CYC Wall Ceiling Height Constraints

dtme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I could use some feedback on the probability of constructing a cyc wall inside my house. I can open up the ceiling in one room into the attic to get the height of 14' plus. One concern is a header that drops the ceiling height to 8' at about 13' in the length; the room ceiling height is 9'. The Cyc wall I want to construct would be 8' in width and approximately 12' in height I have included a drawing of the room as a reference.

VXIRBZt.jpg

I would at least get a knowledgeable contractor in to look at it, if not a structural engineer. Removing the wrong parts of your home's skeleton can be a costly and dangerous mistake.

Only 8 feet wide? That does not sound like it'd really be all that helpful.

I would at least get a knowledgeable contractor in to look at it, if not a structural engineer. Removing the wrong parts of your home's skeleton can be a costly and dangerous mistake.

Sound advice, I am currently remodeling and working with both.

Only 8 feet wide? That does not sound like it'd really be all that helpful.

The room is only about 12'. I was thinking about either centering or rounding one corner.

I too can't fathom how useful a Cyc wall would be in a 12' room, because the camera would need to be 12' or more from the subject.
The subject would need to be 6 to 10 feet from the Cyc wall plus the subject to camera distance.
Diagonally, a 12 foot square room is just short of 17 feet corner to corner.
Figure you'll lose at least 3 feet from the of the room size from the Cyc curve at the floor and in the corner.

If you plan to be shooting at less that 10' from your subject i don't think a Cyc wall would be of any practical use.
A Cyc wall looks kinda neat, but .........

I would recommend just using 107" or wider seamless paper.

I too can't fathom how useful a Cyc wall would be in a 12' room, because the camera would need to be 12' or more from the subject.
The subject would need to be 6 to 10 feet from the Cyc wall plus the subject to camera distance.
Diagonally, a 12 foot square room is just short of 17 feet corner to corner.
Figure you'll lose at least 3 feet from the of the room size from the Cyc curve at the floor and in the corner.

If you plan to be shooting at less that 10' from your subject i don't think a Cyc wall would be of any practical use.
A Cyc wall looks kinda neat, but .........

I would recommend just using 107" or wider seamless paper.

The room is approximately 12' width x 25' length. The width of the wall would be 8'.

From your description, it would seem that the beam at 8' height is going to limit your vertical size, so building a tall wall beyond that seems like a waste of time and money.

From your description, it would seem that the beam at 8' height is going to limit your vertical size, so building a tall wall beyond that seems like a waste of time and money.

If I replace the beam with inset steel support I can get my height back up to 9', would that then be adequate?

If I replace the beam with inset steel support I can get my height back up to 9', would that then be adequate?
I wouldn't know what you consider "adequate" for your purposes. If all you need is a few more inches, then replace the existing wooden beam with some new expensive steel.

You wrote: "I can open up the ceiling in one room into the attic to get the height of 14' plus."

So draw it out to scale to see if your field of view will reach that 14' height.

Why stop at replacing the header with a steel beam? Why not just alter the roof line and not have to worry about it. Push out that other wall too so that you have more than 8' of width while you're at it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back