TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just needing a bit of advice. Taken with canon eos 450D

Attachments

• $image-2583459868.jpg
    $image-2583459868.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 116
Hi and welcome..

I like the photo but I think it is kind of dark overall on my screen. I can see minimal details in the subject face (especially the eyes) and the rocks..

Keep on posting t he good work :)

Nice idea, great 'scene'

It is so dark that, not only are many of the interesting details of the rock obscured but her hair is a total detail-less blob.
Her eyes are almost indistinguishable in the shadow of her hair.
I assume that the soft-focus is a choice but it is so soft that her features just melt away. Her face is a little too rounded to be able to carry this off, I think.
She's pretty but too cuddly young.

There is a lot of space left around her, much too much I think and it could bear trimming.
Lastly, her leg thrown across like that looks large and awkward and the large blown out highlight really pulls the eye.

Lew

$image-2583459868llll.jpg

I'm wondering why it was posted in:

> Photography Equipment and Products
General discussions for all Camera Gear, Camera Equipment, Camera products and more. Talk about the latest photographic headlines and read - or give - product reviews. Also get advice on what equipment to purchase and get opinions from others about various products. <

So I moved it for you to the People Photography forum in TPF's - Photo Galleries - Photos submitted by members for general display or critique&#8203; - section.

I like the image... It has an artsy appeal to it. All the shadows that (most) people complain about is what gives it that artsy feel... the lighting separates her from the background, and you are drawn in to find whats hidden in the shadows. it's mysterious, it's intriguing, and it's one of those images you can frame and display regardless of being the model or the photographer.

however... up close the soft focus doesn't so much work for me. Maybe in full resolution I would change my mind. soft focus is like that... I have to see the final print to decide if I really like it.

I have a similar image I bought for $1 at a flea market... it was a b&w print 45deg rotated in square format w/ a 3/8" white border.

I burned the border back irregularly with a lighter, surface glued it to (two different sized, square, layers of) foamcore leaving the burnt fringes curled up, and hung it as a diamond shape.

But what kind of advice were you LOOKING for?

Last edited:
I like the image a lot ....has a nice look to it....I could clean it up some so if you shot this raw you might have enough to work with.

View attachment 28310

I rather like the original better... the shadows are part of the appeal. Bringing out the details in the rocks distracts from the girl as the subject.

I don't mind the dark face for this moody shot, but the thigh and arm camera right are way too bright and catch my eye first before I see anything else. I would pull the exposure down in those 2 areas and mask the rest of the scene back in.

You can have shadows to set mood to create drama...without losing detail. This photo does not exhibit such, as already stated, too many things are lost that would add to the photo and the mood. It's not a matter of preference over dark/light images for mood as much as it was not executed well.

Thankyou so much for all the feedback.

This photo was from my first outdoor shoot about two years ago when I was studying photography in high school. I'm starting photography at university next year and was just interested on how my first photos measured up.

Most reactions

Back