What's new

Cropping for Prints?

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
883
Reaction score
13
Location
Buffalo NY
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I know you have to crop special for 8x10 and 5x7, but what about wallet sizes?

Also, i am giving them a cd with the shots on it. should i include the full image and then ones cropped for different sizes?

thanks
 
You may find different sized called 'wallet size' but I think that 2.5" x 3.5" inches is common.

I have sometimes give clients different sized files, but I think it's easier to just give them the regular 2:3 images and explain the different sized crops.
 
this is all new to me lol.

so when i have the image in photoshop, do i have to crop them for specific sizes? i dont want things to get cut off. im not sure how the wallet would work. could they just shrink the 8x10 down?
 
When using the crop tool in photoshop just enter 2.5 x 3.5 up on the top bar and it wont let you expand the it any further then that
 
ok so it has to be cropped for a wallet size then?
 
It depends on the dimensions but the aspect ratio is different for 8x10 and 2.5x3.5 so yes you would need a different crop.
 
ok is there an easier way to do this? lol right now i am editing them (moving my logo) around to fit the crop) then cropping and saving it. then cropping it again and so on
 
Why would you put your logo on images you are getting printed?

And I don't see what you could do to make it easier.
 
she wanted me to lol idk. i have seen a lot of senior pics with a small logo in the corner too. and 5x7 is the same ratio at 2.5x3.5 so that answers my question
 
Imo go to a local printer and talk to them, whenever I have major problems with prints that is the first place I go. Even if you think you have a good understanding, it doesn't hurt to talk to someone who does nothing but deal with what you are having problems with :)
 
i remember them saying they dont do 8x10. only 8.5x11. but i dont want that lol. theres a few places in town im gonna go to tomorrow
 
8.5x11? That's the size of US paper lol
 
Um on a side note. When you resize in photoshop make sure you unclick the box that says constrain or whatev because when you type in a number if you dont it will automatically change the other size to proportion and its frustrating. O and I wouldnt spend the time to resize em just give em the jpegs and let em deal with it like big mike said. I think he does a lot of paid work like weddings and stuff like that so I trust em.
 
For online galleries for my family, I cropped all images to 5x7 and then had to only slightly crop for 8x10 after that.

I'd suggest you can just crop each size for the corresponding images for her since she's printing them herself.

Also, if she wants your watermark on the photos, maybe just do the wallets. My mom would hate to have a watermark on a nice 8x10 or 5x7's for family.

ETA: future clients will hopefully see these pictures and they might be turned off by seeing your watermark, thinking YOU as the photographer require that.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom