ldawson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a new photographer and i really need some constructive criticism
IMG_1608 #2.jpg
Please feel free to give tips and tricks so I can improve. FIRE AWAY

I think it's a strong portrait, although I would definitely crop much of the dark space on the right side of the frame. I'd be curious to see a square crop.

I think it's a strong portrait, although I would definitely crop much of the dark space on the right side of the frame. I'd be curious to see a square crop.

something along the lines of this?

Attachments

• IMG_1608 #2 (2).jpg
    IMG_1608 #2 (2).jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 254
Very nicely done. I really like the lighting here, and Limr's recommendation for the square crop is spot on.

something along the lines of this?

Yes, I think that works better. The negative space behind her head in the original didn't seem to serve much purpose.

Welcome to the forums, I really like the image, agree with Limr's feedback too :)

I am a new photographer and i really need some constructive criticism Please feel free to give tips and tricks so I can improve. FIRE AWAY
Unless, of course, she has a stylish hairdo. In which case, you need that extra space, and a "hair light". Since a hair light is a specifically calibrated and aimed light, it might detract somewhat from the mood of this shot.

At any rate; what this shot needs is some separation between your model and the background, and you can do that by hinting at some faint light on the back of her head. Or a rim light on the back of her head.

Anyway, you can keep the mood by cropping a lot of the right edge, such as you did in the square crop. The problem with your version of the square crop is that you've actually cropped into the back of her head, which is disconcerting to a viewer. We know the sizes and proportions of a human head, and you've indicated that this young lady might have some physical deformity causing an abbreviated head shape.

Here's my version:

I brought the shadows up a bit so we could see the shape of her head, and then cropped to (almost) square putting her eye on the "thirds". I liked the bit of light on her neck, so I wanted to keep all the neck I could get. That left me with a not-quite square crop.

IMG_1608 #2 - Version 2.jpg

Really like this and the concept. I like the darker version with your square crop, but I think I prefer Designer's edit.

I don't necessarily disagree with Designer's reasons or edit, but for me, it just makes it an entirely different kind of portrait.

I would like this portrait as much if it had a backlight, I like the lighting in this a lot! And the square crop is spot on!
Great work, and welcome to TPF!!! :)

I am a new photographer and i really need some constructive criticism Please feel free to give tips and tricks so I can improve. FIRE AWAY
Unless, of course, she has a stylish hairdo. In which case, you need that extra space, and a "hair light". Since a hair light is a specifically calibrated and aimed light, it might detract somewhat from the mood of this shot.

At any rate; what this shot needs is some separation between your model and the background, and you can do that by hinting at some faint light on the back of her head. Or a rim light on the back of her head.

Anyway, you can keep the mood by cropping a lot of the right edge, such as you did in the square crop. The problem with your version of the square crop is that you've actually cropped into the back of her head, which is disconcerting to a viewer. We know the sizes and proportions of a human head, and you've indicated that this young lady might have some physical deformity causing an abbreviated head shape.

Here's my version:

I brought the shadows up a bit so we could see the shape of her head, and then cropped to (almost) square putting her eye on the "thirds". I liked the bit of light on her neck, so I wanted to keep all the neck I could get. That left me with a not-quite square crop.

View attachment 148928

Mmmmm...the subject is past the middle of the frame. Don’t cate for that composition at all. I agree with the comment about separation but the biggest problem is that the main light is too high. A little lower would have resulted in a better catchlight in the eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the lighting too! Window light?

Dang, if this is your first-ever portrait, you're gonna pass all of us up in no time.

Good work.

I think it would have been nice to add just the TINIEST bit of hair light, and keep your original crop.

I wonder what this was shot with?

Last edited:
Strong composition, yet I do not think she will be very happy with it because: light that illuminates a surface in a very flat angle will bring out the surface structure prominently. Great for wood not so great for skin that has the slightest unevenness.

+1 for Leonore's 1:1

Did an edit and had trouble with JPEG Artifacts in the file I could not get rid of. So I chose to cover the artifacts with artificial noise...

edit_IMG_1608 #2.jpg

Last edited:
@DGMPhotography It is nice if you say, why you disagree for all of us to learn...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back