Criticize my most recent photoshoot

I wouldn't shop there and wouldn't let my kids either. If that guy got near my daughter.....well.....it wouldn't be pleasant.
That shot for advertising? The business would go broke with photography that bad and a worse image.
Tell him to pull his pants up, get rid of the shadow on his face.....too much to list for the time I have today.
BTW, we have family involved with a large, successful ski shop and they NEVER would use an image like that. Their models look good.

The photograph is poor on a number of levels:
  • lighting
  • set
  • composition
  • overexposure
  • poor focus
  • choice of model
  • model's wardrobe
  • camera angle/height

You might want to look into optimizing your website as well, www.bryanthughesphotography.com took forever to load, so I clicked away.
Also, I can't can't web address that are 100 letters long and have a bunch of words mashed together. To me it looks like it says www. Bryan Thug, He's Photography .com.

Hey so I posted yesterday about getting tips on using hotlights for a photoshoot portrait and here is the results!

I did a shoot for an up and coming ski apparel company based in Burlington Vermont and now moving out west to Boulder Colorado. Feel free to check out their site AR§ENIC APPAREL 09|10 - Home as these pictures are for their new product line that is going up for preorders within the next few days.

Cheers!

This is a joke, right?

hehe my bad for SLAMMING the ol' yanks, i was just doing what everyone else does. Sorry bout that - bit sheepish of me!
getting back to the image though, I cant help but ask why people who dont understand a culture would be so disrespectful towards it? YES snowboarding is different from skiing, and no just because they wear 'baggy trousers' this does not make them stupid ok?
and to then claim that you are giving advice from one business man to another (very noble) I would still ask why you would stick your ignorant face in the matter of clothing style instead of sticking to something you are actually aware of (or atleast claim to be aware of) which is photography yes? cool , great stuff.

so, I hate to get all defensive but I must ask those who are not aware of the meaning and even traditions within a given culture, to bite thier tongue and simply offer helpful advice. afterall, no one likes it when some dude from an un-important country somewhere outside of gods favoured land points out the blindingly obvious 'bad' traits of its culture and people. This is fair enough too, for what would an outsider truely know? now i know nothing about the land of the free and so i bite my tongue, I argue that you should do the same, be respectful and try to help out.

this dude has explained that he is starting out, so why would you openly mock and discourage the man who is trying to make something out of nothing, building from the ground up is how business works. while you are masturbating over your 9th canon lens he is actually trying to get something out there.

what i am trying to say is, if its bad, be constructive. it helps alot, afterall one is more likely to take advice from a considerate and fair man over a bitter man.

And how come you are so quick to jump on a guy in this instance, yet when someone posts an awful photo of some kid you all go "ooohhh nice TRYYY!! maybe try this and that then re post and we are happy to hold your hand alllll day long! xxoxoxox"

I mean c'mon, it has become obvious that a large portion of why you dislike the image is because of its content. This has happened on several occasions, you have let yourself become blinded by prejudice and as a result have come across as a bunch of... well frankly...Americans.

no no no that's unfair, Im sorry, more like a bunch of Nazis.

oh and one more thing, if read properly you will notice that the first post explains that the photographer is not the t-shirt designer. good on ya from 'slamming' him for that.

god speed and all that ****.

Listen man the lighting is s**t it should be a lot softer and come from a lot higher I f I were you I'd let god do the difficult bit and shoot outside on a big boulder or something.

There is nothing in this picture that would sell the target product- t-shirts. The subject looks like he's about to get his ass kicked outside the Apollo Theater for dressing like that.

hehe my bad for SLAMMING the ol' yanks, i was just doing what everyone else does. Sorry bout that - bit sheepish of me!
getting back to the image though, I cant help but ask why people who dont understand a culture would be so disrespectful towards it? YES snowboarding is different from skiing, and no just because they wear 'baggy trousers' this does not make them stupid ok?
and to then claim that you are giving advice from one business man to another (very noble) I would still ask why you would stick your ignorant face in the matter of clothing style instead of sticking to something you are actually aware of (or atleast claim to be aware of) which is photography yes? cool , great stuff.

so, I hate to get all defensive but I must ask those who are not aware of the meaning and even traditions within a given culture, to bite thier tongue and simply offer helpful advice. afterall, no one likes it when some dude from an un-important country somewhere outside of gods favoured land points out the blindingly obvious 'bad' traits of its culture and people. This is fair enough too, for what would an outsider truely know? now i know nothing about the land of the free and so i bite my tongue, I argue that you should do the same, be respectful and try to help out.

this dude has explained that he is starting out, so why would you openly mock and discourage the man who is trying to make something out of nothing, building from the ground up is how business works. while you are masturbating over your 9th canon lens he is actually trying to get something out there.

what i am trying to say is, if its bad, be constructive. it helps alot, afterall one is more likely to take advice from a considerate and fair man over a bitter man.

