Cry Me An Emo Guitarist

JonnyVPA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Scranton, PA is my Hometown but im constantly movi
These 2 are from a shoot i did 2 weeks ago involving a hardcore band named "Mayella"... .pretty good.. a little emo for my taste... but i enjoyed the show as well as shooting them. I Personally like these 2 the best of all 36 shots

Lemme know what you think....

Guitar1copy.jpg

George2cw.jpg

I'm not a personal fan of cutting off someones feet, I'm pretty against it, but for some reason in #2 I didn't even notice it until after I looked at the imagine for about a minute trying to find something wrong. Thats all the bad I can come up with, and its not even bad because I usually find it a total eye sore.

Now to what I found good:

Your B&W's are very good (saw your self-portrait w/ the smoke in restaurant earlier). Your contrast is incredible, which being a band shot is very needed. Bands look horrible in soft lighting, unless its some pansy hold hands while crossing the street that attends church on Tuesdays band. Your blacks are very black, your whites are white enough to still show detail and not get a washed out feel. Thats about the best balance you could achieve.

I also like that there is almost a "backlight" around #2's head, which is needed because if there wasn't he'd probably loose his hair line to the dark wall. Intentional or not, nice work.

For the color image, your skin tone looks great and depth of field is right on (I can tell you went as shallow as you could to get the chick in the background out of there, any more and the guitar tip wouldn't be in focus). My only improvement to the color pic would have been a hair light, which would have killed the girl in the background and given your subject more dominance. Not the easiest thing to do outside a studio, though something I've found helpful in dark concerts where mobility is vital, bring a flash light and have a friend be your personal boon.

yano... i never tohught about bringing a flashlight.... but in most cases its very hard to catch a hairlight over thses guys... they move so damn fast im constantly moving with them....... its mostly all pre-thoughtout camerawork....... basically all these photos are, are just bounced flash

Equip: Nikon N90s, Sigma 28-90mm, or Nikkor 200mm, Nikon SB-26 Speedlite

The second one is great.

In the first one.. did that guy just take out his plugs or something? His ear has that nasty hole in it. Guess it fits for the whole scene thing though..

Most reactions

Back