Critique wanted

MrMbss1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently bought a cheap tripod from Ebay which I've been trying out today. I've had it for a while now, but never gotten around to actually use it.
I'd like some critique on the motive and the edit I've made in Lightroom.

Canon 50D, 28-105mm lens

Original
Original.jpg

Edited
Shoped.jpg

I would also really like some tips on how to avoid chromatic abbreviation, and/or how to fix it in software

Last edited:
I'd probably crop it a bit closer, but it's not exactly a science and really depends on what you want to show your viewers.
Shoped.jpg

Removing CA is pretty easy to fix in Lightroom, go to lens correction in the developer mode, and click on the color tab and you'll find the option to remove CA there. This should be enough to get you started, if you need step by step info, just google the steps or look it up in youtube, tons of information is available.

I'd probably crop it a bit closer, but it's not exactly a science and really depends on what you want to show your viewers.
View attachment 109159

Removing CA is pretty easy to fix in Lightroom, go to lens correction in the developer mode, and click on the color tab and you'll find the option to remove CA there. This should be enough to get you started, if you need step by step info, just google the steps or look it up in youtube, tons of information is available.

For some reason I've completely forgot about cropping, thanks for the wake up call.

I'll look into the CA fixing in Lightroom, thank you once again.

CA tends to be most prevelant in areas of high contrast; a white shirting meeting black trousers, and in direct sun. Changing your shooting angle slightly, using your hand to shade your lens hood, and looking for shaded areas will all help reduce the appearance of CA in-camera.

CA tends to be most prevelant in areas of high contrast; a white shirting meeting black trousers, and in direct sun. Changing your shooting angle slightly, using your hand to shade your lens hood, and looking for shaded areas will all help reduce the appearance of CA in-camera.
To add to what John said, not shooting wide open will also help a lot.

To add to what John said, not shooting wide open will also help a lot.
:lol: Yeah, leave it to me to forget the easy stuff!

Thanks! Will try to remember everything you say.

I LIKE the significantly tighter crop that Raj offered up--much better, IMHO. Chromatic aberration is usually worst with a lens shot wide-open or one f/stop lcosed down, and about three or four stops down from wide-open, most good lenses have reasonably low CA, even with challenging subjects. Chromatic aberration can be reduced in Lightroom. It's down there a ways down in the normally closed sub-panels.

I LIKE the significantly tighter crop that Raj offered up--much better, IMHO. Chromatic aberration is usually worst with a lens shot wide-open or one f/stop lcosed down, and about three or four stops down from wide-open, most good lenses have reasonably low CA, even with challenging subjects. Chromatic aberration can be reduced in Lightroom. It's down there a ways down in the normally closed sub-panels.
So do I, and it actually lead me to start cropping some of my photos myself. Never thought of how much it actually affects the picture and what it tells the reader. The lens I'm using is almost as old as the camera I'm using which is about 7-8 years now. Most of the time it's just been hidden away in my uncles drawer until I bought it from him pretty cheaply. Would like to invest in a 35mm at some point soon

Most reactions

Back