And how come you are so quick to jump on a guy in this instance, yet when someone posts an awful photo of some kid you all go "ooohhh nice TRYYY!! maybe try this and that then re post and we are happy to hold your hand alllll day long! xxoxoxox"

I mean c'mon, it has become obvious that a large portion of why you dislike the image is because of its content. This has happened on several occasions, you have let yourself become blinded by prejudice and as a result have come across as a bunch of... well frankly...Americans.

oh and one more thing, if read properly you will notice that the first post explains that the photographer is not the t-shirt designer. good on ya from 'slamming' him for that.

I'm a snowboarder and quite aware of the culture. Most snowboarders don't talk around with 4XL jackets and pants touching their knees when they're the size of a crackhead. My gear is a bit baggy but that's where most people leave it. I just think overall it's a bad picture. Bad lighting, bad model, bad choice of clothing yes overdoing this so called culture that you know so much about. If you're advertising a shirt I recommend maybe just the boarding pants of some jeans and the shirt. Loose the jacket and all the other crap that completely gets people lost and they don't even know what your product is because you don't make everything he's wearing just the shirt.
tj

I like how you throw this "culture" thing around. I do like how you defend a culture that was borrowed from another group of people.
I wasn't offering advice on clothing style. The ONE design offered is pretty cool. The photo is very unflattering. Isn't that the constructive criticism the OP was looking for? On that, I wasn't sticking my "ignorant face" on the matter of clothing style. I was sticking my experienced face on something that I AM aware of, and that would be marketing. You are making the assumption that because I am on a photo forum, that that is all I know, or that is my business. Guess again.

I don't know why you are all defensive about this "culture" thing that YOU brought to the table in the first place, and then proceeded to put down others. Yeah, that's class, man. Try to remember to be above the very thing you abhor, or you come off as a hypocrite.

Can you go into detail about your knowledge of how business works? What actual experience do you have in starting a business?

I could offer a ton of constructive criticism from a business stand point but something tells me it would go unheard. Judging from your responses, you would be the first to turn a deaf ear.

Product photography is very different from artistic expression.
Plenty of advice was given in this thread. Don't know what more you want. I'd suggest the OP start browsing the web, and really look at fashion/apparel product photography, and compare his own images to what he sees proffessionally done, and then try to emulate what he sees.
A lot of learning can be done on ones own just by looking at the very thing one is trying to achieve.

Prejudice? Really? That's the card you are going to play in defense of a terrible fashion photograph? Name calling too?

This is epic fail, and you know it.
You ran out of ammunition and are reduced to scraping the bottom of the barrel to pull out Nazis? ROFLMFAO.

Who was knocking the T-shirt design? What was slammed was the website (which the OP volunteered the link) which states the entrepreneur has ideas "coming out the dome", yet only has one item for sale. From a business standpoint, you don't launch a site promoting ideas that have yet to come to fruition. You launch the site when you actually have a line of products to sell.

What do you know about God?

Wow. Some of you are quite a bit ridiculous. Small wonder the OP hasn't revisted this thread. Where are the mods to clean up nonsense when you need them?

OP, if you even care to wade through the miasma of bull**** and ego-stroking to get to this point. . .don't. You already got the best advice within the first couple of posts. Take the model OUTSIDE, and place them within the context of the product's intended audience. Also the model is quite obviously NOT a model, so don't have him (or her if there are hers available) try to act like one. I find people who don't know how to model clothes do better when they aren't modeling, but rather acting goofy or bringing their own character to a photo-"scene" - do that here. Get some of his buddies, put them in the clothing and let them go loose.

And on to the clothing. From this photograph, I don't know what your company actually sells: the t-shirt, the cap, the jacket? The t-shirt is lost in the mountain of clothing. You obviously have access to slopes and what not, so take a brave soldier there, put him in nothing but jeans and the t-shirts and have him do some I dunno, kids on snowboard type moves - accentuate the t-shirt alone: "Snowboard. Arsenic Apparel. What else do you need?" - or something like that. You guys are college kids surely you can come up with something cheeky like that.

Get an account on Model Mayhem. Find a pretty model willing to word for a tear sheet/trade. Put her in your shirt, outside with a thong bottom on. Use a strobe like a speedlite to get things looking bold and crisp. Come in tight on the shot, focusing not on her full body, but the upper half and the shirt. Put a crazy stocking cap or goggles on her to give it a snowboarding feel.

Looking at the pic I would have no idea what part of the clothing he's wearing is your product. Coat? Pants? Or the shirt? Well, I know it's the shirt but the point is that it would be lost on the viewer. Isolate the shirt and put it on someone pretty... you know, like most other advertisements in this world. :)

Well that would be a wonderful way to alienate half the buying populace. . .not to mention being cliche and cheesy.

Well that would be a wonderful way to alienate half the buying populace. . .not to mention being cliche and cheesy.
You've been working in advertising for how many years now?

That's what I thought.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back