critique please.

Robp412

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
kindacool005-1.jpg

I'm not to sure about this yet...
I don't have a macro this was as close as I could get...

I'd really appreciate something. This is my first one on here.

Geez, relax. Your image was only up for half an hour. Some of us have to eat breakfast!
The first comment I'll make is that you have a lot of dirt on your sensor. You should definitely clean that, but if you're unable to, 'tidy' up those spots before posting.
Overall, the image isn't bad. It's a nice central composition, which I like for this type of subject; the rule of thirds doesn't apply in all situations. The colours appear just a bit off to me (although that may be my work monitor) and it's slightly under-exposed.
Given that you didn't have a macro lens, the background isn't bad; I understand you have to be stopped down to get all of the bloom in focus.
I would clone out the bright spot on the one stamen lower-left, as well as the dust/pollen on the petal aimed at the upper RH corner.
Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.
~John

I like it. Make sure you try different angles and stuff. I find the most interesting macro type shots tend to be taken from the flowers' level or some other position that people wouldn't normally see.

If you want a cheap alternative to a macro lens, I just recently bought a Kenko extension tube set. Its pretty awesome for shortening that minimum focus distance.

Macro lens, please.

Tools for the job...tools for the job.

Good image, Could be a bit brighter I think. You can do this in the computer pretty easily. Would enhance the colors at the same time.

To me it is actually a little safe, meaning you could try rotating it a bit so its not so "level". Just something to try. :wink:

most of the things I would have commented on have already been said. I really have to agree with the under exposure here though. I personally really like bright vibrant colors when looking at close up shots like this. I mean thats kinda why you take them right? I think with the lens you had to work with, you did a very good job.

I appreciate everyone's input.
I have to wait to get a job to buy a macro lens but I'm super excited to do so.
So again thank you everyone I'll continue to work on improvement.
-Rob

Forget the exposure issues here and work on them elsewhere w/ an appropriate subject that your lens is suited for. You're just not going to get that shot w/o a macro lens, and good macro shooting draws heavily on technical concepts that are probably best-learned in the non-macro world. Like I said, tools for the job. Master the ones you have before you set out to conquer others. As a beginner, if you have too many shooting styles on your plate it's far too easy to get your wires crossed. Baby steps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back