Criticize my most recent photoshoot

holy **** this thread is ****ed. lol

the op looks like he did a pretty decent job of shooting what would likely be considered low-budget advertising shot. it looks a bit homemade.
im not going to crit the style or the clothes or the "culture".
the shot is sub mediocre. as said before, the lighting is a bit flat, the pose needs improvement, and the setting leaves much to be desired.
i agree with intempus that you should take this shot outside...i wanna see the clothing in its element...blue skies, snowy mtn sides, boards, bindings, and yes...babes. grab a mtn dew and get out there and get EXTREME!

and as far as religion goes...i'd steer clear on the forum if you;d like to maintain your membership. jus' sayin'.

So basically - your posting habit is dictacted by the response of others. Fabulous. And of COURSE you weren't being serious; how convenient for your crass, cliche, objectifying suggestion.
You got the tables turned on you and now you're going to be snotty. How predictable.

They at least have the common sense to do it with some bit of subtlety. As soon as they start sending out Miley Cyrus in a t-back thong, then we can start worrying. Until then, sex/sensuality in advertising is not equivalent to simple minded T&A shots.
Your insistence that my suggestion was a "T&A" shot is funny. Let's take a closer look at the suggestion, shall we?

Put her in your shirt, outside with a thong bottom on. Use a strobe like a speedlite to get things looking bold and crisp. Come in tight on the shot, focusing not on her full body, but the upper half and the shirt. Put a crazy stocking cap or goggles on her to give it a snowboarding feel.
Now, he's obviously not selling belly button length shirts, the shirt pictured in the OP will hang well past the "A" on a model. I assume it will also cover her "T". I also say focus not on her whole body, but the upper half - you know, the face and well... the shirt. This really isn't all that suggestive, certainly not in the way you keep pretending it is. I don't know about you, but I don't personally find t-shirts to be particularly revealing.

Only you are saying that kid.
I'm 41, how old are you?

Your suggestion isn't sexy. It's a cheap go-to for someone without any ideas. Please though, continue to think otherwise - I'm sure you're going to go far.
Little ANDS! is all riled up and now he wants to play school yard bully. Well, the ugly truth is you play the school yard bully in just about every thread you pollute.

Am I going far? A lot further than you apparently. I see your bland little office cube in your Flickr port. You certainly look big time.

As for someone without ideas, that's funny. On Tuesday I'll be with the rest of the executive management team of my advertising agency at the client site in LA going over the ad campaign for their 2010 model year. This client is an auto manufacturer. Apparently I'm creative enough to warrant their retainer.

I can't wait to see what sophomoric comments you come up with regarding my job now. This should prove to be entertaining.

Most people I'm sure are possessed of enough common sense to recognize the difference between an edgy fashion shoot and a bloody T-shirt ad for local college students.
Judging by your port I would say you know little to nothing about fashion shoots.

If the OP was going for the crass, boorish T&A crowd then I'm sure his first choice wouldn't have been Mr. Sausage In My Pants to begin with; see those are the things one susses out when we actually READ.
For someone that thinks he's so amazingly literate, you certainly fumbled the ball reading my comments.

My rebuttal was actually to point out the, continued, use of a logical fallacy. But then you'd consider running into a red-light on a busy street a personal attack against yourself.
Logical fallacy... now THAT'S ironic coming from you.

:lol:

i agree with intempus that you should take this shot outside...i wanna see the clothing in its element...blue skies, snowy mtn sides, boards, bindings, and yes...babes. grab a mtn dew and get out there and get EXTREME!
Apparently you know the target demographic better than ANDS!, and anyone else who has been at that age. :D I mean, what 20-something who's into extreme sports would care about pretty girls? :)

My god but you're dense. See that there - that could be construed as a personal attack.

Your insistence that my suggestion was a "T&A" shot is funny. Let's take a closer look at the suggestion, shall we?

Your suggestion is empty-headed T&A for the sake of T&A. That "sexy" to you translates to a thong and a pretty girl, is sad without need for explanation.

Now, he's obviously not selling belly button length shirts, the shirt pictured in the OP will hang well past the "A" on a model. I assume it will also cover her "T". I also say focus not on her whole body, but the upper half - you know, the face and well... the shirt.

And yet you seem to think a thong is somehow the best way to osculate the idea of this company with the GENERAL public. Now if the thong isn't the point, why suggest it in the first place? Or did you forget what you were typing halfway through?

Am I going far? A lot further than you apparently. I see your bland little office cube in your Flickr port. You certainly look big time.

Big time for what? Going far where? Oh my this is getting good. It's sad how much you internalize these message boards. Is your self-esteem so low that every thread becomes a matter of pride to you? Are you so devoid of confidence that no small amount of criticism can be taken, and refuted, with a modicum of partiality on your part befitting a so-called "professional"? No. I didn't think so. That you would go so far as to troll through someones personal photographs for something - ANYTHING - to use as an insult speaks far greater about your failings than what you suppose are mine.

