Cropping terminology

lvcrtrs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to be able to communicate better when I talk about how much I crop something. I usually just say "Big Crop". I've seen people speak of percentage crop. Can someone explain it to me?

The only % crop is a 100% crop - that is when you take the image at fullsize in the editing program and then cut a small section out of it (A few 100 pixels). The idea is that you can then show the image quality as it is as fullsize to others on the internet without having to post the whole image (since that is timeconsuming plus if its on the net that large anyone can use it for any purpose).
Typically its not used for normal image cropping but more to just show quality *unlessy you get a very good shot).
If you want to show better how much cropping is taking place in your shots then best thing is to show two versions - the first being the whole shot (resized for hte net of course) and the second being the cropped version that you made

You usually see "100% crop" which just means that someone cropped a part so that it fits to view in the forum without needing to resize to show details of a photo for some reason or another.

I've never seen any other terminology but "100% crop" used.

Edit: I'm slow. 2:19 for Overread and 2:24 for me. FTR, I open several threads in tabs before reading, so I'm not that slow.... :D

FTR, I open several threads in tabs before reading, so I'm not that slow.... :D

hehe I do as well - its the only way to keep up with the net - I remember the dark ages before tabbed browsing - dozens of IE windows open at once -- the number of crashes that had........

mrodgers
Not to worry - better to get extra help then no help, and you never know when you may explain something in a way someone might understand better.

Thanks to all. You'll probably see me all over the site for awhile, then I'll just fade away. It's like that when you are first getting things figured out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back