D-90 Waterproofing

are these plastic camera armor sets really effective against heavy rain? anyone tried them out?

The armor sets are not intended for protection against weather at all. I would think it will actually trap water between the armor and body.

However my dad's D80 tumbled down a cliff in Hawaii last year and suffered no damage while using body armor.

Benson... it's not the bodies that keep people away from Pentax...

And I seem to talk with lots other brand users that seem much more timid with the elements. I've talked to plenty of 1D, 5D, D3 and so on user that are scared of the rain. Doesn't mean those cameras can't take it, I'm sure they can.
With the exception of the 5D, you're right - they can take it. The 1D and D3 are two of the best built bodies on the market. If people are scared to get them wet, it's out of ignorance and nothing more.

There's perception then there is reality. I honesly don't care about what people perceive to be true.

669209639_cVKqE-L.jpg

I'll stick my 1D under running water to get sand off.

As for the D90, unless you're caught in a down pour you have little to worry about. I know lots of people that take their 40D's, D90's, etc. out into the elements without any side effects.

If I had a D90 on the way, I wouldn't send it back for a Pentax.

It's nice to see a picture of a camera coated with raindrops. I live in one of the rainiest areas of the USA. I personally think all this talk about weather sealing is a bit overblown at most levels. Tom, the amount of water your D90 would accumulate in a walk through the woods would be pretty minimal.

For extended, heavy rainfall, like say a three and a half hour football game in the rain, professionals typically use the AquaTech brand of camera rain gear. A sudden rain shower that lasts five minutes is one thing; 180 to 200 minutes outdoors covering a sports event brings out the camera raingear. All the TV news cameramen I've been around use camera raingear even if it's sprinkling and "looks like it might" rain, but then, they have an $80,000 ENG camera to protect. I have the AquaTech raingear that holds a pro body with grip and a 300/2.8 with lens hood, or other similar sized lens. It works pretty well. I bought the blue colored model

If you have $5,000 invested in a lens and $4500 in a body, it's just not smart to let it get wet when there is good camera raingear available like Aqua Tech. I definitely would not worry too much about condensation that accumulates while hiking. Check out what real professionals say about rain gear here SportsShooter.com - Camera Rain Gear

i need a solution to take pictures under heavy rain

I already posted a solution.... does this not work?

Post #15
Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

Or you could just make one out of a garbage bag.

it's not practical, and annoying when taking a picture. the camera armor might have done it if it was waterproof. bah...

Well then if thats impractical go ahead and be my guest to buy a D3 and 1d mk3 and don't worry about it. If you don't want to or can't go out to spend 5k on a camera then you can get that cover or just go out with what you have and risk it but there isn't going to be this solution that is invisible that protects your camera and is only 20 dollars.
tj

I already posted a solution.... does this not work?

Post #15
Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

Or you could just make one out of a garbage bag.

it's not practical, and annoying when taking a picture. the camera armor might have done it if it was waterproof. bah...

Well then if thats impractical go ahead and be my guest to buy a D3 and 1d mk3 and don't worry about it. If you don't want to or can't go out to spend 5k on a camera then you can get that cover or just go out with what you have and risk it but there isn't going to be this solution that is invisible that protects your camera and is only 20 dollars.
tj

Or buy a K20d for $650 and get it as wet as you want...?

What does, then?

There really is no point in going down this path. :thumbdown:

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, or why you would make a statement obviously meant to infer something, then not say what you meant when asked. But whatever.

Because he is saying how pentax isn't his top choice when it comes to looking at a new camera and most likely doesn't want to go on a rant about all this and tell you why not pentax. I agree with him for stopping where he did. You have many more and better lens choices with the other companies and they also make plenty good weather sealed cameras. I've seen lots of pro's shooting in rain and snow but yet to see there hands wrapped around a pentax not saying though that people should only shoot what the pro's do because you will go broke very quickly.

There really is no point in going down this path. :thumbdown:

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, or why you would make a statement obviously meant to infer something, then not say what you meant when asked. But whatever.

Because he is saying how pentax isn't his top choice when it comes to looking at a new camera and most likely doesn't want to go on a rant about all this and tell you why not pentax. I agree with him for stopping where he did. You have many more and better lens choices with the other companies and they also make plenty good weather sealed cameras. I've seen lots of pro's shooting in rain and snow but yet to see there hands wrapped around a pentax not saying though that people should only shoot what the pro's do because you will go broke very quickly.

Fair enough.

hey,
i got a rebel xsi, anyone knows anything about this one being waterproof or not? i can't seem to find anything on the subject...

I don't think it has any water proofing, but I used mine all day in moderate drizzle, kept it wiped off, and haven't had any problems since.

Two things ...

One ... camera armor, IMHO, is a waste of $$. I got rid of mine. All it seemed to do was act as a dust magnet.

Two ... even if your camera is weatherproof, that doesn't mean your lenses are too. This is the issue I have now with my 7D -- the camera is, but none of my lenses are.

Thank you all for all the information. I think I may e-mail Nikon and see what they have to say. By the way; I had an experience several years ago video taping (VHS) in San Francisco's Conservatory (of flowers). The morning was cold (40f) and inside the conservatory it was about 85f and 80 to 90% humidity. The camera was cold going in and after about 15 minutes it stopped and a water drop icon appeared in the view finder. It took about two hours in a warm room to dehumidify it. After that I put the camera in the car floor by the heater to warm it up before going in and it worked just fine.

If I get an answer from Nikon, I'll post it. Thanks again, Tom Beard

Thank you all for all the information. I think I may e-mail Nikon and see what they have to say. By the way; I had an experience several years ago video taping (VHS) in San Francisco's Conservatory (of flowers). The morning was cold (40f) and inside the conservatory it was about 85f and 80 to 90% humidity. The camera was cold going in and after about 15 minutes it stopped and a water drop icon appeared in the view finder. It took about two hours in a warm room to dehumidify it. After that I put the camera in the car floor by the heater to warm it up before going in and it worked just fine.

If I get an answer from Nikon, I'll post it. Thanks again, Tom Beard

Even a weather proof camera does not want condensation. Never go from hot to cold ever! Water will build inside the camera in all the important electrical stuff. If going from cold to hot make sure to put the camera in a zip lock bag or even your camera bag and leave it to adjust for a hour or more to be safe and then open it from there and all will be good. gl
tj

Most reactions

New Topics

Back