Critique of a few photos

Brutus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I had another thread on my first set of photos, but that far too broad. Here are a few of my pictures that I'd like some opinions on:

2791405498_05145415a2_b.jpg

2787944953_f4bc9f932d_b.jpg

2788713390_f7d36b36f5_b.jpg

2788676844_060399b1ff_b.jpg

2787818395_7ff208e43e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Very hard to view when they're spread horizontally like that. In future, could you post them vertically (That is, one above the other, with a couple of blank lines between them) and as well number them?

Overall the subject matter (Except for #4 - can't quite figure that one out) looks nice, but all have exposure issues. #2 and 3 have very dark mid-ground regions as a result of the metering compenstating for the sun, and #5 is at least one stop under-exposed overall.

If this is the sort of work that interests you, and it would appear you have an eye for it, you're going to need to pick up some graduated ND filters to help reduce the brightness from your skies, as well as a circular polarizer.

How are you metering these scenes?

I agree, you've got a good start. You seem to be underexposed. Number 2 comes pretty close with fairly good detail in the clouds and the grass, but could stand for a little longer exposure.

I am curious though about number 4. What is it? Is it intended to be an abstract photo?

Ohh, I do see a feather. If you're right, I was totally in the wrong realm of thinking. All I could see were those flat hard drive wires on the inside of computer cases.

I didn't notice they were formatted like that, I've fixed it. If anyone used numbers in your post, could you possibly go back and change it to make sure it's referencing the right picture?

Yes, they would be good for HDR, but I didn't have a tripod with me at the time so I couldn't really have done that. I wasn't using anything for metering, I was simply adjusting the settings on the camera until it looked good in the LCD. These were taken on a trip, and it was the first time I'd really tried taking photographs that were more than your friend in front of something with people walking through the background. I used a Canon S1 for all of these (except for the feather), but I'm getting an S5 in October, so I'll pick up the filters mentioned at that time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back