D300 or D300s

JLEphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eldridgestudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can get a good D300 for about 1200.00 verses 1700ish for a D300s. Is it really worth the 500 extra? I currently own a D200 (great camera). I have no need for the video feature of the D300s. Thanks in advance for your comments.

For $500 you basically get:

Video
Dual card slots
Better thumb wheel (in my opinion)

Only you can make the call if it's worth the extra $500. From what I've read, if you already have a D300 and don't need video - don't worry about it, however if you're upgrading from another body, it's worth it.

I assume you are comparing a used D300 to a new D300s, so along with that $500 you also get a warranty and 0 clicks - you'll also need to factor in piece of mind.

I really don't think either choice is going to hinder your ability, and both are a serious upgrade from a D200 as far as I'm concerned (speaking from experience with both).

Enjoy!

Just an aside...through Bing Cashback program you can get a D300s for closer to $1500-$1550.

A used D300 for only $500 less than a new D300s? I would say, "that depends." Do you have a link and/or more info?

As for the differences...

Nikon D300S vs D300: Key Differences

The D300S is a subtle upgrade from the D300; but aside from the obvious addition of video, there are a few other tweaks and additions:

* 720p HD video, including autofocus while recording
* SD card slot in addition to existing CF slot
* Faster continuous shooting (7fps, vs. 6fps)
* Socket for external microphone
* Live View and Info buttons
* Discrete 'OK' button in multi controller
* Interactive settings display screen
* Auto and Extra High Active D-Lighting options
* Quiet drive mode
* Virtual horizon

Nikon D300S brief hands-on: Digital Photography Review

get the D300s, the extra card slot alone is worth it! the video is fun to play with! but again the extra slot for memory card alone is great! and its a newer camera!

I didn't know about the Bing Cashback.... THANKS!!!! The D300 I was refering to was actually used from B&H. I would rather have the D300s considering the price break... However, my luck is as soon as I get the D300s a D400 will come out. Any rumors on when/if that might happen?

that won't happen till late 2011, don't worry, you'll love your D300s and it will have more things for you to play with and learn about than you can imagine!! don't think about the D400 and when it will be released, cuz it won't be for a while!

Just to throw another question in here.... How about the D700 compared to the D300s... Is the full frame that much better ($2400.00)? I was a slide film guy until I bought the D200 a couple of years ago.

Depends who you ask I suppose... I'll probably never shoot full frame (at least not until the price comes down).

A lot of my shots are of wildlife so I appreciate the crop sensors virtual extra reach. If I did a lot of weddings I'd be all over the D700 however.

I understand. I am a nature/wildlife photographer but have an interest in other subjects. For the price of a D700 though I could get a D300s and a few extras...

get the D300s, the extra card slot alone is worth it! the video is fun to play with! but again the extra slot for memory card alone is great! and its a newer camera!
For $500 wouldn't it make more sense to just get a higher capacity CF card for the D300?

I can't see how the card slot alone is worth it. it's cool....but $500 cool?

I didn't know about the Bing Cashback.... THANKS!!!! The D300 I was refering to was actually used from B&H. I would rather have the D300s considering the price break... However, my luck is as soon as I get the D300s a D400 will come out. Any rumors on when/if that might happen?
If you waited for the next development you'd never get a new body. The way technology is advancing now I'm expecting a new body from each of the big manufacturers at least once a year.

I've decided that when buying technology, it being outdated within a year's time is just part of it.

For $500 wouldn't it make more sense to just get a higher capacity CF card for the D300?

It's not only for capacity, but backup... it can be set to write to both at the same time, write RAW to one and JPG to the other, etc.

It's not only for capacity, but backup... it can be set to write to both at the same time, write RAW to one and JPG to the other, etc.
Oh..didn't know simultaneous writing was an option. In that case I can see the benefit of the extra slot.

Most reactions

Back