Current info on new build

jamesdak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looking to replace an old 2005 desktop. Did a search and found some posts referencing newegg builds but they are a bit old and some of the items not available. So looking for some help.

Basically I am working with a max budget of $1000 for the desktop itself. Will source a new monitor later. Not looking to jump onto the Windows 8 bandwagon right now either.

My needs, I shoot a lot of RAW images and currently have about 3 TB of digital images archived. I have also added a Canon 7D to my tooklit so video is a developing need for me now also. So lots of storage is a need. Also I'd like a reasonable SSD to use as the boot drive.

So I am thinking a fast processor with lots of HD storage space. The SSD, 16 GB ram (?), A GPU card for the video work, decent power supply to handle any future upgrades, lost of USB ports as I have multiple external drives, at least a DVD writer if not maybe a Blu-ray if it fits in budget.

Will be jumping up to CS6 but still deciding on my video editing software. No adverse to buying a built system but suspect building one myself will give me better bang for the buck.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated... I tend to keep systems a long time and have totally lost touch with today's technology. But I do have over 20 years working on electronics and have no concerns about actually putting the system together. Just not sure about the parts and all compatibility issues.

I

64 bit operating system or PS maxes out the ram it can use at 4G.
For your main hard drive you don't necessarily need a huge hard drive and the solid state drive is very nice. I just switched to it a few weeks ago and I am extremely pleased. Keep only your working programs and POSSIBLY your working files on it.
A RAID setup is ideal for your other drives. 3TB is nothing in archives and it's only going to get worse as you go. I go through somewhere around 100G in a month during my busiest seasons. In short SSD isn't ideal for your storage as it's still cost prohibitive.
I only run 2 'memory' drives at a time from the main computer. Hard drives only have so many hours of expected life and if they are running non stop that endangers your archives. One hard drive I keep my working files on and the second hard drive is a clone of it that stores my on-site backup. I have an off site back up that I can network into that everything is also copied on to. When the main working drive is full THAT one gets archived as does the off site. The secondary drive moves up to the main drive and a new one is installed in the secondary slot as the backup. Running more than 3 drives (System drive, working storage and archive) is kind of pointless to me, but you may have different needs.

Make sure you have a good cooling system and a beefed up power supply. Photoshop is actually incredibly power intensive and if you have a weak power supply it will drag EVERYTHING down-or shut you down.

You can build a white box out of Tiger Direct and if you need help they've got all kinds of help for you.

Not sure If this is your first build but if it is make sure you don't go cheap on your case. Some cut corners here and regret it later with power supply failures, loud fans and rattling.

I would look on Craigslist for MacBook Pro, I got mine for $1100 and has 8gb ram,i7, 220gb SSD, 15" screen, and it's a Mac, much more reliable in my opinion and this is coming from a guy that used PC his entire life, once you go Mac, you never go back.

But, if you build, use newegg and like others said don't cheap out on stuff, get good Ram and lots of it, big PS (corsair or equivalent) could prolly save money on a motherboard if you don't care about USB 3.0, Asus or MSI makes good ones, get a GPU with Hdmi outs and I would get an i7 if you plan to run multiple programs at once.

Last edited:
Buying a Mac is basically the opposite of building your own PC.

Yeah like a lot of photographers I hear how great a MaC is but each time I start pricing it out it just does not make sense to me. Nothing against them but wow they are expensive and you seem to be pretty much stuck with them as the source for any/all upgrades...

There is a belief that macs are superior for media editing and I really don't know why. I was talking with a tech at my photolab who made a smirk when I told her I edit on a PC. I wonder if she thinks Photoshop runs better on a Mac.

Yeah like a lot of photographers I hear how great a MaC is but each time I start pricing it out it just does not make sense to me. Nothing against them but wow they are expensive and you seem to be pretty much stuck with them as the source for any/all upgrades...

It's the lack of vulnerability of a PC for one. I'd love to go Mac, but I can't justify the price for it either. I'd rather dump that $ into a good monitor and calibration

Most reactions

Back