Logical fallacy... now THAT'S ironic coming from you.

Do you KNOW what a logical fallacy is? I'm genuinely asking. Because you realize an ad hominem attack (which you just did) is a fallacy, as well as your (supposed) appeal to authority (and the reverse, demanding someone demonstrate their own). Nevermind. Wasted on you old foggies.

My god but you're dense. See that there - that could be construed as a personal attack.
One of several.

Your suggestion is empty-headed T&A for the sake of T&A. That "sexy" to you translates to a thong and a pretty girl, is sad without need for explanation.
What's sad is that even when the obvious is explained you still don't get it.

And yet you seem to think a thong is somehow the best way to osculate the idea of this company with the GENERAL public. Now if the thong isn't the point, why suggest it in the first place? Or did you forget what you were typing halfway through?
A thong that's in essence invisible, covered by the t-shirt. You go from massive baggy pants (OP's pic) which are distracting to nothing but a pretty face and the item for sale - this shirt. And here I am, once again, explaining something you would *think* you would get the 3rd or 4th time around.

Is your self-esteem so low that every thread becomes a matter of pride to you? Are you so devoid of confidence that no small amount of criticism can be taken, and refuted, with a modicum of partiality on your part befitting a so-called "professional"? No. I didn't think so. That you would go so far as to troll through someones personal photographs for something - ANYTHING - to use as an insult speaks far greater about your failings than what you suppose are mine.
Touchy about how much of your personal life you put on the web? I found your office pics many moons ago when I first visited your Flickr profile. If you don't want it shared, well, don't share it. Is everyone insecure that visits your Flickr page? Until a moment ago, you were quite proud of it with your signature line and all. :lol:

Nevermind. Wasted on you old foggies.
I went from "kid" to an "old foggie". I guess something good comes from this latest insult... If nothing else, it proves you can at least glean something from the text you read.

Last edited:
I tend to agree that a pretty girl mostly naked bar a t-shirt would help in the selling of said t-shirt. Apparently advertisers have been using this little known fact to sell us consumers their wares for like 100 years.

Touchy about how much of your personal life you put on the web? I found your office pics many moons ago when I first visited your Flickr profile. If you don't want it shared, well, don't share it. Is everyone insecure that visits your Flickr page? Until a moment ago, you were quite proud of it with your signature line and all.

Oh dear. Way to take that and make it about me Kyle. If I didn't want it shared why would I have a huge ass banner in my sig linking to my personal Flickr page? Be aware, not everyone takes everything as a personal insult as you do. I am unsurprised however that you would miss the fact that you were being called out on the lameness of YOUR attempt at an insult - one which still has little meaning. I work/worked in an office. Heavens. With cubicles in them - why I never!

So congratulations, you didn't troll through it recently - you remembered it "moons" ago and so powerful was the image that it stayed with you. Why - I'm quite honored actually. Thank you.

A thong that's in essence invisible, covered by the t-shirt.

Great. Then why not just put her in a trash bag covered in banana peels and orange rhinds? Essentially serves the same purpose. To recap, you made the suggestion (the easy, trite and tired suggestion) to advertise "sexy" by taking the model outside and putting them in a snowboard/ski environment doing snowboard/ski-things. Of course that was what how many people already suggested to do - Oh wait. I forgot your tweak. Make it "sexy" - slap a thong on the ass of that lass - an INVISIBLE THONG!™ Fabulous. Ad campaign saved. Perhaps the reason you are reexplaining yourself, is because much of what you type is a meandering mess meant to maintain your ego on a message board?

Oh wow. Did you just generalize the supposed American attitude on Islam (as if somehow we all take our cues from a single book) with the persecution of the jews (and others) in Nazi controlled Germany. Wow.

Up to this point I saw most others responses as reading too much into a joking poster - but with the childish potshot at organized religion and the "you'd make quite a clown" statement - I see you're totally convinced of your position and are quite serious. What is truly scary, is that your posts now read as the same tired "I'm a progressive student of history" impressionable just out of high-school atheists screeds.

