why people who dont understand a culture would be so disrespectful towards it? YES snowboarding is different from skiing, and no just because they wear 'baggy trousers' this does not make them stupid ok?
I like how you throw this "culture" thing around. I do like how you defend a culture that was borrowed from another group of people.
and to then claim that you are giving advice from one business man to another (very noble) I would still ask why you would stick your ignorant face in the matter of clothing style instead of sticking to something you are actually aware of (or atleast claim to be aware of) which is photography yes? cool , great stuff.
I wasn't offering advice on clothing style. The ONE design offered is pretty cool. The photo is very unflattering. Isn't that the constructive criticism the OP was looking for? On that, I wasn't sticking my "ignorant face" on the matter of clothing style. I was sticking my experienced face on something that I AM aware of, and that would be marketing. You are making the assumption that because I am on a photo forum, that that is all I know, or that is my business. Guess again.

I don't know why you are all defensive about this "culture" thing that YOU brought to the table in the first place, and then proceeded to put down others. Yeah, that's class, man. Try to remember to be above the very thing you abhor, or you come off as a hypocrite.

Can you go into detail about your knowledge of how business works? What actual experience do you have in starting a business?

I could offer a ton of constructive criticism from a business stand point but something tells me it would go unheard. Judging from your responses, you would be the first to turn a deaf ear.

Product photography is very different from artistic expression.
Plenty of advice was given in this thread. Don't know what more you want. I'd suggest the OP start browsing the web, and really look at fashion/apparel product photography, and compare his own images to what he sees proffessionally done, and then try to emulate what he sees.
A lot of learning can be done on ones own just by looking at the very thing one is trying to achieve.

Prejudice? Really? That's the card you are going to play in defense of a terrible fashion photograph? Name calling too?

This is epic fail, and you know it.
You ran out of ammunition and are reduced to scraping the bottom of the barrel to pull out Nazis? ROFLMFAO.

oh and one more thing, if read properly you will notice that the first post explains that the photographer is not the t-shirt designer. good on ya from 'slamming' him for that.
Who was knocking the T-shirt design? What was slammed was the website (which the OP volunteered the link) which states the entrepreneur has ideas "coming out the dome", yet only has one item for sale. From a business standpoint, you don't launch a site promoting ideas that have yet to come to fruition. You launch the site when you actually have a line of products to sell.

god speed and all that ****.
What do you know about God?

i know nothing of god, i dont study/follow things that have thier grounding in fairytales.

I do however agree with your points and thank you for pointing out how stupid I am. my goodness I had not considered the idea of someone not considering my arguments and just telling me im wrong.
However that IS the classic trait of the western god-fearing man so I should have guessed.

I have no problem with the Americans really, you fellas are just too easy to take pot shots at because you bite back so quick. I actually work with a few yanks and they are top fellows indeed.

I shall stop the argument, you can say its because i have no arguments left or something and Ill give you that satisfaction.

though i must say i was rather entertained by the use of "epic fail" and ROFLLAMNSO or whatever that was, you'd make quite a clown my good man.

oh and the nazi thing, well thats subjective and depends on your view of what the term nazi means. though the similarities between the american persecution of Islam and the german persecution of the jews are very ....scary. BUT history is written by the winners so as long as the brits and the yanks win in the mid-east we shall not need to make such a comparison. vietnam was bad enough.. but all that is another topic on some other forum.

back to photography!

oh wow i just noticed the comment about the way pants are worn and how that dictates a mans intellect. brilliant!
we all know from experience that the best way to judge a man is on appearance. rifleman - when's your next cross burning?

Oh wow. Did you just generalize the supposed American attitude on Islam (as if somehow we all take our cues from a single book) with the persecution of the jews (and others) in Nazi controlled Germany. Wow.

Up to this point I saw most others responses as reading too much into a joking poster - but with the childish potshot at organized religion and the "you'd make quite a clown" statement - I see you're totally convinced of your position and are quite serious. What is truly scary, is that your posts now read as the same tired "I'm a progressive student of history" impressionable just out of high-school atheists screeds.

Well done sir or madam. Well done.

Most reactions

Back