Critique My First Photo

Because it's a nice picture and I think the lady will like it.

Dang, if this is your first-ever portrait, you're gonna pass all of us up in no time.

Good work.

I think it would have been nice to add just the TINIEST bit of hair light, and keep your original crop.

I wonder what this was shot with?
You know it's not. No one does this on their first-ever try.

Also, data are included in the image: Canon EOS REBEL T3 | 34mm F4.5 1/25 ISO3200

Dang, if this is your first-ever portrait, you're gonna pass all of us up in no time.
He might have studied up on how to do portrait photography. It could happen.

When I downloaded this to try my own idea for a crop I noticed that when I look at it in PSE11 I can clearly see the back of her head, neck and shoulders whereas in the TPF post #1 you can't make them out. With that being said, the original crop, where you can see the curve of her back, makes much more sense and doesn't have all that negative space. Not sure why the first post doesn't have the detail from the actual photo??? After seeing the photo in PSE11, I would change the crop to a 5X7 instead of the original 4X6. In trying to upload my crop to the forum I see the detail on the right is once again not showing up on TPF so I removed it.

More importantly, the OP is FOS. This photo was taken July 18, 2015.

@SquarePeg , maybe some setting in your editor? When I download the image, it looks pretty much the same as it does here (I can see the back of her head, neck and shoulders too). Also some loss of quality occurs if you're viewing the image scaled down and not in full size.

Maybe. It's moot, IMO, unless/until the OP addresses the question on whether or not the post is a troll for attention using someone else's photo. I don't see a 16 year old taking this photo 2 years ago and not as anyone's first photo either so the original post and/or OP's account is likely full of lies and not worth responding to any longer.

I really like it, but the noise was distracting (to me). 3200 is pretty high ISO for the T3i sensor.
Here is some fidgeting around with it...
IMG_1608 #2_dxo-jpg.jpg

When I downloaded this to try my own idea for a crop I noticed that when I look at it in PSE11 I can clearly see the back of her head, neck and shoulders whereas in the TPF post #1 you can't make them out.

I've noticed this myself on some of my posts. Even linking to Flickr, the detail in the shadows is sadly lacking on images posted to TPF vs my screen. I know FB is really bad about compressing images, but apparently there's something in TPF that is as well.

When I downloaded this to try my own idea for a crop I noticed that when I look at it in PSE11 I can clearly see the back of her head, neck and shoulders whereas in the TPF post #1 you can't make them out. With that being said, the original crop, where you can see the curve of her back, makes much more sense and doesn't have all that negative space. Not sure why the first post doesn't have the detail from the actual photo??? After seeing the photo in PSE11, I would change the crop to a 5X7 instead of the original 4X6. In trying to upload my crop to the forum I see the detail on the right is once again not showing up on TPF so I removed it.

More importantly, the OP is FOS. This photo was taken July 18, 2015.

Busted. I have seen this image before, I thought on here but not sure. It was some time ago, I remembered it because it reminded me of my sister (uncanny really) and those all black silhouette things we did in high school.

Strange. OP, can you help us with this mystery?

They technically didn't specify that it was presently their first photo, just that it is in fact their first photo. Either way, who cares if they're lying? If I post my first photo the exif would say 2010.

They technically didn't specify that it was presently their first photo, just that it is in fact their first photo. Either way, who cares if they're lying? If I post my first photo the exif would say 2010.
They did but changed the original post after someone called them out on the exif.
I read it early this morning prior to change.

They did but changed the original post after someone called them out on the exif.

The original 2 posts by the OP have no editing history - they are unchanged since they were first posted. Least according to the site software. In fact in 3 pages the OP hasn't said anything since the first two posts.

The original 2 posts by the OP have no editing history - they are unchanged since they were first posted. Least according to the site software. In fact in 3 pages the OP hasn't said anything since the first two posts.
Strange. I must be losing my mind then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back