Well done sir or madam. Well done.

thankyou!!

ok, thanks everyone for the responses and taking the time to add their opinion (of which we are all entitled to!)

now can I please ask all those involved to give me verbal permission to use written statements, quoted as a part of my uni paper? you may not even feature but just in case. I am researching the effect that distance and relative safety and anonymity has on ones judgement when confronted with one who are in disagreement. The purpose is to discover if the anonymity of the net is a positive or negative thing for the progression of scoiety. my theory is that people feel safe enough to not only disagree, but to completely ignore other, conflicting ideas, thus making these sorts of internet discussions completey negative and almost unhealthy. Face to face one is more likely to, at the very least, listen.

anyway it goes deeper, im trying to to put unneccesarily egocentric philosophical vocab in here so as not to confuse the matter (and indeed, myself).

sorry to do it this way but if i told you this months ago no one would say how they really felt.

this current verbal fist-fight between ANDs and inTemp..something (sorry) is most revealing indeed! hope you guys are
able to get over the feeling of betrayal and allow me to quote you (in context ofcourse).
the constant attempts to 1up eachother is a psychological minefield! im sorry i really shouldnt say that, but it
is the internet and I can insult whomever i like correct?
NO! thats the point of this whole thing...

anyway, apologies to those who Ive upset, but as i said, you're American (JOKING! my final hurrah)

peace kids!

Last edited:
Oh dear. Way to take that and make it about me Kyle.
It wasn't hard, Bob. :lol:

If I didn't want it shared why would I have a huge ass banner in my sig linking to my personal Flickr page?
I was wondering the same thing.

Be aware, not everyone takes everything as a personal insult as you do.
Oh, it's just me. I've never seen you play similar games with anyone else on the board. I mean, just look at all the times you've been thanked by your fellow members in some 2k posts. Your snarky comments are always quite welcomed by your peers on the site, as we can clearly see.

Thank you.
You're quite welcome.

Great. Then why not just put her in a trash bag covered in banana peels and orange rhinds? Essentially serves the same purpose. To recap, you made the suggestion (the easy, trite and tired suggestion) to advertise "sexy" by taking the model outside and putting them in a snowboard/ski environment doing snowboard/ski-things. Of course that was what how many people already suggested to do - Oh wait. I forgot your tweak. Make it "sexy" - slap a thong on the ass of that lass - an INVISIBLE THONG!™ Fabulous. Ad campaign saved. Perhaps the reason you are reexplaining yourself, is because much of what you type is a meandering mess meant to maintain your ego on a message board?
I suspect you're only pretending to be this dense.

Let me try to explain this to you one more time.

We have an OP with a picture of a guy with baggy pants, huge ski jacket and lost somewhere in between a t-shirt he's trying to sell. There are too many distractions in his image to clearly convey, without words, what's being sold.

Solution: Isolate the product and put it in a savory light. Draw the viewer in and bring their attention to the product. You can accent this with a pretty face, as marketers often do. Open just about any print catalog and take a gander if you doubt this.

Now, the thong wasn't meant to be sexy as you keep pretending. It was meant to be neutral. That's why I said to focus on her upper half. The shirt would hang over it. What little you saw below the shirt would be legs - which are neutral and not distracting. Sexy? Perhaps, in a very subtle way. However, the focus would be on the shirt. As a side note, you did look at the shirt in the OP's pic, right? Just how much of a thong do you think you would see under a shirt that hangs to someones knees? LOL

Hopefully it sunk in this time, but I know it didn't. You're incapable of having a normal conversation. All you can do is pretend to be better than everyone else and to talk down to people. Even when cornered on your complete lack of marketing/advertising experience you continue to pretend you know more about it than a guy who's done it for 15+ years.

I haven't meandered all over the place. To the contrary I've remained quite consistent. You, on the other hand, are desperately looking for an angle to further attack my "concept"...

As for egos, :lol:. When is the last time you apologized for your part in one of these flame wars? When is the last time you admitted you were wrong about anything? You don't have it in you.

Let's not mention your frail little ego won't allow you give someone else the last word. When is the last time you walked away from a thread such as this without having the last word?

...and you want to talk about egos. :lol:

Pot, meet kettle.

Last edited:
On a final note, as ANDS! will continue this non-sense until the thread is locked, I'll further illustrate my point about ANDS!'s ego by making this my last post on the subject.

Who wants to bet ANDS! won't be able to resist urge of firing a parting shot? Will he be able to walk away? Or will his ego get the best of him?

Do you 2 think you're moving the original discussion forward? Your little flame wars should be taken to PMs and off the public forums. This kind of activity turns off a lot of people... especially newcomers.

You 2 don't like each other... we get it. Use the forums ignore feature. It works.

Do you 2 think you're moving the original discussion forward? Your little flame wars should be taken to PMs and off the public forums. This kind of activity turns off a lot of people... especially newcomers.

You 2 don't like each other... we get it. Use the forums ignore feature. It works.
Did you catch my last post?

Did you catch my last post?
Honestly, no... so, if you decided to end it, my bad. I've been disregarding these flame war post in my subscribed threads out of hand. I don't want to put you on ignore... I think your photography is very good. I'm just tired of wading through middle school fights just to see it.

Most reactions

Back