Cropping photos

MartaJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all

Could somebody with more experience could take a look at my images and give me some clue on how to best crop them? I would like the photos to be printed A4 sort of size so they could be well visible exhibited. Maybe 16:20 or 12:18 ? I would not like much to be cropped as I like them the way they are in-camera. Would 11:15 cropp be possible and if yes in what software? Please help :)

Marta

Attachments

• $Cave Hill Belfast March 2012 025 obrobione.JPG
    $Cave Hill Belfast March 2012 025 obrobione.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 101
  • $Cave Hill Belfast March 2012 obrobione 4.JPG
    $Cave Hill Belfast March 2012 obrobione 4.JPG
    827.7 KB · Views: 111
  • $Cave Hill Belfast March 2012 obrobione 6.JPG
    $Cave Hill Belfast March 2012 obrobione 6.JPG
    533.9 KB · Views: 97
This is a conundrum. You're asking for help with cropping but then you've said you don't really want them cropped because you like them the way they are out of the camera... also you've marked your profile to indicate that it is "not ok" to edit your images.

#1 & #3 are easy for me. Whack out more than half of the sky.

Why? The sky isn't contributing to the image. When I look for the interest in the image, all the interesting stuff is at the bottom. There's not enough drama or contrast in the sky -- the clouds aren't popping for me. So why have it in there? The sky in #1 distracts me from noticing the little boy in the foreground.

#2 is a bit tougher because you've got a lot of decisions to make. There are a lot of ways to crop this. For example... if I want to show the vertical height of this hill then a vertical crop would help do that. The "lines" suggested by the paths people are following are "leading". They do effectively lead us to that cave. So the cave can be a destination and if you think about the cropping to get the "lines" to lead us to the destination then the people at the far right are a distraction because they divert us off the path you want our eyes to follow. So you might think about cropping that out if you think about that aspect of composition. Again... lots of decisions for YOU to make. Think about the "story" you want this image to tell. If it doesn't help your "story", get rid of it.

Try online image cropping on this web site : http://www.biclim.com

Hi all

Could somebody with more experience could take a look at my images and give me some clue on how to best crop them? I would like the photos to be printed A4 sort of size so they could be well visible exhibited. Maybe 16:20 or 12:18 ? I would not like much to be cropped as I like them the way they are in-camera. Would 11:15 cropp be possible and if yes in what software? Please help :)

Marta

Most reactions

Back