Adding to my D3100

wellbeloved747

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive had my d3100 for a month or so now and have got to learn to use it and i now know after using it what i need to add to my kit. its my birthday this wednesday so i am looking to buy the stuff with the money.

so far I've been using a bog standard D3100 with the basic 18-55mm lens and a 4gb sd card.
i have never really took any sort of scenic or macro shots and i don't think i will for a few years to come i am very must a action shooter that requirers a fair bit of zoom.

LENS- since having my camera i was luckily enough to go to the armed forces day and to the royal inter nation air tattoo both events saw fast moving aircraft high in the sky. it was great as it gave me an opportunity to get to learn how to use my camera, but i am afraid a 18-55mm lens was far from perfect in these conditions. so i need a longer lens. my Pilot office worked in jessops and had a d300 with a 70-200 and he let me use it and it was incredible i got a few really good shots. i have had a look and have decided on the 55-300 lens as currently i have a 42-200 for my lumix and i want 300 as i do shoot a lot of aircraft photos. my mum has already agreed to get it for me a a birthday present. but i thought i would have a look at some reviews on youtube. the main idea was the lens its self for what t is is good it is well made, and good value but as a lens on the market it is very very bad as the glass isn't anything special as it is just a kit lens. so what do i do? should i get it? or can you recommend a better lens around the same focal length for under £300??

Battery- when i was away at the Royal inter nation air tattoo (riat) i was camping and plug sockets were scarce so my camera died on me within a day and i couldn't recharge it till the following day and this happened many times:grumpy:. my pilot officer had a battery pack and his camera lasted all week. so now i am home it has to be one of the first thing i get as i am always camping or away. i thought if i get a third party one with 2 third party batteries i could use that then when that goes put the original battery in the camera. i have seen this one on ebay and was wondering if it is any good.

Battery Grip D3100 D5100 +2x EN-EL14 battery + IR Remote for Nikon | eBay

STRAP-this was a pet hate before i even got the camera as i hate nikon straps as when your camera has a bit of weight to it the strap just cuts its way into your neck. so i have an old neoprene one which i have been using which makes it more comfortable but its my dads and he wants it back. i was looking to get a cheap one of ebay that is neoprene. but then thought i should get a decent one as i will always be wearing it. i stumbled across the black rapid website and said that looks good. i know it is a fair bit for a strap but it does look good. i was thinking of getting one but wanted to know what they are like are their and downfalls compared to a tradition one and how do they cope in crowded areas.

Protection- being a clumsy teenager i know i will drop my camera and i all ready have so i want just a little protection from scratches. i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a silicone cover i found the one below and was wondering if its any good.

* Silicone Skin bag Camera Cover Protector For Nikon D3100 | eBay

BAG- this is you cameras best thing and the right one can make you shoot better and stress free. i am not rushing into buying this and have had a look at loads. my dad prefers the over the shoulder style as the can quickly take it of. i think i will prefer a rucksack as i wear them to school and everywhere really. there are 3 that have really jumped at me these are the lowepro slingshot AW, lowepro fastback and the fancier kinking. i am wondering if anyone could recommend which one is best. i am looking for one that also has an area that i can put some of my stuff for when i am traveling like iPod, over ear headphones and a drink. it would also be good if it could fit an iPad.

Rain Cover- i always seem to shoot in the rain for some reason. and i thought i burt out the camera one as it smelt like it was on fire. so i need some rain protection. i always look at what other people use. I've seen people use the plastic bags that go over your lens. but i recently saw a think tank bag that completely weatherproofed the camera. does anyone know of cases like these.

Flash- i don't really my flash a lot but sometime i do i was looking to get a basic flash. i don't want to bay sb-900 prices and not sb-600 either i want something for around £35-£40 that will satisfy me. i looked at a ring flash. at they were quite cheap or would i be better just getting a basic flash gun from a camera shop.

Monopod- i picked up a basic hama mono's and its good for £10 but i am after the same sort of design but stronger i ideally want a carbon one with a removable shoe to go in your camera. and not to expensive. any body know of any?

these are the main things i need for my camera at the moment. i will expand in the future. if anybody know of any websites that will be useful to me i am happy to hear of them or any companies like black rapid that produce some really high quality products. but are not in every shop.

thanks for taking the time to read of of this.
if only i could write this much in my english exam:lol:

Thanks

Matt

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back