CS4 vs. PS Elements

nsupanda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use Photoshop Elements and I love it. I was looking into buying Photoshop CS4 but it's around $600-$700. I know elements is photoshop "lite" but is there a HUGE difference between the two? I've never used CS4 and I intend on downloading the 30 day trial, but I was hoping to get some info from you guys on what components of CS4 are better than Elements and what does CS4 have that Elements doesn't (I'm sure there's a list of things).

I see on your profile that you're a 'mommy'. Adobe has a great student discount. If you're not a student or faculty member, buy CS4 through them if they are school age. CS4 extended with student discount is only $199 (and Lightroom 2 is only $99).

I see on your profile that you're a 'mommy'. Adobe has a great student discount. If you're not a student or faculty member, buy CS4 through them if they are school age. CS4 extended with student discount is only $199 (and Lightroom 2 is only $99).

Well, my daughter will be in 1st grade, will that fly? LOL :lol:

Well, my daughter will be in 1st grade, will that fly? LOL :lol:

I don't remember ever seeing an age limit :lol: You could check the Adobe site rules though (look under education store). She's precocious, right? Careful, though, she might ask you to buy her a 1Ds MK II

... just checked ... it says K-12 student ...

https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-EDU&event=displayEduConditions

Upgrading from Elements to CS4 blew me away. For me though, the cost was easily justifiable as a business expense.

Just the extra features CS4 allows in ACR were well worth the upgrade for me. Plus, Bridge is much better than Element's Organizer.

The ultimate though is both Lightroom 2 and CS4. The excellent database management tools of Lightroom and almost unlimited editing capabilities of CS4 together are unbeatable. So, if you can afford $1100 for both...........

OR Get Lightroom and use Elements for the things Lightroom can't do.

I bought LR2 and CS4 together for $300 with my academic discount ... great deal ... and it looks like you could get the same price since your daughter is K-12.

Well, I just purchased it for "my daughter". I was lucky to have a letter in my purse from her school that said she was enrolled in the 1st grade for 2009-2010. Adobe customer service will have to review it, and I'm sure they'll call the school to verify, but how can they turn me down when their website clearly states K-12? Never heard of a 1st grader using photoshop, but oh well. :) We'll see.

Well, I just purchased it for "my daughter". I was lucky to have a letter in my purse from her school that said she was enrolled in the 1st grade for 2009-2010. Adobe customer service will have to review it, and I'm sure they'll call the school to verify, but how can they turn me down when their website clearly states K-12? Never heard of a 1st grader using photoshop, but oh well. :) We'll see.

Great! Let us know if it works out for you! I just hope your daughter lets you use it occasionally.

Oh my goodness! I've been dreaming of getting CS4 for a long time & have settled for Elements (which has been great for the price). I was even tossing around the idea of taking a class that would qualify me for a student discount. Little did I know that my 6th grade daughter would actually SAVE me money! :hug::

Thanks for the info!

Hmm, I will have to look into this. I SO badly want CS4 but I thought it was college students or k-12 teachers. I don't have kids but I have 2 little brothers. :D

Adobe is going to wonder why there is a run on CS4 by grade-schoolers. :lmao: It must have something to do with the 'No kid left behind' curricula :lol:

Get Lightroom and use Elements for the things Lightroom can't do.

What is Lightroom used for anyway?
Lightroom was designed by Adobe to be an image database manager. They included a very capable RAW editor, a souped up version of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). Many people use Lightroom as their image editor though it lacks many of the capabilities of CS4 or even Elements.

Adobe is going to wonder why there is a run on CS4 by grade-schoolers. :lmao: It must have something to do with the 'No kid left behind' curricula :lol:

Update: I received my $200 CS4 in the mail yesterday!!! How cool is that?!?!?!?!?!?

Any discounts for a highschool student?! :lol:

Ive just been downloading trials for months now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back